CS #682 - Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, our neighborhood made the TRANSITION from our normal gray skies and rain ... to a more "wintery" look. Western Washingtonians are, of course, total wimps when it comes to snow. Schools close, people work from home, there's panic buying at Costco. The plethora of steep hills are a contributing factor, of course, but for most of us that's not an excuse.

I think the real reason is so we can stay home and play like kids again!!

View attachment 1653492
View attachment 1653493
Cheers!!

Ken
Have fun in this transition, Ken!

On this first sunny morning in quite a while, we went for a walk and I noticed a subtle transition from tree bark and branches into a Great Horned Owl.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Got binoculars for a birding outing with some non-photographer friends. Much better with a Domke strap.

Trifocal...

I use them daily for working on the computer. After taking this shot, I realized I need to clean them!

Very cool, Paul! I have progressive lenses where there are no convenient lines of demarcation, which took a while to get used to! With the computer a lot of times I use good old cheapie reading glasses from the drugstore, and they work fine for that purpose.
Yeah, mine are dual purpose. The glasses have no magnification on top, 1x or so in middle and 2.5x or so on bottom. The middle works great for large iMac screen, were I don't get that close to it.

The other (primary use) for these is when I'm shooting a pistol. I'm near sighted, so I use contacts for distance, but my near is so bad, that I cannot clearly see the front sight, so the 1x comes in handy.

It took a while to get used to lifting my head a bit to see the front sight, but I do like the line as it makes it easier to know how much to raise my head. Not ideal, and it would have been nicer to have that middle area a bit higher on the lens, so when I look straight ahead it is in the 1x mag area. Unfortunately, my optician is clueless about handguns and I couldn't explain it well enough.

They were the first pair that I'm trying that with, as it costs a few hundred dollars. My other readers are just cheap 2.5x glasses from Walmart, of which I have tons of them around the house and in cars.

I didn't go the progressive route, because of my experience with my backup glasses for my contacts; they are REALLY expensive (due to lightweight needed because of my prescription), and I have usage problems. I get dizzy wearing them as I tend to glance left and right and when I do that, the vertical lines will distort and bend. Using a laptop, I'd have to really raise my head to view out of the bottom part and it is uncomfortable. And going down stairs, I have to look straight down, so things are in focus. I can't stand them.

Sucks to get old(er).

I was working on shooting my progressives but Paul beat me to the punch, and I really needed a voice controlled glass holder :rolleyes:

So instead a couple of images that a chemist might cuddle up to!

1. Transition in gas temperatures.

2. Transition between giving light and being out. I'm sure a chemist will have more to say about this.

Yeah, mine are dual purpose. The glasses have no magnification on top, 1x or so in middle and 2.5x or so on bottom. The middle works great for large iMac screen, were I don't get that close to it.

The other (primary use) for these is when I'm shooting a pistol. I'm near sighted, so I use contacts for distance, but my near is so bad, that I cannot clearly see the front sight, so the 1x comes in handy.

It took a while to get used to lifting my head a bit to see the front sight, but I do like the line as it makes it easier to know how much to raise my head. Not ideal, and it would have been nicer to have that middle area a bit higher on the lens, so when I look straight ahead it is in the 1x mag area. Unfortunately, my optician is clueless about handguns and I couldn't explain it well enough.

They were the first pair that I'm trying that with, as it costs a few hundred dollars. My other readers are just cheap 2.5x glasses from Walmart, of which I have tons of them around the house and in cars.

I didn't go the progressive route, because of my experience with my backup glasses for my contacts; they are REALLY expensive (due to lightweight needed because of my prescription), and I have usage problems. I get dizzy wearing them as I tend to glance left and right and when I do that, the vertical lines will distort and bend. Using a laptop, I'd have to really raise my head to view out of the bottom part and it is uncomfortable. And going down stairs, I have to look straight down, so things are in focus. I can't stand them.

Sucks to get old(er).
Exactly! Agree to all of the above. That is why I often use the drugstore readers at the computer, as then I don't have to tilt and raise my head and try to find just the right place to see and read what I'm needing to see and read..... The drugstore readers are all the same magnification so that's taken care of straightaway. A lot less cheaper than buying a pair of "computer glasses" from the optician! For everyday normal use most of the time I'm OK with the progressive lenses, but, yeah, I'm careful using stairs! I always grab the handrail if one is available, just to be sure....

Yeah, getting old(er) does suck......

Thanks, Connie.

I use my progressive lenses all the time, since my astigmatism is bad enough to warrant that. I do have a cheap pair of drug store lenses for reading in bed (a rare thing anymore) since progressives are a PITA to use.

Astigmatism here, too. Yeah, when I got my first pair of Progressives I thought it would be nice not to have the lines showing me and everyone else that I was wearing trifocals but then, yeah, there was that period of adjustment! The drugstore lenses are great for reading in bed or using at the computer, just so much less head-moving and adjusting to try and see or read everything clearly! Obviously when going out-and-about I need my prescription glasses for the distance viewing and mid-range viewing and such, but still....somehow it is tempting to consider going back to trifocals where the lines are nice and clearly demarcated so I know exactly where to look to see what it is I need to see! (Wearing the drugstore cheapies even as I type....they are much more convenient for use at the computer than my expensive Progressive lenses are!)

I was working on shooting my progressives but Paul beat me to the punch, and I really needed a voice controlled glass holder :rolleyes:

So instead a couple of images that a chemist might cuddle up to!

1. Transition in gas temperatures.
View attachment 1653562

2. Transition between giving light and being out. I'm sure a chemist will have more to say about this.
View attachment 1653561
Those are both terrific, Nick - the 2nd especially for me - well done! And, just because you're one of the "good guys" at the Café, I'll spare you any boring chemistry talk about these gorgeous images.:D

Transition to Spring already? The daffodils seem to think so.

Winter is returning next week, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom