CS #689 - Leap Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week we get to enjoy a 29th day in February, which of course happens only once every four years during a leap year. To commemorate this special happening, this week's collective shoot will be about anything having to do with leaping. Photos can represent the theme literally (something or someone leaping) or figuratively (anything involving a leap forward or backward in your mind or anything reminding you of the word, leap).

Figurative examples (there are surely others as well):
  • Anything about making a photo that is leaps beyond your comfort zone (the photo's content might not even be about leaping);
  • Anything requiring one to leap to a conclusion or to have a leap of faith;
  • Anything that is new in some way to somebody or some thing;
  • Anything indicating something at least a little bit beyond the status quo;
  • Anything reminiscent of leaping backward to a former time;
  • Anything reminding us that sometimes it's not good to leap;
  • Any photo of 29 things (honoring February 29); or
  • Anything reminding you of the word, leap, for whatever reason.
For those of you who haven't participated in one of our Collective Shoots, take a leap and try it out!

All photos are to be captured February 27 to March 4 your local time. If you need a few days later to post-process them, I'll continue keeping an eye out for them. Post as often as you like but with three photos maximum per post.

Example #1: It took a leap of faith that her newspaper wouldn't get wet.
Mike 2010-03-24--0125-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Example #2: Definitely not a good idea to leap.
Mike 2009-07-15--514BW-L.jpg

Example #3: This shows how to have a garden party that mocks the status quo. The setup was also a huge leap beyond my comfort zone and even further beyond my wife's comfort zone. :ROFLMAO:
Mike 2014-05-05--016-L.jpg

Last edited:
A most challenging, abstract and, I think, wine induced theme. This should be fun.
My grandmother was a leap-year child. Long now, alas. But on Saturday, my wife and I will be celebrating the 90th birthday of a most feisty and active woman here in Moscow. Maybe I'll catch a scene or 2.

I'll get things kicked off: Did you play leap frog when you were a child?

My neighbor has lots of things like this in his flower beds. He paints them every spring and this one is definitely due for a new paint job.

Mike 2020-02-27--001-S.jpg

Another "leap" of faith purchase. Online deal on 2 - 18 oz Stoneware mugs. Was $20 on sale $5 ... very nice quality (y)

This week we get to enjoy a 29th day in February, which of course happens only once every four years during a leap year. To commemorate this special happening, this week's collective shoot will be about anything having to do with leaping. Photos can represent the theme literally (something or someone leaping) or figuratively (anything involving a leap forward or backward in your mind or anything reminding you of the word, leap).

Figurative examples (there are surely others as well):
  • Anything about making a photo that is leaps beyond your comfort zone (the photo's content might not even be about leaping);
  • Anything requiring one to leap to a conclusion or to have a leap of faith;
  • Anything that is new in some way to somebody or some thing;
  • Anything indicating something at least a little bit beyond the status quo;
  • Anything reminiscent of leaping backward to a former time;
  • Anything reminding us that sometimes it's not good to leap; or
  • Anything reminding you of the word, leap, for whatever reason.
For those of you who haven't participated in one of our Collective Shoots, take a leap and try it out!

All photos are to be captured February 27 to March 4 your local time. If you need a few days later to post-process them, I'll continue keeping an eye out for them. Post as often as you like but with three photos maximum per post.

Example #1: It took a leap of faith that her newspaper wouldn't get wet.
View attachment 1656159

Example #2: Definitely not a good idea to leap.
View attachment 1656160

Example #3: This shows how to have a garden party that mocks the status quo. The setup was also a huge leap beyond my comfort zone and even further beyond my wife's comfort zone. :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 1656161
Interesting theme! Will be challenging (I'm kind of a literal person). Hopefully, I'll get some break from work to shoot. Looks like fun!

My neighbor to the right supplied the content for my first photo, so it's appropriate that my second photo would be of the brand new fence built by my neighbor to the left.

As for this week's theme, I never considered leaping over the fence. That's because there is nobody around to pick me up off the ground and rush me to the hospital. :eek:

The making of this photo, which is only a test, is definitely a leap forward for me, as it is my first photo of an outdoor scene made using focus stacking. The importance of that has to do with the size of the subject and the type of lens used: Though I've been making focus-stacked photos in my makeshift studio the last couple of weeks, those scenes have been no more than a foot deep. As an example, the subject in my most recent photo made in the studio was only 4 inches deep and I used a 90mm macro lens. Sixty focus-bracketed images were required to get that entire subject in focus. Compare that with the fence in this photo, which is 48 feet deep. Yet using a 24mm focal length, only 4 focus-bracketed shots were required to get all of it in focus. Even though my mind understands why that's so, my emotional reaction is still WOW!

I realize I could have easily gotten the entire fence in focus using just one shot and a smaller aperture, but that wouldn't have taught me anything other than proving that the focus peaking in my Z6 works. This is my first camera that has focus peaking.

Mike 2020-02-28--005-S.jpg

Last edited:
My neighbor to the right supplied the content for my first photo, so it's appropriate that my second photo would be of the brand new fence built by my neighbor to the left.

As for this week's theme, I never considered leaping over the fence. That's because there is nobody around to pick me up off the ground and rush me to the hospital. :eek:

The making of this photo, which is only a test, is definitely a leap forward for me, as it is my first photo of an outdoor scene made using focus stacking. The importance of that has to do with the size of the subject and the type of lens used: Though I've been making focus-stacked photos in my makeshift studio the last couple of weeks, those scenes have been no more than a foot deep. As an example, the subject in my most recent photo made in the studio was only 4 inches deep and I used a 90mm macro lens. Sixty focus-bracketed images were required to get that entire subject in focus. Compare that with the fence in this photo, which is 48 feet deep. Yet using a 24mm focal length, only 4 focus-bracketed shots were required to get all of it in focus. Even though my mind understands why that's so, my emotional reaction is still WOW!

I realize I could have easily gotten the entire fence in focus using just one shot, but that wouldn't have taught me anything other than proving that the focus peaking in my Z6 works. This is my first camera that has focus peaking.

View attachment 1656251
Well done!

Leaping into this Collective Shoot with an image that was also a leap into something new for me -- I am still exploring the amazing NIK software that is included with my DxO PhotoLab 3 editing software and discovering an amazing collection of presets and filters that can transform what otherwise might be an ordinary image into something a little mysterious and intriguing.... This actually was in Efex Color Pro, even though the image is presented in B&W. I was heading towards the posterization filter but this preset had me stopping right there and saying, "OK, this is it!" Wow, I've been missing out on a lot of possibilities for taking my images to a different level!

A Different Kind of Bird.jpeg

Leaping into this Collective Shoot with an image that was also a leap into something new for me -- I am still exploring the amazing NIK software that is included with my DxO PhotoLab 3 editing software and discovering an amazing collection of presets and filters that can transform what otherwise might be an ordinary image into something a little mysterious and intriguing.... This actually was in Efex Color Pro, even though the image is presented in B&W. I was heading towards the posterization filter but this preset had me stopping right there and saying, "OK, this is it!" Wow, I've been missing out on a lot of possibilities for taking my images to a different level!

View attachment 1656268
Very cool!

Good one, Connie!

Leaping into this Collective Shoot
THAT'S the spirit!

this preset had me stopping right there and saying, "OK, this is it!"
Especially when you're experimenting and in the earlier part of a learning curve, it takes SO much discipline to stop going further and too far once you've come upon a look that you like. Well done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom