CS #704 - Your favorite old things which still work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, besides the 2 humanoids (retired and pushing 70, and the house, built in 1933) here are some old working things I could find:

1. A 1909 Cable Nelson Upright Grand. We bought it in 1983 from the original owner, a piano teacher in the small town of Potlatch, some 15 miles north of us. Wife, daughter and some friends will play it occasionally. I use it as a picture, plant and art work (daughters work) stand. It's missing a few bits of ivory on the keys where generations of kids have practiced their scales.
OLD005_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. A Shaker broom, from 1982. The broom maker told us if we keep it hung from a peg, and not resting on the ground, it would outlive us. Used every day since.
OLD007_DxO.jpg

3. A 1975 Thermos, the first thing my wife and I bought as a couple (before we were married). We were to drive from Missoula, MT (where we were both in grad school) to her parents in Grand Rapids, MN, over Christmas break. Still use it today, occasionally.
OLD006_DxO.jpg

4. A fossilized palm from the late Cretaceous, about 80 some million years old. Still goes about doing its fossil thing every day :p:rolleyes:
OLD012_DxO.jpg

Well, besides the 2 humanoids (retired and pushing 70, and the house, built in 1933) here are some old working things I could find:

1. A 1909 Cable Nelson Upright Grand. We bought it in 1983 from the original owner, a piano teacher in the small town of Potlatch, some 15 miles north of us. Wife, daughter and some friends will play it occasionally. I use it as a picture, plant and art work (daughters work) stand. It's missing a few bits of ivory on the keys where generations of kids have practiced their scales.
View attachment 1664853

2. A Shaker broom, from 1982. The broom maker told us if we keep it hung from a peg, and not resting on the ground, it would outlive us. Used every day since.
View attachment 1664855
3. A 1975 Thermos, the first thing my wife and I bought as a couple (before we were married). We were to drive from Missoula, MT (where we were both in grad school) to her parents in Grand Rapids, MN, over Christmas break. Still use it today, occasionally.
View attachment 1664854

4. A fossilized palm from the late Cretaceous, about 80 some million years old. Still goes about doing its fossil thing every day :p:rolleyes:
View attachment 1664856

Lots of good examples there, Nick. Your Thermos bottle and broom, besides being well photographed, have reminded me of a couple of things.

2. McIntosh C-26 stereo preamplifier from 1973
I'm so very envious! I love the sound from a Mac!

It's a signed image made under extraordinarily difficult circumstances just 19 years after the generally recognized birth of photography. The 16" x 20" albumen silver print was made from a glass plate negative of the same size coated with wet collodion at the time of capture and development. Photographer Francis Frith titled it Pyramids of Dahshur from the Southwest 1858.

Historic, for sure.

Bought this Lapis stone 45 years ago in Herat, and then had a ring made for it in Agra.
Still fashionable.

Very nice, and you can always summon the genie by rubbing the gem!

Congratulations, Gordon! Make it a GREAT day!
Thank you Mike, I try to enjoy all my days. I appreciate your remarks

Well, happy birthday, Gordon, May you continue to bring joy to your family and your Café friends for a long, long time!
Thanks Nick, my family is large so there is much that I can do for them. I appreciate you and all the Nikon Café members and appreciate all the wonderful images and words of advice they have shared with me over the years.
An historic photograph for sure!
Thank you Jim, the step stool is sort of historic and brings back good memories of my youth.

Show us your favorite things which are well past a normal lifetime but still give good service.

The usual rules apply: post only pictures made between midnight tonight July 1 your local time, and midnight next Wednesday July 8th.

Here are a couple of examples.

View attachment 1664818
I look forward to seeing your old stuff!

View attachment 1664818
[/QUOTE]
I had to look up "PREamplifier" to see what it was.

This Coleman ice chest we purchased in 1967 for our first trip to the beach as a married couple. It still gets used quite often and still "works" fine after 53 years.

_JZ64061.jpg

Rapala lures, loved by fish everywhere. Got these in the 80's ... good as new.
rapala.JPG

Real Name
Paul
Amana upright freezer.
(Purchased 50 years ago this summer, has run continuously since)

View attachment 1664841

Wheel Horse lawn and garden tractor
(Purchased new in Spring of 1988, I mowed my back lot with it this morning)

View attachment 1664842
In fact, that Wheel Horse tractor has never been in a shop and still runs like a top at 32 years of age.
Great theme Jim! It is amazing how some of that old appliances last so long. We had a hand me down Maytag washer and dryer from the 60s that lasted well into the 80s.

Real Name
Paul

View attachment 1664853

View attachment 1664855
View attachment 1664854

View attachment 1664856
Nice set! Great looking piano. I remember the Thermos' from when I was a kid. I think I have a Coleman laying around.

Show us your favorite things which are well past a normal lifetime but still give good service.

The usual rules apply: post only pictures made between midnight tonight July 1 your local time, and midnight next Wednesday July 8th.

Here are a couple of examples.

1. Taylor Stormoguide barometer c.a. 1927
View attachment 1664817

View attachment 1664818
I look forward to seeing your old stuff!
Beautiful, Jim. Way back in college days, I lusted to be able to acquire a McIntosh system.

Amana upright freezer.
(Purchased 50 years ago this summer, has run continuously since)

View attachment 1664841

Wheel Horse lawn and garden tractor
(Purchased new in Spring of 1988, I mowed my back lot with it this morning)

View attachment 1664842
In fact, that Wheel Horse tractor has never been in a shop and still runs like a top at 32 years of age.
Simply shows that you know how to choose and maintain your gear, I'm thinkin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom