CS #664 - My Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Collective Shoot #664
~My Town~
August 1 -- August 7, 2019

Where you post pictures taken between Thursday (August1) starting at 12:00AM (your time zone) running thru Midnight of the following Wednesday (August 7) (your time zone)

Share with us views of your town---the good, the bad and the ugly, and everything in between. What makes it home for you? What is is known for? What can you make fun of?

Here are some archived shots to get you primed. (I realized I don't have many pictures of Moscow . . . . )

1. Panoramic view from the south.
View attachment 1642764

2. The Old High School, now the 1912 Building, a "community center"
View attachment 1642765

3. University of Idaho, Morrill Hall (it's a Land Grant Campus) on the left, the Old Memorual Gym on the right, and some new monstrosity (physics) center.
View attachment 1642766

4. Old barn on the city/state line. Probably the first DSLR shot I took. The barn is now mostly gone. Shot in 2000?
View attachment 1642768

5. Every prairie has its castles.
View attachment 1642769

6. An earlier incarnation of BoookPeople of Moscow, an independent book store that is almost 45 years old. My wife spending my our hard-earned money!
View attachment 1642771

Now, do like me and go out and shoot (but first, coffee).
Great and appealing shooting here, Nick. I've always wanted to get out to the Palouse with a camera, and we almost made it today coming back home the 500 miles from Twin Falls, but we only got at far east as Yakima & Kennewick before having to drop south. Thanks for hosting, will try to drop a few snaps once we equilibrate (and do laundry!).

Great and appealing shooting here, Nick. I've always wanted to get out to the Palouse with a camera, and we almost made it today coming back home the 500 miles from Twin Falls, but we only got at far east as Yakima & Kennewick before having to drop south. Thanks for hosting, will try to drop a few snaps once we equilibrate (and do laundry!).
We should plan to meet up someday. I'm long over due for a trip to CO. And yes, TwinFalls is best seen in the rear view mirror :eek:

Real Name
Philip Armitage
my retirement town - Otaki Beach on New Zealands Kapiti Coast, about 60 miles north of Wellington.

The first shot I flew the drone from a car park near the beach to capture a panorama - 8 shots stichced. left is north, right is south. The sea is the Tasman between NZ and our West Island (Australia). Our house is about 2/3 along the image, third street back
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The second image is further to the south near the mouth of the Otaki River and looking north

Took my camera along with me to the Farmer's Market. Unfortunately my wife is out of town and I was the chief bag hauler and box carrier, as well as photographer-in-chief, all at the same time. Fortunately the Z6 25-70 f/5 combo is easy to carry on an OpTech sling.

1. Moscow has the oldest Farmer's Market in Idaho, now in its 42nd year. It takes over 4-5 blocks of downtown every Saturday from the first Sat in May to the last one in October---rain, shine, snow or smoke.

Besides the obvious food, produce, arts etc., there is lots of every kind.And being a college town, funky stuff too. These guys, play about 20 different "instruments" from the conventional to kazoos, a foot-powered bag-pipe, a tap-dancer (standing) various accordions and whistles. They were doing a fabulous rendition of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" when I shot this! And being college kids, their spelling is original!

3. Run by 3 of my former students, Deep Roots pioneered the use of small-lot farming in town. This was our second week of REAL tomatoes!

4. A Mennonite family from the nearby town of Deary, makes fresh goat and cow cheese.

5. Not part of the maket, but I had to include this for Mike, Rick and members of the Café drinking team. My 2nd home. I worked here in my grad school years and get the "alumni" discount on my purchases!

6. Besides saving and repurposing the old school/1912 building (in my intro pics) we also did the same for the old Post Office/Federal Building. Built in 1911, it served until 1969. It was placed on the national register for historical buildings in 1973 and renovated, and now serves as City Hall.

7. Meanwhile, the feds built a new Post Office and Federal building, one that has absolutely no soul and no character.

my retirement town - Otaki Beach on New Zealands Kapiti Coast, about 60 miles north of Wellington.

The first shot I flew the drone from a car park near the beach to capture a panorama - 8 shots stichced. left is north, right is south. The sea is the Tasman between NZ and our West Island (Australia). Our house is about 2/3 along the image, third street back
View attachment 1642927

The second image is further to the south near the mouth of the Otaki River and looking north
View attachment 1642928
Nice images Phil. Love the reference to "West Island". Although they might not.

Took my camera along with me to the Farmer's Market. Unfortunately my wife is out of town and I was the chief bag hauler and box carrier, as well as photographer-in-chief, all at the same time. Fortunately the Z6 25-70 f/5 combo is easy to carry on an OpTech sling.

1. Moscow has the oldest Farmer's Market in Idaho, now in its 42nd year. It takes over 4-5 blocks of downtown every Saturday from the first Sat in May to the last one in October---rain, shine, snow or smoke.
View attachment 1642944

Besides the obvious food, produce, arts etc., there is lots of every kind.And being a college town, funky stuff too. These guys, play about 20 different "instruments" from the conventional to kazoos, a foot-powered bag-pipe, a tap-dancer (standing) various accordions and whistles. They were doing a fabulous rendition of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" when I shot this! And being college kids, their spelling is original!
View attachment 1642943

3. Run by 3 of my former students, Deep Roots pioneered the use of small-lot farming in town. This was our second week of REAL tomatoes!
View attachment 1642945

4. A Mennonite family from the nearby town of Deary, makes fresh goat and cow cheese.
View attachment 1642946

5. Not part of the maket, but I had to include this for Mike, Rick and members of the Café drinking team. My 2nd home. I worked here in my grad school years and get the "alumni" discount on my purchases!
View attachment 1642947

6. Besides saving and repurposing the old school/1912 building (in my intro pics) we also did the same for the old Post Office/Federal Building. Built in 1911, it served until 1969. It was placed on the national register for historical buildings in 1973 and renovated, and now serves as City Hall.
View attachment 1642948

7. Meanwhile, the feds built a new Post Office and Federal building, one that has absolutely no soul and no character.
View attachment 1642949
Interesting and enjoyable set Nick. Totally agree with you about the federal building. Shame your wine/beer/cheese shop was shut. Question: what was the purpose of the cups and saucers on the Brush Creek Farms stand? Do they grow tea?

View attachment 1642944

View attachment 1642943

View attachment 1642945

View attachment 1642946

View attachment 1642947

View attachment 1642948

View attachment 1642949
Love all of these. We have a similar farmer's market, although ours hasn't been going for as many years. We were there last Saturday and it was so crowded, but most people were buying food from the fast food vendors. It's neat that the historic buildings are being preserved. They are doing that here as well in the older downtown area. I've only been to Moscow once (for a wedding, on campus). I need to visit there again!! It looks like such a pretty place.

View attachment 1642927

View attachment 1642928
Very cool shots!

View attachment 1642944

View attachment 1642943

View attachment 1642945

View attachment 1642946

View attachment 1642947

View attachment 1642948

View attachment 1642949
Great set, and interesting story Nick!

View attachment 1642944

View attachment 1642943

View attachment 1642945

View attachment 1642946

View attachment 1642947

View attachment 1642948

View attachment 1642949
Excellent, Nick, and they look remarkably like what I'm about to post from Blacksburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom