CS #680 - Winter Is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Andy
It looks like we were missing a host for this week's CS. If it's not too late (it's already Monday as I write this), here goes...

The solstice was Saturday, Dec. 21, making it officially winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Also, with the first Hanukkah candles already lit and Christmas Eve coming tomorrow, hopefully there is no shortage of subject matter. If all else fails, perhaps you might stumble upon a subject or scene reminiscent of House Stark, which would quite literally fit the theme.

Real Name
Andy
Although it generally doesn't really look like winter around here (yet), there are a few spots where it does. This is on the way to Parfrey's Glen near Devil's Lake in Wisconsin.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had to look up "House Stark," as I was unfamiliar with that reference.... Ah, OK, from Game of Thrones! One of these days I might actually get around to watching that series! I've only seen one episode and that was very early on.

So wait, there would only be a couple of days right now to capture images and submit shots? Why not make this one Collective Shoot stretch out through the entire final last days of December and into the beginning of January 2020, which would give people ample opportunity to grab some shots during this really busy time of year?

I had to look up "House Stark," as I was unfamiliar with that reference....
Same here.

So wait, there would only be a couple of days right now to capture images and submit shots? Why not make this one Collective Shoot stretch out through the entire final last days of December and into the beginning of January 2020, which would give people ample opportunity to grab some shots during this really busy time of year?
I would endorse that.

Real Name
Andy
Why not make this one Collective Shoot stretch out through the entire final last days of December and into the beginning of January 2020, which would give people ample opportunity to grab some shots during this really busy time of year?
I would endorse that.
Perfectly fine with me - I can host CS #680 starting today through Wednesday, January 2, 2019, if it's OK with all (especially Klaus @kilofoxtrott)...

Thanks, Andy! Seems to me that this is the ideal solution and what the heck, the timing is perfect for the ending of the CS just as we always do it, anyway..... :)
I suspect that Klaus will not have any objections to this idea, but yes, a good idea to make sure he is in agreement here.

Jim is right in that at the moment it seems as though there are not going to be many opportunities for capturing truly wintry-looking scenes (aw, no White Christmas for many of us!) but nonetheless there may be creative ways of expressing the initial theme, or I suppose it could be amplified/expanded just as the time period is?

Looks like most of the U.S. will have above normal temperatures for the duration of this period so there may not be many really wintry pictures. But we'll do our best.
No winter for me ? :ROFLMAO: …..but we hit 33f below last week !!!!🤪

Real Name
Philip Armitage
After being in Dallas last year at this time and saw all the trouble folks took to get their houses looking christmassy, was inspired to do a few "lights" on our house. But being downunder it doesn't get dark until 9pm. I took the photo on the 21st at 9:30pm. Next year maybe more

View from our bedroom window at 0730 today:

There was a freezing fog alert for Blacksburg which is down in the valley, but 45ºF up on the mountain here where we live. That's a fairly common weather phenomenon here in the Fall and Winter. The cold air, being denser, slides down into the valley on still nights. By mid afternoon it will be several degrees cooler up here, however.

The farthest ridge on the horizon is the Blue Ridge.

Real Name
Andy
We had a bit of fog this morning also. It made it feel cold (but it was actually a couple degrees above freezing).

1. These straw reindeer have been an annual fixture in front of our house every December for several years

2. Windmill

Our little lake developed a light glaze of ice a few days ago and it still has not all melted yet, leaving little "floes" and "islands" here-and-there. The poor geese and ducks seem a bit bewildered about how the water abruptly changes beneath their feet and they're suddenly walking or standing on a slippery surface!

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Very evocative photos, Andy. Did you make the deer?
Actually, our neighbors had noticed how much my kids liked seeing those reindeer in their yard every Christmas, so they gave them to us when they moved away several years ago. We plan to do the same when we move, so the reindeer can stay on their territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom