CS #664 - My Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, what's the problem with driving in Salt Lake City?
It's congested with all of the ongoing growth, and the Interstate highway (maybe you'd call it a Motorway?) is being expanded such that there are multiple lane changes, narrow bits, and swerving drivers. As George Carlin once noted: "Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot; anyone driving faster than you is crazy.":D

Miriam, what a great set! Kingman is a town I know next to nothing about Kingman, 'cept that Route 66 runs through it. Thanks for some fabulous shots.
Thank you! Kingman was an early mining community. You can still can see the ruts in the rock from the wagon wheels hauling the ore. These days, it's a stopover for people visiting places like the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, etc., or those visiting the old 66 hwy. It's a fun place to visit with a thriving collectible car community. Great place to live. They've saved a lot of the historical buildings, and there's a lot of memorabilia in the museums.

Last edited:
Being rural, there are lots of old farm houses and many wooded areas. One unique feature of the town is that is shaped like the letter C, and wraps around a large lake, that happens to be the water supply for the city of Manchester (the largest city in NH). There are large streams and creeks that feed into the lake...
Paul, I especially enjoyed the peacefulness of the last 2. What a beautiful, restful place to live.

Looks like a neat little town. I bet it's especially beautiful in the Fall.

I spent four years of my life in Auburn, AL, where I graduated from college.
Yes, very beautiful in the Fall, with foliage and all.

We moved to Kingman, Arizona 2 years ago, and I've never tried to take any shots of Old Kingman or Route 66. I guess I thought that since I lived here, I could get these shots anytime. I appreciate Nick and this CS for getting me going. :)

1. Hill Top Motel on Route 66. Offering Zenith Television when the "reno ations" are finished. When I first saw the photo, I looked at the lightpost on the right and thought the camera had been tilted. I guess it's just a tilted lamppost.
View attachment 1642980

2. The Powerhouse, converted into a great museum, including a fascinating electric car museum. Also serves as a visitors center.View attachment 1642982
3. Hotel Beale from the back.
View attachment 1642981

4. Sign on Beale St.
View attachment 1642983
Love that mural!

I am loving everyone’s submissions! I haven’t had a chance to participate yet. You will all love these visual memories of your towns in the future. I work for a commercial real estate appraiser. He has a database of photos of buildings in our town that spans decades. It’s fun to go back and look at them sometimes and remember how things used to be. This is a fun collective shoot. Thank you all for taking time to share your home towns with us and thanks to Nick for hosting!

Lake Massabesic...

Is the Indian name for "the place of much water" and covers over 2500 acres. Shot from a small park on the Manchester side of the lake, which is mostly in Auburn.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I live in Reggio Emilia a small industrial town in the Po valley. It is the home of Parmigiano Reggiano ( Parmasan Cheese) and Lambrusco wine.

The council have just made a square in front of one of our nicest churches a bit more attractive.

DSC_0254_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_0314_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_0318_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_0277_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_0274_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
We moved to Kingman, Arizona 2 years ago, and I've never tried to take any shots of Old Kingman or Route 66. I guess I thought that since I lived here, I could get these shots anytime. I appreciate Nick and this CS for getting me going. :)
Yes, we all ignore our home area.

Living on the mythical Route 66, I am sure you will find some great stuff to photograph.

Real Name
Chris

Having recently moved to Michigan, I had to get used to not having my mountains and trees and water of the Pacific Northwest. But one gem I’ve found about this area is the abundance of lighthouses!

I live in Reggio Emilia a small industrial town in the Po valley. It is the home of Parmigiano Reggiano ( Parmasan Cheese) and Lambrusco wine.

The council have just made a square in front of one of our nicest churches a bit more attractive.

View attachment 1643054

View attachment 1643055

View attachment 1643063

View attachment 1643059

View attachment 1643062

View attachment 1643058
Nigel, what a nice addition to your town. The reflection is a very nice image. I believe the Po valley is also home of Arborio rice.
Beautiful town!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom