CS #704 - Your favorite old things which still work

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorites of my old straight razors.
In the early days of flight in outer space the astronauts were allowed to take one item of their own choosing on board and the tradition was that they would keep their choice a secret until the flight was in progress. One of the astronauts took a straight razor, as at the time that was the only way to shave while in outer space.

In the early days of flight in outer space the astronauts were allowed to take one item of their own choosing on board and the tradition was that they would keep their choice a secret until the flight was in progress. One of the astronauts took a straight razor, as at the time that was the only way to shave while in outer space.
I vaguely recall something about that. Googled... looks like Apollo 11's Michael Collins brought up a safety razor and shaving cream. It was donated to Smithsonian. Not quite a straight razor, but makes sense in those days. Clearly less "risky"...

Have you got a reference for that? I can't find anything.

I did find this article on shaving in space both informative and interesting. There's no mention of straight razors.
http://www.astrocryptotriviology.com/blog/2016/8/12/the-first-time-anyone-shaved-in-space

Couple more details from Greg's car that I shared on this thread. Not sure if this ornament is the original one or if Greg's dad found a replacement, but I think it is beautiful. PS....I'm loving the 105 f2.8 macro lens on my Z6 with the FTZ adapter.
_DSC0321.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_DSC0314.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tools...

These pipe wrenches are older than me, handed down from my dad, who was a plumber. They come in very handy.

Not used that often, but when needed, these taps are life-savers.

Tools...
View attachment 1665100
These pipe wrenches are older than me, handed down from my dad, who was a plumber. They come in very handy.

View attachment 1665101
Not used that often, but when needed, these taps are life-savers.

Paul, it looks like your tools are neatly stored, unlike mine. I have one old pipe wrench like that which gets used occasionally.

Nicely photographed.

Thanks! That came from my dad, who was extremely anal about always putting away tools immediately when done using them, and always putting them in the same place. Good thing, as I have a LOT of tools.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
1988 these two gems were state of the art:

(1) F4S

(2) F801

In 1988 I was dreaming of an SLR camera. How often did I took a look to the F4 sales brochure. But - it was much to expansive. So I bought the little sister - the F801. In the US it is known as N8008.
For 25 years it was my constant companion. And now, 32 years later I got a F4/F4S.
Both cameras are still working very well. I shoot b/w with them.

Enjoy
Klaus

(1) F4S
View attachment 1665250

(2) F801
View attachment 1665251

In 1988 I was dreaming of an SLR camera. How often did I took a look to the F4 sales brochure. But - it was much to expansive. So I bought the little sister - the F801. In the US it is known as N8008.
For 25 years it was my constant companion. And now, 32 years later I got a F4/F4S.

Enjoy
Klaus
Beautifully photographed, Klaus. I dreamed of a Nikon F in the 1960s and 1970s but had to settle for Minolta.

(1) F4S
View attachment 1665250

(2) F801
View attachment 1665251

Enjoy
Klaus
Nice shots! I was wondering when someone would show old camera gear. I was thinking of my 28mm F2.8 Ais or my 200mm f4, both old manual lenses, but ran out of time - darn work interfering with play time. :)

Back in around 1969-early 1970’s I got into photography with greater impetus than previously, and at that time I was still shooting with a Minolta. For the time being, for me the Holy Grail was a Nikon. The Gold Standard. I strived to be worthy of a Nikon. Finally one day I decided it was time, I was ready to take the Next Big Step.....and bought a Nikon N90. I wasn’t ready at all for anything in the “F” series, that was too advanced for me, but oh, I was so happy with that N90! At some point I took a photography class and all of us were wildly envious of the guy who had a Nikon “F” — I think it may have even been the F 5? — Sad to say, that guy had the money for that camera but he sure didn’t have the genuine creativity to go along with his purchase of it and various lenses..... But, oh, that camera body and its capabilities.....!!!! Most of us in that class drooled......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom