CS #708 - What's Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
With everybody showing healthy food here... Rainy weather for 1 1/2 days now... Staying inside... Cold... We decided to go the 'more pizza way' (= mentally healthy food)!

... and have - our typically swiss (skiing... :p) ) holiday meal!

Preparing
Mayla cutting, Luca putting into dishes
(Vegetables: she's doing mushrooms, they've finished peperoni, cucumber, onion, and zucchetti is yet to be done in the back)

Z07_0711~01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ready to go: Raclette
All set up on table in the loggia - it's going to stink from cheese
(3 types of cheese, before mentioned pre-cut veggies, plus pickled cucumbers, corn and zucchetti. Flavourings, potatoes, bacon... and omelette dough, the children like this better)

Z07_0717~01.jpg

Ready to eat
One slice of smoked cheese, molten, over
potato, pickled zucchetti, pickled gherkin, and some onion

Z07_0738~01.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
With everybody showing healthy food here... Rainy weather for 1 1/2 days now... Staying inside... Cold... We decided to go the 'more pizza way' (= mentally healthy food)!

Preparing
(Vegetables: she's doing mushrooms, they've finished peperoni, cucumber, onion, and zucchetti is yet to be done in the back)

View attachment 1666905

(3 types of cheese, before mentioned pre-cut veggies, plus pickled cucumbers, corn and zucchetti. Flavourings, potatoes, bacon... and omelette dough, the children like this better)

View attachment 1666906

Ready to eat

View attachment 1666907
Ah...RACLETTE! My husband was introduced to raclette when he lived in Germany for 5 years. If we see it in a store in the States, he always wants some! LOL!..

Great photos!

A) GREAT Photos ... looks yummy!!

B) What is this device? Is there a brand name or something for this? I've never seen anything like it!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Hmm, there are myriads of brands and devices to make raclette here, from 19.-- dirt cheap to big, quality ones, covered with a stone plate to cook sausages and fry bacon on.

This is the one stored in our holiday flat in Grindelwald, layed out for 4. The principle is always the same: a heating spiral under the cover that makes the cheese melt, which is placed right under it in these tiny pans.

EDIT:
I forgot: the one pictured is the quasi standard for home use, at the table. The more original way to do it is putting half a loaf of cheese under a heating device, or better even, near a fire or glow.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul

Preparing

View attachment 1666905

View attachment 1666906

Ready to eat

View attachment 1666907
Looks good! I like the cheese on the table too...I'm glad it is almost dinner time. I'm getting hungry looking at all these shots.

Oh, I just was in the loggia, closing the windows for the night - still smelly. Since dinner, in the aftermath:

- I drank several big glasses of water - cheese is salty, so not to wake up thirsty at night.
- Sat on the sofa reading a book
- And finally... this ends a wonderful evening:

Not really 'a meal'

Z06_2637~01.jpg

I don't get the excitement about the Raclette grill. If I understand it correctly, it's just a broiler at the dinner table. The same thing can be accomplished using the broiler built into the kitchen oven. The only difference is that the handle doesn't get hot when using the Raclette grill. A silicon mitten solves that problem. Someone could invent a silicon sleeve (it has probably already been done) to slip over the handle when transferring the skillet from the kitchen broiler/oven to the table to protect diners while eating directly out of the skillet.

Real Name
Ken St John
I don't get the excitement about the Raclette grill. If I understand it correctly, it's just a broiler at the dinner table. The same thing can be accomplished using the broiler built into the kitchen oven. The only difference is that the handle doesn't get hot when using the Raclette grill. A silicon mitten solves that problem. Someone could invent a silicon sleeve (it has probably already been done) to slip over the handle when transferring the skillet from the kitchen broiler/oven to the table to protect diners while eating directly out of the skillet.

I see your point, Mike. But for me it's a bit more of the fun over function. We cook our Asian "hot pots" and Shabu Shabu quite often at our table and this might be a nice add on to use for some other types of food. For example, some steak slices, or sausages, or bacon, on the top with some omelettes in the little trays ... each person kind of mixes their own up for a nice DIY breakfast.

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom