CS #655 - Anything about music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Music is very important in our society, so much so that most people would find it difficult to escape hearing music for an entire day even if that was their preference. This week's theme is photos of anything providing a direct or indirect example of the pervasiveness of music in our society. Don't limit yourself to the examples mentioned below.

REMINDER: All photos should be captured beginning 12:00am Thursday, May 30 and ending 12:00am Thursday, June 6 your local time.

Direct Examples
Photos of musical instruments
Photos of anything used to listen to music
Photos of printed music
Photos of people performing music

Indirect Examples
Photos of activities conducted or things made while listening to music
Photos of people listening to music
Photos of places where people listen to music
Photos of anything commemorating music

NOTE: If your photo does not obviously convey something about music, please explain the photo's connection with music. As an example, if you cook while listening to music (as I do), please don't hesitate to post a snapshot of the food you cooked accompanied by an explanation that you made it while listening to music.

Example photos:

Musical Instrument
Mike 2010-12-04--541-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Music from the Medieval Period

Mike 1999-10-17--018-L.jpg

Detail from the Vienna State Opera House
Mike 1985-03-01--089-L.jpg

First Running of the Nashville Country Music Marathon
Mike 2000-04-29--006-L.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Doug
Timely theme for me. Heading to Red Rocks in Denver tomorrow for a Bela Fleck concert. I've seen Bela a number of times but, although I've lived in Colorado 40 years I've never attended a concert at Red Rocks. Probably will only have the cell phone camera but hope to get something worthy of posting relevant to the theme.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you Mike for hosting.
We'll leave home now and we'll return on Saturday.
I got some ideas already.

Klaus

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Timely theme for me. Heading to Red Rocks in Denver tomorrow for a Bela Fleck concert. I've seen Bela a number of times but, although I've lived in Colorado 40 years I've never attended a concert at Red Rocks. Probably will only have the cell phone camera but hope to get something worthy of posting relevant to the theme.
Doug, have you attended the Stevie Nicks concert?
I love the video a lot...

Kind regards
Klaus

Probably my most treasured Music Related Possession. I persuaded Wes Montgomery to autograph the front of this book which I had purchased before going to see him at Ronnie Scott's Old Place in London 54 years ago in 1965. There is a link between Wes and Charlie Christian. It says "The Best, Wes Montgomery" - It remains so today and probably will do for some time to come (just my opinion). I think that he meant: "Wishing you the best" but was slightly embarrassed at being asked for an autograph. I have de-saturated the reds and emphasised the Blue - it is starting to fade after all this time.
750_3497Wes-Auto.jpg

Last edited:
Lyle Lovett at The King Center in Melbourne, Florida.

Wonderful photo, but please remember, as mentioned in the first post of the thread, that all photos are to be captured between May 30 and June 6. That's a Collective Shoot rule that encourages people to make new photos. Don't remove the photo from the thread, as it will inspire people to contribute similar photos that are so enjoyable perhaps captured this weekend.

Last edited:
Last year in the middle of May I began devoting time every day to listening with undivided attention to my collection of classical music. Just yesterday I finished listening to the set of 13 CDs of the complete works for solo piano composed by Chopin and played by Vladimir Ashkenazy. This photo is of those 13 CDs.

Just a very quick shot made in my makeshift studio; it's not up to my usual standards due to lack of time.

Mike 2019-05-30--003-S.jpg

Last edited:
Mike have you ever checked Amazon?

I occasionally buy CDs from Amazon sometimes using orders fulfilled by Amazon and sometimes not. Most of the time I buy used CDs from a local brick and mortar store. I take my list of music I want to buy to fill out my collection to that store. It's lots of fun like in the good old days of thumbing through the CDs, sometimes coming across the ideal recording and sometimes coming across a recording I wasn't looking for but decided would be a great fit. When I come across CDs that I'm interested in, I play parts of them on their CD player and listen using their headphones before deciding to make the purchase.

I never buy MP3 files. Tough they're quite good and especially small, they don't have the same fidelity as the original file formats used to produce the original CDs.

10 hours and more of music for 99 cents.

I forgot to respond to that. Those entry-level offerings are fantastic for people who have one or more of the following needs:
  • Deciding what you like with regard to period of classical music, performance style, recording style, etc.
  • Listening to music primarily in the background while doing other things
  • Wanting lots of music that costs very little, practically nothing
  • Wanting lots of music requiring relatively little storage space (this works because MP3 files are so small)
I'm in the stage when I'm rather selective about the music I listen to and I listen to it with undivided attention. So, I'm willing to pay a bit more though I sure am glad audio CDs are so much less expensive than they used to be because of the large used market.

Last edited:
I bought the Big Bach Set. 10 hours of music for 99 cents.
I travel to San Diego at least once a week for work.
About a 2 hour trip each way.
I connect the Iphone to my car speakers and I'm good. Very relaxing.

="Mike Buckley,
Very effective at making the note and signature stand out. That worked well.

It took me ages to figure out what you meant by "note". I think that you are referring to the price on the bottom right?

Nine shillings was the equivalent of 45 pence today. It says something like $1.50 underneath. Books of this kind sell for around 40 times that amount today.

That's enough music for two round trips and a one-way trip. What composer is next up after that? :ROFLMAO:

Actually I was thinking about activating my satellite radio again.
The Bach set is 10 hours of music but uses about 1 GB of space on my Iphone.
If I get many more of those it might take up more space than I would like it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom