CS #708 - What's Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the excitement about the Raclette grill. If I understand it correctly, it's just a broiler at the dinner table. The same thing can be accomplished using the broiler built into the kitchen oven. The only difference is that the handle doesn't get hot when using the Raclette grill. A silicon mitten solves that problem. Someone could invent a silicon sleeve (it has probably already been done) to slip over the handle when transferring the skillet from the kitchen broiler/oven to the table to protect diners while eating directly out of the skillet.
As others mentioned, it is all about the event ;)

- everyone cooks for his own
- what he wants (you can offer different kinds of cheese, like smoked, with pepper, garlic, herbs...)
- you can eat slowly or fast, make a pause
- flavour to your choice before cooking or after
- put slices of shrooms or bacon in instead or with cheese...

Social eating that can take hours. Traditionally accompanied by tea, white wine and spirits.

Real Name
Paul
Ordinary Tuesday breakfast being prepared...
cs-708-6728.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Greek yogurt, blueberries and cinnamon, and uncured bacon, for a quick meal before starting work...
cs-708-6729.jpg

At the lake for the week. Internet has been spotty at best but I have a connection this morning. Here is where most of our cooking is being done this week.
B0B3A402-AD5C-496A-BF7A-B487A53E3E6F.jpeg

With everybody showing healthy food here... Rainy weather for 1 1/2 days now... Staying inside... Cold... We decided to go the 'more pizza way' (= mentally healthy food)!

... and have - our typically swiss (skiing... :p) ) holiday meal!

Preparing
Mayla cutting, Luca putting into dishes
(Vegetables: she's doing mushrooms, they've finished peperoni, cucumber, onion, and zucchetti is yet to be done in the back)

View attachment 1666905

Ready to go: Raclette
All set up on table in the loggia - it's going to stink from cheese
(3 types of cheese, before mentioned pre-cut veggies, plus pickled cucumbers, corn and zucchetti. Flavourings, potatoes, bacon... and omelette dough, the children like this better)

View attachment 1666906

Ready to eat
One slice of smoked cheese, molten, over
potato, pickled zucchetti, pickled gherkin, and some onion

View attachment 1666907
We have a raclette machine very similar to yours. We usually serve it with small sour gherkins, cocktail onions , boiled new potatoes and crusty bread and a nice white wine. Lots of fun when you have a couple over and spend time at the table socializing, then finish the meal with a nice but small tumbler of Kirrschwasser. Picked up the taste for Raclette when we lived in Lausanne and would frequent a restaurant "Chez Charles" on the outskirts of Pully. They used a stand where they would put a 1/2 wheel of cheese and then swing it into the fireplace to melt the outer layer, which was then scrapped and put on a small plate. At the end of the evening your bill was determined by the number of plates stacked at the end of the table.

We have a raclette machine very similar to yours. We usually serve it with small sour gherkins, cocktail onions , boiled new potatoes and crusty bread and a nice white wine. Lots of fun when you have a couple over and spend time at the table socializing, then finish the meal with a nice but small tumbler of Kirrschwasser. Picked up the taste for Raclette when we lived in Lausanne and would frequent a restaurant "Chez Charles" on the outskirts of Pully. They used a stand where they would put a 1/2 wheel of cheese and then swing it into the fireplace to melt the outer layer, which was then scrapped and put on a small plate. At the end of the evening your bill was determined by the number of plates stacked at the end of the table.
That's a perfect description in much better words I'd be able to write! Brilliant!

I don't like Kirsch, though.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Emma likes to ask: "Uncle Walter, does icecream count too?"

D3S_0003.JPG

D3S_0004.JPG

D3S_0006.JPG

Enjoy
Klaus

Real Name
Paul
I didn't have dinner today, but on my way to a Soccer game, I saw this...

cs-708-IMG_0453.jpg

I immediately thought of Klaus. Quick snap from phone.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks for hosting Walter! It was fun to see the food people eat. Given the number of posts I made, you'd think I don't eat at all... unfortunately, been so busy at work, I didn't have time to shoot much. :( At least I could live vicariously through others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom