CS #667 - Square Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Occasionally when editing images I run across one or more that just immediately suggest to me that they're suited to a square format so I edit accordingly. This past Friday evening (August 23) I was in NYC at Feinstein's 54/Below to see nineteen-year-old Jackie Evancho as a "special guest star" of Michael Feinstein himself. He was there for a month-long engagement during which he had two other guest stars, and Jackie's turn was during the final week, April 21-23. Mr Feinstein is the owner of the club and he is known around the US as the "Ambassador" of the "Great American Songbook" music, a sort of sub-genre encompassing some of the great music of the past from musical theatre, jazz, soul and even a bit of pop. His two earlier guest stars, Marilyn Maye and Melissa Manchester, represented the long-ago and somewhat more recent past with songs related to NYC in some way, while Jackie sang a couple of songs from current musical theatre and also joined Michael Feinstein in a couple of duets as well.

In keeping with this week's theme, it also strikes me that some young people probably would consider this kind of event or this kind of music as being really "square....."!!! :)

One of the neat things about going to a supper club/cabaret such as 54/Below is that photography is allowed and most importantly, there are no restrictions on size of camera, so one can have a DSLR, a mirrorless APS-C or FF ILC, a "bridge" camera or of course a P&S or cell phone. In the past we've sat in the "main dining room" area and I've used my small Sony RX100 M6. This time we were seated at what is called the "Bar Rail," which is elevated and a bit further from the stage. Perfect opportunity for using my Sony RX10 M4 "bridge" camera with its fixed 24mm-600mm (35mm equiv) lens...... I turned off all sounds on the camera so there was no beeping, no shutter noise to disturb others, and I was out of everybody's way so that the camera and the lens when fully extended, wouldn't bother anyone else. I had a lot of fun shooting in Continuous High (wow, that sure eats up the memory in the SD card fast! and I'm still reviewing, culling and post-processing, but here are a couple of images that during the editing process I chose to put in a square format:

Jackie Evancho
View attachment 1644835

With Michael Feinstein
View attachment 1644836
Wonderful Connie.
May I accompany you next time when I'm in NYC?
All my attempts to take pictures of a concert came to a grief because DSLRs were not allowed.

I love your shots
Klaus

Wonderful Connie.
May I accompany you next time when I'm in NYC?
All my attempts to take pictures of a concert came to a grief because DSLRs were not allowed.

I love your shots
Klaus

Thanks, Klaus! This was a rare opportunity to use a larger camera -- or for that matter any camera at all -- because most theaters and other venues will not permit photography or will not permit DSLRs, interchangeable lens cameras, etc. Feinstein's/54 Below is a cabaret supper club, where one goes and has a nice meal and then sees the performance -- usually singers with a small instrumental trio and a pianist (the stage is VERY small!). It's a delightfully intimate setting and is great for photography, although if using a larger camera such as a DSLR or my bridge camera, it is best to be seated out of others' way, either in one of the booths or in the Bar Rail area. I've been to Feinstein's three times now; the first two times we were in the main dining area, and on those occasions I used my small Sony RX100 M6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom