CS #667 - Square Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a bit of time trying to photograph swallows and butterflies in flight while I was cooling off after mowing grass today . I got no usable swallow pics (aren't they fast?) and only a couple of semi-reasonable butterfly pics (them too). Here they are, together with one near-silhouette of feeding peacocks.

View attachment 1644626Two Peacocks and a Tortoiseshell by warth man, on Flickr

View attachment 1644627Two Peacocks and a Tortoiseshell 2 by warth man, on Flickr

View attachment 1644628Two Peacocks by warth man, on Flickr
Oh these are difficult to expose, as the frame is always cluttered with colors, brightness levels, background... still you managed to clean them up, a bit ;)
Still on a Polaroid roll - this one from a OneStep 2

View attachment 1644756
Polaroids, need I say more? Bravo!

I'm not Panther, but it's a really cool update of the old Polaroid 600 instant camera. Unlike the older 600 film, the Onestep film (now called i600 film) doesn't have a battery in the film pack (hence it's cheaper than the regular 600 film.) The battery is now in the camera, and you recharge it with a usb phone charger. Remember the Impossible Project - a group of entrepreneurs that bought the Polaroid name and production line a few years back? Well they are a company now, that makes and sells these cameras and films, under the name Polaroid Originals.
Thanks for that Chris. I might look them up.

Theo...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He is an intense eater, just starting to eat solid foods...

Nothing like cereal on your hands (and dog slobber from Charley licking)...

Inspired by Klaus, I tried to photograph butterflies myself. Starting with 'slower ones' that are easier to catch. :D

It was getting dark already, and we went out, to the herb garden, where these two caterpillars decided to take their new home, a few days ago. They eat, and eat, and eat, and eat... what's left from an old, cut parsley tuft. Quite something for little Mayla, to see how they grow every day (in the Kindergarten, she learns different species of animals anyway, and now caterpillars at home). We learned that these two guys will eventually pupate and be butterflies not before next year (thx to wiki).

Here we are, square framing, hand held, focussed on the left one, 85/2.8D PC tilted slightly to get more of the right one in focus, while being bumped around by two kids. Too quick to go for the tripod - we headed to bed, in fact, instead.

Last edited:
Inspired by Klaus, I tried to butterflies myself. Starting with 'slower ones' that are easier to catch. :D

It was getting dark already, and we went out, to the herb garden, where these two caterpillars decided to take their new home, a few days ago. They eat, and eat, and eat, and eat... what's left from an old, cut parsley tuft. Quite something for little Mayla, to see how they grow every day (in the Kindergarten, she learns different species of animals anyway, and now caterpillars at home). We learned that these two guys will eventually pupate and be butterflies not before next year (thx to wiki).

Here we are, square framing, hand held, focussed on the left one, 85/2.8D PC tilted slightly to get more of the right one in focus, while being bumped around by two kids. Too quick to go for the tripod - we headed to bed, in fact, instead.

View attachment 1644802
Very nice!

Inspired by Klaus, I tried to photograph butterflies myself. Starting with 'slower ones' that are easier to catch. :D

View attachment 1644802
Very nice shot. Love the depth of field. Did wiki tell you what kind of butterfly they will become?

Roses and Weeds seem to be the only plants blooming in the yard.

Continuing with the circles in a square theme, started by Jim, here are my binoculars giving me the evil eye!

meme14_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Another OneStep 2 image.....

Occasionally when editing images I run across one or more that just immediately suggest to me that they're suited to a square format so I edit accordingly. This past Friday evening (August 23) I was in NYC at Feinstein's 54/Below to see nineteen-year-old Jackie Evancho as a "special guest star" of Michael Feinstein himself. He was there for a month-long engagement during which he had two other guest stars, and Jackie's turn was during the final week, April 21-23. Mr Feinstein is the owner of the club and he is known around the US as the "Ambassador" of the "Great American Songbook" music, a sort of sub-genre encompassing some of the great music of the past from musical theatre, jazz, soul and even a bit of pop. His two earlier guest stars, Marilyn Maye and Melissa Manchester, represented the long-ago and somewhat more recent past with songs related to NYC in some way, while Jackie sang a couple of songs from current musical theatre and also joined Michael Feinstein in a couple of duets as well.

In keeping with this week's theme, it also strikes me that some young people probably would consider this kind of event or this kind of music as being really "square....."!!! :)

One of the neat things about going to a supper club/cabaret such as 54/Below is that photography is allowed and most importantly, there are no restrictions on size of camera, so one can have a DSLR, a mirrorless APS-C or FF ILC, a "bridge" camera or of course a P&S or cell phone. In the past we've sat in the "main dining room" area and I've used my small Sony RX100 M6. This time we were seated at what is called the "Bar Rail," which is elevated and a bit further from the stage. Perfect opportunity for using my Sony RX10 M4 "bridge" camera with its fixed 24mm-600mm (35mm equiv) lens...... I turned off all sounds on the camera so there was no beeping, no shutter noise to disturb others, and I was out of everybody's way so that the camera and the lens when fully extended, wouldn't bother anyone else. I had a lot of fun shooting in Continuous High (wow, that sure eats up the memory in the SD card fast! and I'm still reviewing, culling and post-processing, but here are a couple of images that during the editing process I chose to put in a square format:

Jackie Evancho

With Michael Feinstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom