CS #691 - In the Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cubbyhole is the least used part of my kitchen but it's the most important part when things go wrong with the appliances or when I forget how to use a particular capability. That's because we keep all of the user manuals for our appliances in that cubbyhole.

The photo also serves as a reminder of the importance these days more than ever of keeping our handles clean.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rather a timely topic for me, as I await the arrival of a plumber to snake out the kitchen sink/drain...... I live in a condo and unfortunately there are two problems: one is that the buildings are getting older and of course so is the plumbing, and the second, more important one, is that the way the kitchen plumbing stack is arranged on this side of the building, every time there is a blockage in the plumbing line I get to see remnants of what the neighbors must've had for dinner! This has been a problem that has occurred over the years, and at times it's been a situation where I discovered my kitchen sink overflowing and my kitchen floor covered with water -- most unpleasant, to say the least! At other times I've been fortunate enough to have seen the signs early-on in enough time to get a plumber in here to snake the line and break up the blockage before it becomes a major mess. I imagine that with the neighbors home rather than at work and probably cooking more, eating more, using their dishwashers more, that this is part of what is going on now; last time I had to have the plumber was back in November. Last night as I was rinsing my own dishes after dinner I saw the familiar signs of an incipient problem: water not going down promptly, some backing-up into the sink when I ran the disposal, etc., and so this morning contacted the condo management who has arranged for a plumber to come out this afternoon. Fun times! At least it's not at night or on a weekend which is usually when this kind of thing happens.

Anyway, the photo is one I snapped with my iPhone of things that are normally kept under the sink now removed from there so that the area is ready for the plumber when he gets here. As you can see I don't keep much under there these days, and for good reason!

Waiting for Plumber.jpeg

These guys are always going at it.

glad this theme is getting a little traction. Had time this morning to shoot in my own kitchen--

Two of these things are not like the others
49677347056_561383609d_o.jpg
Kitchen -two of these things are not like the others by urbanflyer, on Flickr

Kitchen Fox--a reminder of our trip up the Alcan and points beyond
kitchen fox by urbanflyer, on Flickr

by urbanflyer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Time is running out

A tape measure is perhaps not the tool we automatically think of as a kitchen tool but this one remains in my kitchen for exclusive use in the kitchen. I use it for measuring the size of a baking sheet (why aren't the dimensions permanently displayed on baking sheets?). I also use it to measure the approximate size of a mound of cookie dough, the approximate distances between each mound and the dimensions of pastry dough that has been spread thin using a rolling pin. There are probably other uses that don't immediately come to mind.

Notice the condition of the tape measure. That explains why I would never ever let it come in contact with food.

Mike 2020-03-20--001-S.jpg

We jokingly call this our beverage center, knowing that it's used almost exclusively for wine and latte. Notice that the decanter is really old; the stains are from red wine.

It's on a drop leaf table that becomes about eight times as large when both leaves are raised. Drop leaf tables are ideal for use in small kitchens and ours is small.

Mike 2020-03-20--002-S.jpg

1. "Hi shorty, come here often?"

2. Always practice safe sautéing!

They say ... don't hoard, the supply chain is very healthy. But when you go to the store, there is only this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom