CS #664 - My Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blacksburg, VA, is the home of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, or Virginia Tech.

1. Burruss Hall, main administrative building

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Slusher Hall

Newman Library

On the first weekend of August every year Blacksburg has a downtown festival, called "Stepping Out". It features bands, food, and gazillions of booths where arts and crafts are sold.

4. Main Street during Stepping Out

College Avenue during Stepping Out

Lyric Theatre

The "Stepping Out" festival originated back in the 1970s and was originally called "Deadwood Days", and was an attempt to lure people to town during the dead period of summer when the students were away. But a drug murder during one of the early ones forced a name change.

College Avenue during Stepping Out
View attachment 1642960
fun​
Blacksburg, VA, is the home of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, or Virginia Tech.

View attachment 1642956

Slusher Hall
View attachment 1642957

Newman Library
View attachment 1642958

On the first weekend of August every year Blacksburg has a downtown festival, called "Stepping Out". It features bands, food, and gazillions of booths where arts and crafts are sold.

View attachment 1642959
Nice campus and fun looking event.

I live in a very small town, around 5K people, in New Hampshire...

It's amazing that such a small state has so many town (over 200). We have the typical town hall building...

and kindergarten through 8th grade school...

I had to just show the top of the entrance, as they are in the middle of renovating and enlarging the school. There is fencing all around, boarded up windows, and lots of construction equipment (the just got rid of portable classrooms, due to over-population).

The town even has a public library, which is really tiny, and about five years ago, they added indoor plumbing, so there is actually a bathroom now!

And like many New England towns, there are small war memorials...

This one has a plaque for WW II, the Korean and Vietnam War, and the Civil War, and there is a boulder with a WW I plaque, listing residents from those wars. That small granite bench in the back has a POW/MIA engraving on it.

Being rural, there are lots of old farm houses and many wooded areas. One unique feature of the town is that is shaped like the letter C, and wraps around a large lake, that happens to be the water supply for the city of Manchester (the largest city in NH). There are large streams and creeks that feed into the lake...

Since it is a water supply, they land all around the lake is owned by Water Works, but they allow lots of public use. There are numerous trails and paths, used by bikers, cross country skiers, snowmobilers, etc...

There is even a "rail to trail" path that goes through several towns. I'll see if I can get some pictures of the lake (it was raining off and on today, so I couldn't get a shot). I'm traveling up to Maine next week, so I may have to show what my daughter's town looks like for the rest of the C. S. :)

View attachment 1642956

Slusher Hall
View attachment 1642957

Newman Library
View attachment 1642958

View attachment 1642959
Great set Jim. I drove by your town once (back in the early 80s) but it is great to see it through the eyes of a long-term resident.
I live in a very small town, around 5K people, in New Hampshire...
View attachment 1642972

It's amazing that such a small state has so many town (over 200). We have the typical town hall building...
View attachment 1642973

and kindergarten through 8th grade school...

View attachment 1642974

I had to just show the top of the entrance, as they are in the middle of renovating and enlarging the school. There is fencing all around, boarded up windows, and lots of construction equipment (the just got rid of portable classrooms, due to over-population).

The town even has a public library, which is really tiny, and about five years ago, they added indoor plumbing, so there is actually a bathroom now!
View attachment 1642975
Great stuff Paul. There is nothing quite like a small New England town. You guys set the standard long, long ago. You've given me some ideas for my next set.

The "Stepping Out" festival originated back in the 1970s and was originally called "Deadwood Days", and was an attempt to lure people to town during the dead period of summer when the students were away. But a drug murder during one of the early ones forced a name change.
Love all the photos of your town. I especially love the story about the murder and the name change. How big is your town? The downtown looks like it is a small town.

We moved to Kingman, Arizona 2 years ago, and I've never tried to take any shots of Old Kingman or Route 66. I guess I thought that since I lived here, I could get these shots anytime. I appreciate Nick and this CS for getting me going. :)

1. Hill Top Motel on Route 66. Offering Zenith Television when the "reno ations" are finished. When I first saw the photo, I looked at the lightpost on the right and thought the camera had been tilted. I guess it's just a tilted lamppost.
Old Kingman-Hilltop Hotel 4573.jpg

2. The Powerhouse, converted into a great museum, including a fascinating electric car museum. Also serves as a visitors center.
Old Kingman-powerhouse 4636-2.jpg

3. Hotel Beale from the back.
Old Kingman-Hotel Beale 4594.jpg

4. Sign on Beale St.
Old Kingman-Rickety Cricket4627-2.jpg

I don't live in a small town, but do live in the Kerrisdale neighborhood which is about 6 miles from downtown. Will be here for another 2 years, and then moving downtown once junior finishes school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom