CS #704 - Your favorite old things which still work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show us your favorite things which are well past a normal lifetime but still give good service.

The usual rules apply: post only pictures made between midnight tonight July 1 your local time, and midnight next Wednesday July 8th.

Here are a couple of examples.

1. Taylor Stormoguide barometer c.a. 1927
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. McIntosh C-26 stereo preamplifier from 1973

I look forward to seeing your old stuff!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amana upright freezer.
(Purchased 50 years ago this summer, has run continuously since)

Wheel Horse lawn and garden tractor
(Purchased new in Spring of 1988, I mowed my back lot with it this morning)

In fact, that Wheel Horse tractor has never been in a shop and still runs like a top at 32 years of age.

Not sure how old this clock is because it was owned by my parents. It is at least 60 or more years old. It was not working so I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it last year and it has been working great ever since.

Real Name
Ken St John
My ex and I purchased this around 1978, and it's really about the only thing that I have been able to keep throughout the intervening years ... in spite of numerous moves, a divorce, etc. When I bought it, I was told it was a Junghaus from Germany and was built in the late 1890's-early 1900's. It's been to a master clockmaker here in town once for service about 15 years ago. I can't take it back for a refresh since that guy must have passed away and there are no such shops left in town!! It still keeps accurate time, as long as I remember to wind it once a week or so!!
IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

Cheers!!

Ken

I built this step stool in woodshop class when I was in the seventh grade. I gave it to my parents and they used it for the rest of their lives. I re-acquired it when they died and have had it ever since. Being that I am 86 years old today that makes this a pretty old step stool.

I'm not sure whether this qualifies for providing service past its normal time, but it's quite old and provides my wife and me enjoyment every day.

It's a signed image made under extraordinarily difficult circumstances just 19 years after the generally recognized birth of photography. The 16" x 20" albumen silver print was made from a glass plate negative of the same size coated with wet collodion at the time of capture and development. Photographer Francis Frith titled it Pyramids of Dahshur from the Southwest 1858.

Mike 2020-07-02--001-S.jpg

Last edited:
I built this step stool in woodshop class when I was in the seventh grade. I gave it to my parents and they used it for the rest of their lives. I re-acquired it when they died and have had it ever since. Being that I am 86 years old today that makes this a pretty old step stool. View attachment 1664848

That looks like a very well-made stool. And indeed it must be to have survived this long.

And Happy Birthday!

My ex and I purchased this around 1978, and it's really about the only thing that I have been able to keep throughout the intervening years ... in spite of numerous moves, a divorce, etc. When I bought it, I was told it was a Junghaus from Germany and was built in the late 1890's-early 1900's. It's been to a master clockmaker here in town once for service about 15 years ago. I can't take it back for a refresh since that guy must have passed away and there are no such shops left in town!! It still keeps accurate time, as long as I remember to wind it once a week or so!!
View attachment 1664846
View attachment 1664847
Cheers!!

Ken
That clock really doesn't look that old.

I'm not sure whether this qualifies for providing service past its normal time, but it's quite old and provides my wife and me enjoyment every day.

It's a signed image made under extraordinarily difficult circumstances just 19 years after the generally recognized birth of photography. The 16" x 20" albumen silver print was made from a glass plate negative of the same size coated with wet collodion at the time of capture and development. Photographer Francis Frith titled it Pyramids of Dahshur from the Southwest 1858.

View attachment 1664849

An historic photograph for sure!

Bought this Lapis stone 45 years ago in Herat, and then had a ring made for it in Agra.
Still fashionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom