CS #655 - Anything about music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Ken St John
Hope I can squeeze in ....

Been on the road a lot this week, including two, cross state jaunts to Pullman, WA, last weekend to help our son get setup in his new apartment. Driving across the very rural areas of Washington remind me just how much satellite radio has made music on the road a lot better.

That being said, I'm not much of a fan of their "fees," and I'm seriously thinking about dropping the service when the plan is finished and just use my phone's 128GB of storage instead!!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers!!

Ken

Hope I can squeeze in ....

Been on the road a lot this week, including two, cross state jaunts to Pullman, WA, last weekend to help our son get setup in his new apartment. Driving across the very rural areas of Washington remind me just how much satellite radio has made music on the road a lot better.

That being said, I'm not much of a fan of their "fees," and I'm seriously thinking about dropping the service when the plan is finished and just use my phone's 128GB of storage instead!!

View attachment 1639739

Cheers!!

Ken
Nice! If it is Sirius, you can definitely negotiate much longer fees with them. I get all channels, for ~$7/month.

I'm seriously thinking about dropping the service when the plan is finished and just use my phone's 128GB of storage instead!!
I recently bought my first car with satellite radio in it. It's six years old, so it also has a CD player and I always enjoy playing CDs. However, I recently rented a car that didn't have a CD player because the Bluetooth connectivity made it possible to play music. I dread the day that I'll have to change my listening devices merely to play music in the car.

Last edited:
You made it happen on this last day of the shoot. I also plan to squeeze one in.

Did you mean lower, longer contract period, or both?
When I bought my car, I got Sirius free for a year (with every channel), after than, they had a 5 month package for about $25 total with all the channels.

After that, it goes to some $28/month rate! So I called customer service and asked if the "promotion" could be extended, as I wasn't willing to pay more than $5/mo (I have Amazon prime and can play through my phone to car). Did that a few times, and to haggle a bit (I hate to do), where I would say I want to cancel, and they would offer packages (like basic music package for $13/mo, which is all that I wanted, but still too much). transfer me to the "manager", and then offer promotions, but still only for 5 months at a whack.

Finally, after the 3rd renewal or so, they said the promotion was no longer available. I told them it was not worth it to me and held fast. Finally, the manager on this call, said they can give me the same kitchen sink package, for just over $7 a month (that's including fees/taxes/etc), and it would auto renew each year. No more calling. I took that package.

My wife, who doesn't want to haggle at all, pays $13/mo for just music channels. She doesn't want me to haggle for her and was adamant about just paying the rate, as she loves to listen to music in the car.

IMHO, if you are willing to hold fast to "I'm sorry, but I don't think it is worth it to me to pay $X" and have a price $5-8 in mind, they'll work it out. It is better for them to get $7/mo vs $0/mo.

Now, I need to do the same with Comcast...

This is my last photo in this week's Collective Shoot, a close-up at a magnification ratio of about 1:1.4 of part of the bridge and saddle of my friend's Martin acoustic guitar. Sorry that I don't know the model, but its body is large enough that it's designed for use in a concert hall without making use of its electronic pickup.

I have been photographing my friend's collection of guitars off and on and I picked this one up just a couple of days ago. I always make a variety of photos displaying everything from the entire instrument in one shot to close-ups such as this and a few shots in between. This is my first photo of the guitar and I look forward to making the others.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is my last photo in this week's Collective Shoot, a close-up at a magnification ratio of about 1:1.4 of part of the bridge and saddle of my friend's Martin acoustic guitar. Sorry that I don't know the model, but its body is large enough that it's designed for use in a concert hall without making use of its electronic pickup.

I have been photographing my friend's collection of guitars off and on and I picked this one up just a couple of days ago. I always make a variety of photos displaying everything from the entire instrument in one shot to close-ups such as this and a few shots in between. This is my first photo of the guitar and I look forward to making the others.

View attachment 1639744
Nicely done Mike!

I love the details of tuning machines. What does "Grover" refer to? What is being reflected in the handle? My guess is that the reflection of the person in the screw head is you; good self portrait!
Yup that's me and a bad view of my kitchen. Grover is a well regarded manufacturer of tuning machines Gibson has used for years. My '64 Gibson had Grovers too.

What year was this guitar first released?
When I bought my first bass in 1964, Gibson made two basses. The EB-0 and the EB-2. The EB-2 was a ES-335 (think Lucille) semi-hollow body bass. The EB-0 was a solid body that has stayed on the market for years with an additional pick-up. The later iterations like mine (bought new in 2006) have been called the SG bass, since they share the same body as the SG guitar.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you Mike.
You've hosted a surprising week and the participants have shown wonderful interesting pictures.

Thank you all
Klaus

(I have Amazon prime and can play through my phone to car).

I'm curious can you provide some detail on how to play Amazon Prime to your car?
I have Prime. Would I need an App as well? Will it let you play certain music as Sirius will let you select 50's, 60"s, classical. Any sports channels available?

(I have Amazon prime and can play through my phone to car).

I'm curious can you provide some detail on how to play Amazon Prime to your car?
I have Prime. Would I need an App as well? Will it let you play certain music as Sirius will let you select 50's, 60"s, classical. Any sports channels available?
It’s a function of the car, as I can select external media device and then play whatever I want from the phone (Amazon, audio files, podcasts, etc).

For Amazon, there is a Amazon Music app on my phone.

Prime has a bunch of music “stations” with individual artists, old and new, and categories (hip hop, rock, country, blues, jazz,...). I think there are some year related stations, and a comedy channel. I don’t think it has sports/talk stations. I think you can upload music you have to the cloud, and I have some “purchased” music that I did years ago and can access them too.

They have some “unlimited” plan, but it is like $8-9/mo more.

For me, only interested into listening to music when on the go (running the lawn mower, doing yard work), the audio quality is fine.

YMMV

hanks for hosting this week's collective shoot Mike!
Thanks Mike, great hosting.
Thank you Mike.
Thank you to all of you and to everyone who participated. It was especially enjoyable for me that the photos took us to related, interesting discussions. I'll continue to keep an eye on the thread to be on the lookout for follow-up to those discussions and for any photos that were captured during the Collective Shoot that aren't yet posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom