CS #655 - Anything about music

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaker.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

KEF Q1

A Bit of age and dust on them...

psD0mbGxEzlZVdcbCZaO9GPMXw5vG6zlV0zq0JaIrGz27aAEzq4kdKHMRQNehyONuLTHAzPS0nJeZeSwQ4=w719-h1024-no.jpg

but they still play Eric Copeland quite well!

(notice part of the crossover circuit through the reflex port)

Real Name
Paul
Nick you must have bought it when I did.
It was a fellow Café member who brought it to my attention.
We are much more than a Nikon camera site.

Oh Oh Nick
The pressure is on.
Mike what does Nick do when he needs to make a beverage stop.
Turn the music off or let it continue while he's shopping.
Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for contributing your photo, Ed!

That's two terms I don't understand, though I've heard of the first term.

Crossover is an electronic circuit which splits the high and low frequency signals to drive different speaker elements each optimized for different frequency range output. In this design there is a woofer for the mid and lower frequencies but above 3k hz the tweeter handles the higher frequencies. The tweeter on this speaker is that shiny dot in the center, coaxial design.

All dynamic cone speakers are dipole radiators, meaning they create sound from both the front and the back of the moving cone. There are different ways of handling the lower frequency output from the rear of the speaker cone...venting the bass through a port is just one of them. Basically it allows the lower frequencies from the rear of the speaker to be added to the overall output creating a deeper sound.

Like some speakers, this one comes with foam bungs which can be inserted into the bass reflex ports to make the speaker function more as a sealed box design (kind of). That is where where the output from the rear of the speaker is basically discarded. That blocking of the port avoids peaks in bass output. This can be helpful if the speaker has to be placed close to a corner or wall where the ports added output could make the output sound boomy.

Two more from me. First, another autograph. When Tal Farlow toured the UK in the late seventies as part of the Red Norvo Trio, I took this image in a dimly lit cellar club in Cardiff. The following year, I took the print along to Tal's appearance at another local Jazz Club and he graciously signed it. I met him a few times in the following 20 or so years and we became friends.

750_3505-Tal-Farlow.jpg

Another item from my collection of memorabilia. A French stamp commemorating the life and work and the fortieth anniversary of the death of the Belgian Gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt.

750_3507-Django.jpg

DG

P.S. Both of the above taken today on my D750 with 60mm f2.8 Micro - natural light.

Last edited:
Last night my wife and I went to a performance of the National Symphony Orchestra and I photographed the program this morning. It's very unusual that a major work would be on the program that I at least didn't know about. However, I had not even heard of the last composer, Casella, much less heard any of his music. His Symphony #2, which is very romantic in a style that reminds me sometimes of Saint-Saens, sometimes Strauss and sometimes Mahler, is being championed by the conductor because it is relatively unknown. The piece, which was performed in the Kennedy Center's Concert Hall, ended with a very large orchestra and the pipe organ playing full out. Such a great way to end a concert!

Mike 2019-05-31--003-S.jpg

Last edited:
Last night my wife and I went to a performance of the National Symphony Orchestra and I photographed the program this morning. It's very unusual that a major work would be on the program that I at least didn't know about. However, I had not even heard of the last composer, Casella, much less heard any of his music. His Symphony #2, which is very romantic in a style that reminds me sometimes of Saint-Saens, sometimes Strauss and sometimes Mahler, is being championed by the conductor because it is relatively unknown. The piece, which was performed in the Kennedy Center's Concert Hall, ended with a very large orchestra and the pipe organ playing full out. Such a great way to end a concert!

View attachment 1639355

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Will have to listen to that through my KEF's

I am not much of an orchestra kind of guy, I am thinking about going to this. It's a three day event, I am free to go places and go back to listen to the artists that I like.

B3wzWuxxZ8RLpM93F8oqtDuIdwaVb-O5B52Ujtp2b7_OhwjDxLz5DA3q32U40QrIa5XefUp2Rotbs-z9mB8=w678-h864-no.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom