CS #670 - These are a few of my favorite things

Status
Not open for further replies.

More Ortzes edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

iPhone image, aspect ratio via crop in post.
Love to see the trees and a pasture with 'Ortzes on my morning walk/jog/flop!
(notice the rare eight legged horse, center right)​

Bill, best friend, mentor, 2nd dad to our kids, neighbor, advisor for both my MS and my Ph.D., dept chair and dean, died two years ago today from the complications of multiple myeloma. In his honor family and friends planted a tree and placed a memorial bench along the Latah Trail that follows a former rail line some 15+ miles east of town. Bill logged many a mile walking that trail. So today his wife a couple of friends and my wife, Ella, and I walked out to Bill's bench and scattered some more of his ashes to help sustain his tree and us. It was a suitably irreverent day--light hearted and fun.

Sorry for a long one.

Well done, Nick. Looks like a beautiful day and a beautiful spot, and a fitting way to celebrate both.

Real Name
Paul
Bill, best friend, mentor, 2nd dad to our kids, neighbor, advisor for both my MS and my Ph.D., dept chair and dean, died two years ago today from the complications of multiple myeloma. In his honor family and friends planted a tree and placed a memorial bench along the Latah Trail that follows a former rail line some 15+ miles east of town. Bill logged many a mile walking that trail. So today his wife a couple of friends and my wife, Ella, and I walked out to Bill's bench and scattered some more of his ashes to help sustain his tree and us. It was a suitably irreverent day--light hearted and fun.

Sorry for a long one.

1. At the bench.
View attachment 1646300

2. Something subversive going on?

View attachment 1646301

3. A "Remember Bill" sticker, with his favorite mantra (Tie-dye was the dress code for his celebration of life; for his funeral service he was dressed in tie-dye)
View attachment 1646302

4. Debbie, his wife.
View attachment 1646303

View attachment 1646304

6. Adding ashes to the tree.

View attachment 1646305

7. Reading a favorite poem, e e cummings.

View attachment 1646306

8. Looking south from the bench, Paradise Ridge.

View attachment 1646307

9. Debbie on the Bench. View attachment 1646308
Beautiful story and shots of a lost friend. Very touching...

Real Name
Chris
Like camera bags, one can't have too many camera supports.

My problem with bags is that they take up so much space:
7FEEFECF-76EA-4A47-BE6F-FCD03CE25E35.jpeg

Real Name
Chris
A favorite of mine is a well made martini.
The name 'martini' means a drink made with 50mL of gin, and up to 10 mL of dry vermouth, shaken or stirred together with crushed ice, then strained into a funnel shaped glass. You can 'dirty' it up by adding a teaspoon of the brine from a jar of olives, and of course, the olive. Manzanilla stuffed with pimento is traditional, but jumbo olives stuffed with a pungent cheese is becoming popular.

The similar looking drink made with vodka is called "vodka and vermouth" and isn't a real thing.

Here's my martini:
martini.jpg

A favorite of mine is a well made martini.
The name 'martini' means a drink made with 50mL of gin, and up to 10 mL of dry vermouth, shaken or stirred together with crushed ice, then strained into a funnel shaped glass. You can 'dirty' it up by adding a teaspoon of the brine from a jar of olives, and of course, the olive. Manzanilla stuffed with pimento is traditional, but jumbo olives stuffed with a pungent cheese is becoming popular.

The similar looking drink made with vodka is called "vodka and vermouth" and isn't a real thing.

Here's my martini:
View attachment 1646381
Cheers Chris. Life is too short long to drink second rate stuff!

One of my favorite things is living out in a more rural area. There is an irrigation ditch along the back of our property. Today I went for a walk along it’s bank carrying only my iPhone as a camera. The cattails growing in the water are starting to head out. The sod farm I live near is looking really green right now. The photos are nothing special but they follow the theme.
1573BC0A-8936-4CFE-9C1F-AEC2E3903AD5.jpeg
5A813CF7-9257-403C-A7DA-1A3E648A5A07.jpeg
4274F4F8-9764-4462-9FED-68C9E3CBAF9D.jpeg

This is one of my favorite wildflowers. It only blooms in September around here.

Grass of Parnassus
JZ6_0286-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom