CS #658 - The letter "F"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I have tried lately, the hearing impaired person just looks all screwy at me. Then I have to wonder, what DID I say? My wife was sick for a very long time. She taught me some signs to use while in waiting room or when hospital staff was around and she didn’t want to be “heard.” Turns out one doctor was quite fluent in ASL. He finally let us in on that fact that he understood us. Fortunately we hadn’t said anything bad:p:D:eek:

LOL! I'll bet that doc got a kick out of watching you signing at each other and knowing just what you were discussing!

I am actually hearing-impaired but not profoundly deaf. When I was very small I went to a school for the hearing-impaired, an "oral school," where the use of sign language was strictly forbidden. Kids managed to find ways around that, though, furtively signing when teachers weren't around, etc. If a child were caught signing, his or hands were smacked -- signifying that an effort at any sort of communication other than oral was worthy of punishment. Once I was fitted with a hearing aid I began attending my own neighborhood public schools and that was that.....

MANY years later I was working in the branch of the public library which also offered specific services to the visually impaired and the hearing impaired, and it seemed logical that I should take a class or two in sign language (ASL) so that when someone came into the library there would be a librarian able to sign. I also attended meetings of a local group of deaf people and interpreters, which was very helpful, too. What I found interesting was that it took me a while to overcome the hurdle associated with the long-ingrained idea that there was something "wrong" and "bad" about using Sign, especially in public. Thankfully attitudes have changed significantly since the late 1940's and early 1950's!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Field of Flowers

Z 7 + Z 24-70/4 S + CPL

WPR-20190622-1821.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Paul
Whenever I have tried lately, the hearing impaired person just looks all screwy at me. Then I have to wonder, what DID I say? My wife was sick for a very long time. She taught me some signs to use while in waiting room or when hospital staff was around and she didn’t want to be “heard.” Turns out one doctor was quite fluent in ASL. He finally let us in on that fact that he understood us. Fortunately we hadn’t said anything bad:p:D:eek:
That made me laugh, I had learns a few gestures years ago and would use it when at the mall with my daughter, when we wanted to be discreet.

And of course, my wife uses the "toilet" sign (or at least that's what she says it is :) - from years as a teacher for special education).

Real Name
Paul
At the beach early this mornin to take pictures at a sand sculpture competition, before too many people were there. Found fast food french fries and chicken fingers...
sand-3648.jpg

And the ever popular fried dough...
sand-3653.jpg

And for sweet tooth's, fudge...
sand-3654.jpg

Real Name
Paul
For the sand sculptures, you must have a good, solid foundation, as these are 6-8 feet tall. Here is the winner for this year...

sand-3644.jpg

sand-3637.jpg

Titled... "Breaking Out".

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Speaking of food, yesterday we have hot and garlic Italian sausages on the grill with peppers and onions (no roll, as I'm on a Paleo diet)...
cs-658-171639.jpg

It was a quick cell phone shot, as with all food shots for me, there is a very small window of time, from when the food is on my plate, until it is gone! Like tonight, we had grilled Salmon with Sriracha sauce, and asparagus. By the time I realized it was fish, there was one bite left... :)

1. GoldFinch at the Feeder Feeding.
DSC_9334_PSNC.jpg

2. A Fight at the Feeder while Feeding.
DSC_9386_PSNC.jpg

3. Bull Frog.
DSC_9445_PSNC.jpg

Hi Ed. It's a blue tit, similar to your chickadee, but the closest we have to that would probably be the coal tit.
Thanks, I knew the head was wrong but am an absolute idiot on birds. Used to go birding :snaphappy:with my sis bit never learned to tell an eagle from a crow:chicken:

Speaking of food, yesterday we have hot and garlic Italian sausages on the grill with peppers and onions (no roll, as I'm on a Paleo diet)...
View attachment 1640764
It was a quick cell phone shot, as with all food shots for me, there is a very small window of time, from when the food is on my plate, until it is gone! Like tonight, we had grilled Salmon with Sriracha sauce, and asparagus. By the time I realized it was fish, there was one bite left... :)
Franks

LOL! I'll bet that doc got a kick out of watching you signing at each other and knowing just what you were discussing!

I am actually hearing-impaired but not profoundly deaf. When I was very small I went to a school for the hearing-impaired, an "oral school," where the use of sign language was strictly forbidden. Kids managed to find ways around that, though, furtively signing when teachers weren't around, etc. If a child were caught signing, his or hands were smacked -- signifying that an effort at any sort of communication other than oral was worthy of punishment. Once I was fitted with a hearing aid I began attending my own neighborhood public schools and that was that.....

MANY years later I was working in the branch of the public library which also offered specific services to the visually impaired and the hearing impaired, and it seemed logical that I should take a class or two in sign language (ASL) so that when someone came into the library there would be a librarian able to sign. I also attended meetings of a local group of deaf people and interpreters, which was very helpful, too. What I found interesting was that it took me a while to overcome the hurdle associated with the long-ingrained idea that there was something "wrong" and "bad" about using Sign, especially in public. Thankfully attitudes have changed significantly since the late 1940's and early 1950's!
Wow, that’s quite a story. Thanks for sharing it and for caring about communication with the hearing challenged. Also, this is the internet, we don’t slap hands for signing OR using a camera:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom