CS #679 - Nifty Fifty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Ken St John
There's a ton of reasons I love this theme ... using nothing but the"normal" perspective of a 50mm focal length (FX) or 35mm (DX). The oldest reason I can recall is a 50mm F2.0 Nikkor was about all I could afford with my first Nikkormat a LONG time ago, and I used nothing but that 50 for many years as I was learning and honing my skills!!

Now, with the wonderful optics of our zooms, sticking with a single focal length forces us to look at subjects differently in order to get the shot we want. I've also been using my prime 50mm f1.4 to do some food photography and although I have much to learn, I am liking the initial results. Here's some samples using that lens and a few landscapes that I selected 50mm on the zoom...
IMG_0176.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Montana 2019-862_DxO.jpg

Mt Rainier BD-265.jpg
24-70 f4 Test Tacoma-37.jpg

Have fun this week!!

Ken

Last edited:
Not perfectly. Week 50 starts tomorrow, doesn't it? And Ken's thread shouldn't start until Thursday as we are still working on Slin's Shadows and Reflections through Wednesday.
Ah, good point, Jim! You're right! ACK, tomorrow IS Monday, isn't it??!!!!! AIEEEEE!!!! Somehow when you're retired, the days just slip by and it's hard to keep track of some things..... LOL!

The Collective Shoot is an entirely different thing from the Week 50 (50/50) meme that will start tomorrow. I suspect that this is going to cause more than a little confusion, two different threads running in a similar, but not identical time frame, both featuring the use of a 50mm lens.....but the 50/50 event only runs once a year, whereas we do the Collective Shoot on a weekly basis year around. Images for the 50/50 are to be shot ONLY with a 50mm lens each day and one or more posted and shared daily with the group. Rules are a little more relaxed on the Collective Shoot, not requiring an entry each day.

Actually,IMO it also adds to the confusion to start a new Collective Shoot several days in advance of when it is supposed to start, as the current one is still running and will continue to do so through 11:59 local time on Wednesday and the new one starts after midnight local time on Thursday.

Last edited:
Oh I certainly did not want to start an upset conversation on the two quite similar topics. Sorry should my post have worked as a door opener for the ones above.

I meant to:
- shoot the 50s longer
- shoot 'em more
- enjoy more
- have a good time, everybody
- shoot different styles for each project.

Not to offend anyone.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Sorry about posting a couple of days early. Of course we won’t start until Thursday at 0001!

Ken
Don’t worry, Ken - I will not sticky your theme until Thursday morning in order to allow our members to continue with the collective shoot that’s currently in progress. Once that ends then I’ll sticky yours and will be off and running! 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom