CS #704 - Your favorite old things which still work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built this step stool in woodshop class when I was in the seventh grade. I gave it to my parents and they used it for the rest of their lives. I re-acquired it when they died and have had it ever since. Being that I am 86 years old today that makes this a pretty old step stool. View attachment 1664848
Super craftmanship, Gordon! And, as a fellow "old-timer" on the Café, I'm wishing you many more birthdays to come.

I'm not sure whether this qualifies for providing service past its normal time, but it's quite old and provides my wife and me enjoyment every day.

It's a signed image made under extraordinarily difficult circumstances just 19 years after the generally recognized birth of photography. The 16" x 20" albumen silver print was made from a glass plate negative of the same size coated with wet collodion at the time of capture and development. Photographer Francis Frith titled it Pyramids of Dahshur from the Southwest 1858.

View attachment 1664849
Terrific acquisition, Mike. Certainly an historical document.

Well, besides the 2 humanoids (retired and pushing 70, and the house, built in 1933) here are some old working things I could find:

1. A 1909 Cable Nelson Upright Grand. We bought it in 1983 from the original owner, a piano teacher in the small town of Potlatch, some 15 miles north of us. Wife, daughter and some friends will play it occasionally. I use it as a picture, plant and art work (daughters work) stand. It's missing a few bits of ivory on the keys where generations of kids have practiced their scales.
View attachment 1664853

2. A Shaker broom, from 1982. The broom maker told us if we keep it hung from a peg, and not resting on the ground, it would outlive us. Used every day since.
View attachment 1664855
3. A 1975 Thermos, the first thing my wife and I bought as a couple (before we were married). We were to drive from Missoula, MT (where we were both in grad school) to her parents in Grand Rapids, MN, over Christmas break. Still use it today, occasionally.
View attachment 1664854

4. A fossilized palm from the late Cretaceous, about 80 some million years old. Still goes about doing its fossil thing every day :p:rolleyes:
View attachment 1664856
Love these, Nick! Spot on.

This is a Fox Sterlingworth 20 ga double barrel shotgun my great grand-father bought new in 1932, I store it taken apart in a soft case he got for it. It still works, I have some snap caps in the chambers and both of them "fired" this morning. I last shot it about 20 years ago, cleaned it and put it away. He bought it to hunt rabbits in upstate NY. It was passed to my grand mother, then my father and I got it about 30 years when my father died. Neither of my sons want it, they do not want guns in their homes. It's a very nice handling shotgun.
fox.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Paul
This is a Fox Sterlingworth 20 ga double barrel shotgun my great grand-father bought new in 1932, I store it taken apart in a soft case he got for it. It still works, I have some snap caps in the chambers and both of them "fired" this morning. I last shot it about 20 years ago, cleaned it and put it away. He bought it to hunt rabbits in upstate NY. It was passed to my grand mother, then my father and I got it about 30 years when my father died. Neither of my sons want it, they do not want guns in their homes. It's a very nice handling shotgun. View attachment 1664908
Nice shot, and what a great family heirloom.

This is a Fox Sterlingworth 20 ga double barrel shotgun my great grand-father bought new in 1932, I store it taken apart in a soft case he got for it. It still works, I have some snap caps in the chambers and both of them "fired" this morning. I last shot it about 20 years ago, cleaned it and put it away. He bought it to hunt rabbits in upstate NY. It was passed to my grand mother, then my father and I got it about 30 years when my father died. Neither of my sons want it, they do not want guns in their homes. It's a very nice handling shotgun.
I have friends that belong to a gun club, they took me to their annual Turkey shoot, I used a similar side by side given me and entered the "amateur" trap shoot contest. I beat out some old lady but lost to some kid. Sore shoulder for a week.

This is a Fox Sterlingworth 20 ga double barrel shotgun my great grand-father bought new in 1932, I store it taken apart in a soft case he got for it. It still works, I have some snap caps in the chambers and both of them "fired" this morning. I last shot it about 20 years ago, cleaned it and put it away. He bought it to hunt rabbits in upstate NY. It was passed to my grand mother, then my father and I got it about 30 years when my father died. Neither of my sons want it, they do not want guns in their homes. It's a very nice handling shotgun. View attachment 1664908

That shotgun is an American Classic. It looks to be in beautiful shape. The 20 gauge was very desirable. Well photographed, too.

I have an Ansley H. Fox "A" grade 16-gauge double of about the same vintage and it looks almost exactly like this one. I bought it at a gun show about 30 years ago and, like you, I last fired it about 20 years ago, though I'm sure it will still fire. I used it for grouse hunting for several years but gave that up about 20 years ago.

Greg's Dad had an old Model A that he restored. When he died he left Greg his car. It has been in storage for years, but Greg got it out today and had it running for a little neighborhood parade that we did with our grandkids....(photos of that to come). Here is the car after he washed it and got it ready for the day.

_DSC9993.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Greg's Dad had an old Model A that he restored. When left Greg his car. It has been in storage for years, but Greg got it out today and had it running for a little neighborhood parade that we did with our grandkids....(photos of that to come). Here is the car after he washed it and got it ready for the day.

View attachment 1664984
Wonderful shot of an antique car!

Real Name
Paul
My 25 year old car...
theo-6551.jpg

theo-6559.jpg

cs-704-6550.jpg

I use it a lot from Spring to Fall, and store in the driveway during the Winter.

Was hoping to post a lot more, but am going through a nightmare with Lightroom, right now. IT hangs on startup. Had to uninstall all Adobe products, and reinstall LR (and try to remember what my presets were). Now, I've got to figure out how to at least get PS from CS6 installed (no DVD drive on this Mac).

My 25 year old car...
View attachment 1665015

View attachment 1665016

View attachment 1665017

I use it a lot from Spring to Fall, and store in the driveway during the Winter.

Was hoping to post a lot more, but am going through a nightmare with Lightroom, right now. IT hangs on startup. Had to uninstall all Adobe products, and reinstall LR (and try to remember what my presets were). Now, I've got to figure out how to at least get PS from CS6 installed (no DVD drive on this Mac).
My 25 year old car...
View attachment 1665015

View attachment 1665016

View attachment 1665017

I like your Beemer. I also own a 25 year old Infinity that is still my everyday driver. It is well up into the 200,000 mile range and runs like a top. Best car I have ever owned.

Greg's Dad had an old Model A that he restored. When he died he left Greg his car. It has been in storage for years, but Greg got it out today and had it running for a little neighborhood parade that we did with our grandkids....(photos of that to come). Here is the car after he washed it and got it ready for the day.

View attachment 1664984
Wow, what a beauty!

Finally got around to shooting my favorite old thing: my antique Sellers cabinet, which I use as a "pantry" since there is none in the kitchen in my condo apartment. When I was getting ready to move into this place, one day I was wandering through an antique store and spotted this cabinet. I knew instantly that it was exactly what I wanted, and promptly bought it and arranged for the shop owner to hold it until I had actually moved into this place. A week after I moved in, the cabinet was delivered and set up in the place it has lived ever since. It has a pull-out table which I use as an extra countertop, more-or-less, with a pad and pen for my grocery list, a box of Kleenex, and since it is the season when I am out on my deck most afternoons/evenings, an external keyboard and the stand for my 12.9" iPad, whatever book I happen to be reading, and the RX10 camera, which I keep out on the deck table with me when I'm out there in case there is something interesting which comes along and I don't have time to run into the house to grab the A7R IV and a lens. It has come in handy several times! Also it lives out there for those occasions when I'm in the house and happen to spot something, so I can just run out to the kitchen, grab the camera, step out on the deck and shoot. Did that earlier today, actually, when I suddenly saw a cormorant swimming by on the lake.

On the rare occasions I hand-wash my good crystal and such, I pull the table out to its full extent and use that for the glassware to expedite the whole process. The cabinet, too, has served nicely from time to time as a place to shoot flowers or other tabletop subjects in natural light, positioning a foam core board against the closed doors of the cabinet and putting the subject in front of that.

The cabinet has drawers underneath plus a large space for stashing odds-and-ends of things, while the top section is the most used, pretty much on a daily basis, as that is where I store canned goods, various kinds of pasta, pasta sauces, coffee, etc., etc., and also I keep a supply of straws and plastic "silverware" for use on the deck. I dearly love this thing and it has been so, so useful through the years.....

Antique Sellers Cabinet.jpeg

Real Name
Paul
Union Cutlery Spike...
cs-704-6592.jpg

One of my favorites of my old straight razors. Currently using this for my shaving.

Finally got around to shooting my favorite old thing: my antique Sellers cabinet, which I use as a "pantry" since there is none in the kitchen in my condo apartment. When I was getting ready to move into this place, one day I was wandering through an antique store and spotted this cabinet. I knew instantly that it was exactly what I wanted, and promptly bought it and arranged for the shop owner to hold it until I had actually moved into this place. A week after I moved in, the cabinet was delivered and set up in the place it has lived ever since. It has a pull-out table which I use as an extra countertop, more-or-less, with a pad and pen for my grocery list, a box of Kleenex, and since it is the season when I am out on my deck most afternoons/evenings, an external keyboard and the stand for my 12.9" iPad, whatever book I happen to be reading, and the RX10 camera, which I keep out on the deck table with me when I'm out there in case there is something interesting which comes along and I don't have time to run into the house to grab the A7R IV and a lens. It has come in handy several times! Also it lives out there for those occasions when I'm in the house and happen to spot something, so I can just run out to the kitchen, grab the camera, step out on the deck and shoot. Did that earlier today, actually, when I suddenly saw a cormorant swimming by on the lake.

On the rare occasions I hand-wash my good crystal and such, I pull the table out to its full extent and use that for the glassware to expedite the whole process. The cabinet, too, has served nicely from time to time as a place to shoot flowers or other tabletop subjects in natural light, positioning a foam core board against the closed doors of the cabinet and putting the subject in front of that.

The cabinet has drawers underneath plus a large space for stashing odds-and-ends of things, while the top section is the most used, pretty much on a daily basis, as that is where I store canned goods, various kinds of pasta, pasta sauces, coffee, etc., etc., and also I keep a supply of straws and plastic "silverware" for use on the deck. I dearly love this thing and it has been so, so useful through the years.....

View attachment 1665018

Looks like a very nice and useful cabinet, Connie. Thanks for posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom