CS #670 - These are a few of my favorite things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill, best friend, mentor, 2nd dad to our kids, neighbor, advisor for both my MS and my Ph.D., dept chair and dean, died two years ago today from the complications of multiple myeloma. In his honor family and friends planted a tree and placed a memorial bench along the Latah Trail that follows a former rail line some 15+ miles east of town. Bill logged many a mile walking that trail. So today his wife a couple of friends and my wife, Ella, and I walked out to Bill's bench and scattered some more of his ashes to help sustain his tree and us. It was a suitably irreverent day--light hearted and fun.

Sorry for a long one.

1. At the bench.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Something subversive going on?

Bench8_DxO.jpg

3. A "Remember Bill" sticker, with his favorite mantra (Tie-dye was the dress code for his celebration of life; for his funeral service he was dressed in tie-dye)
Bench10_DxO.jpg

4. Debbie, his wife.
Bench14_DxO.jpg

Bench16_DxO.jpg

6. Adding ashes to the tree.

Bench21_DxO.jpg

7. Reading a favorite poem, e e cummings.

Bench27_DxO.jpg

8. Looking south from the bench, Paradise Ridge.

Bench48_DxO.jpg

9. Debbie on the Bench.
Bench59_DxO.jpg

Bill, best friend, mentor, 2nd dad to our kids, neighbor, advisor for both my MS and my Ph.D., dept chair and dean, died two years ago today from the complications of multiple myeloma. In his honor family and friends planted a tree and placed a memorial bench along the Latah Trail that follows a former rail line some 15+ miles east of town. Bill logged many a mile walking that trail. So today his wife a couple of friends and my wife, Ella, and I walked out to Bill's bench and scattered some more of his ashes to help sustain his tree and us. It was a suitably irreverent day--light hearted and fun.

Sorry for a long one.

1. At the bench.
View attachment 1646300

View attachment 1646301

3. A "Remember Bill" sticker, with his favorite mantra (Tie-dye was the dress code for his celebration of life; for his funeral service he was dressed in tie-dye)
View attachment 1646302

4. Debbie, his wife.
View attachment 1646303

View attachment 1646304

View attachment 1646305

View attachment 1646306

View attachment 1646307

9. Debbie on the Bench.View attachment 1646308
That is simply wonderful and moving, Nick. Good onya, I say.

Sorry for a long one.

1. At the bench.
View attachment 1646300

View attachment 1646301

View attachment 1646302

4. Debbie, his wife.
View attachment 1646303

View attachment 1646304

View attachment 1646305

View attachment 1646306

View attachment 1646307

9. Debbie on the Bench.View attachment 1646308
What a special post!! Thank you for sharing a personal story. It brings life to the cafe.

Interesting theme Klaus. I hope to get some time to shoot. My brother had a stroke last Tuesday, and my life has been upside down lately. Going to the hospital, taking care of his house, talking to doctors (as he was unable to speak much for a while), etc. Fortunately, he is doing better, and is in rehab. A little less stressful now, but still awfully busy.

A real wake-up call for us, BTW, to make sure we are "prepared" better for such events. My wife and I have power of attorney setup for finances and healthcare. But realized that, in the case of an emergency, where one of us is incapacitated, it is good to make sure the other person has access to online accounts to be able to pay credit cards, utilities, etc. For us, I often take care of the bills, so my wife doesn't have access to some of the accounts, or knows when notices occur for due dates.
Very sorry to learn this, Paul. Hang in there and keep doing the needful. And thanks for reminding all of us about planning ahead - very good advice, my friend.

A new LG is to be delivered this afternoon. Right now we're pulling lunch out of coolers.

Our Amana freezer in the basement is 49 years old.
Jim: our coolers have been emptied and put away also. We're amazed by the space and lighting in our new LG. Just asking: does your water dispenser leave a few extra drops? Not a deal-breaker, for sure.

I had to give this some thought. I really like my Olukai sandals (flip flops). I've worn flip flops for most of my adult life, I was lucky enough to have jobs where the people I worked for didn't care what I was wearing. I've found this brand to be the best for my feet, very good arch support, I can and have walked miles in them. I have four pair of them from almost new to worn out. View attachment 1646119
Good onya, Rick. I've only recently transitioned to flip flops (from a nearby Eddie Bauer outlet, on steep discount!) and I love them; after, let me count . . . more than 40 years of doing synthetic inorganic / organometallic chemistry, they are a welcome experience! :D

Last year Greg worked so hard at pulling out some old shrubs that were overgrown along the front of our house. My daughter used to work at a garden shop and I asked her what she would suggest I replace the shrubs with. She suggested a type of rose called Knockout. I planted three of them and they quickly became one of my favorite landscaping plants. They bloom continuously and profusely from June till frost. You can deadhead them for a neater appearance, but if you don't they still keep blooming. I was faithful at keeping the spent blooms trimmed earlier in the summer, but my efforts have fizzled out now. So, Knockout Roses are one of my favorite things. (PS. I'm pretty sure my new 14-30 f4S lens is going to be one of my favorite things, too!! No buyers remorse here. I probably could have got better shots of this subject matter with a longer lens, but I am still having fun playing with the new toy!)

View attachment 1646264View attachment 1646265View attachment 1646267
Terri - I'm not a rose fan (after bad experiences in KS with them), but your lovely photos might lead me to reconsider!

Lapis Lazuli I picked up in Kabul and custom ring made for it in Agra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom