CS #717 - The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I live alone I always try to keep extras on hand, especially during the winter months, in case I cannot or do not want to go out.....this paid off during the lockdown and the absence of toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, etc., on store shelves, as I had sufficient quantities of each to get me through until the shortage eased up and supplies began reappearing again. I keep the small bottles of water on hand, as I drink them from time to time around home and also they are handy when going out shooting away from home or when on a long car trip. I do recall one year when the power was out for nearly a week -- that was years ago -- and it was kind of fun how the neighbors all got together in the common area, everybody bringing stuff from freezers and refrigerators and sharing, cooking on grills and such so that at least for the first couple of days we could salvage that before it went bad. Eventually power began being restored to certain areas and it was easier to go out to look for places that were open and serving food. At least it wasn't like a major snowstorm in the winter, where driving anywhere is nearly impossible!

My wife has always insisted that we stash small amounts of canned goods and bottled water. That's despite that we live in an area that rarely gets a hurricane, tornado, earth quake, flood, fire or massive snow storm. Indeed, in the nearly 50 years I've lived here, I don't think we've been without electricity for more than two days, three at the most. My wife doesn't have a middle name but she has an imaginary middle initial: "W" for worry.
I think I'm related to your wife......Funny thing, Greg's middle initial is W. He seldom worries.

The new normal...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's fall, and October, and that means one thing around here - - the invasion of the pears! We have about 4-5 wine boxes filled with pears, and still more on the tree. And that's just the Bosc.

Starting at midnight tonight (Wednesday, September 30, 2020, wherever you are, and for the following week the next (ending exactly a week later) CS #717 will study the 'The New Normal'.

All of us are facing the changes and challenges wrought by Covid. Many are facing the challenges and opportunities of a new retirement. Others may have a new spouse, a new kid, grandkid, a new vehicle or pet. Some may have moved to a new town or house. And most of us are facing the changes in season. If all else fails—a new lens or camera :rolleyes:

The choice is yours as long as you follow the Café CS rules: submissions are to be photographs taken over the next seven days and nights; maximum three shots per post, but there is nothing to stop you making more than one post; all to be "safe"; and the golden rule - have fun doing it. I'm sure samples are not really needed but some archival shots to help motivate those creative juices!

1. Retirement means never having to apologize for a mid-day nap!
View attachment 1670986

2. Covid means more solo entertainment.
View attachment 1670987

3. Covid/retirement/fall is best enjoyed with a warm drink and comforting fire.

View attachment 1670988

Now get shooting!

PS: Happy vacation, Klaus!
Great examples and theme Nick. Will try to play some, coupled with the Oktoberfest.

Popped in to this place today. They were obviously hoping for more customers than were present on this occasion and I really hope they get them.

View attachment 1671049The Cheese Shop by warth man, on Flickr

View attachment 1671050Take Away by warth man, on Flickr

Lots of very tasty cheeses, all carefully selected from small, traditional makers. Under Covid-19 restrictions only two customers at a time can go into the shop and the café tables are spaced well apart. The take away service has become self-service. They have always been dependent on passing trade as they are out in the countryside, although alongside a main road. Here's hoping the new normal will see business build back up to the levels they need and, I think, deserve.
Idyllic setting for that shop, Ron.

Tibetan prayer flags:

Updated to version 2020:

Big winner is Hugo. 100% attention with daily walks.

Real Name
Ken St John
Kind of a new normal ... finding something new to do to keep busy at home. Teaching myself to make some wood projects, several of which are going to end up as Christmas gifts this year!! These are the first two that are nearing completion.

This one is red oak (we think). Sure is plenty hard!! Not only did we plane and sand it, I also used some resin to fill in some imperfections (holes) and create a bit of a "river" effect. It's destined to be a chopping block/cutting board for my daughter and her family. I still need to fill some additional holes and do some touchup with the blue epoxy. Finally, I'll finish both sides with cutting board oil.

This one was listed as "sequoia" ... which I believe is similar to redwood. Very soft wood ... way too soft for a cutting board. This one's better suited for use as a serving tray. I still have to finish this one but after sanding with some 3,000 grit sandpaper, it's developed a bit of a natural shine.

We've been getting the wood from a local company that makes those really large, fancy, tables and so on with reclaimed wood. (Prices well into 4 digits!!) These are all from their "bargain bin" of scrap lumber. I pay anywhere from $5 to $20 for the wood and have been learning how to finish them. I have several more to work on.

Ken

Kind of a new normal ... finding something new to do to keep busy at home. Teaching myself to make some wood projects, several of which are going to end up as Christmas gifts this year!! These are the first two that are nearing completion.
View attachment 1671073
This one is red oak (we think). Sure is plenty hard!! Not only did we plane and sand it, I also used some resin to fill in some imperfections (holes) and create a bit of a "river" effect. It's destined to be a chopping block/cutting board for my daughter and her family. I still need to fill some additional holes and do some touchup with the blue epoxy. Finally, I'll finish both sides with cutting board oil.
View attachment 1671071
This one was listed as "sequoia" ... which I believe is similar to redwood. Very soft wood ... way too soft for a cutting board. This one's better suited for use as a serving tray. I still have to finish this one but after sanding with some 3,000 grit sandpaper, it's developed a bit of a natural shine.
View attachment 1671070
View attachment 1671072
We've been getting the wood from a local company that makes those really large, fancy, tables and so on with reclaimed wood. (Prices well into 4 digits!!) These are all from their "bargain bin" of scrap lumber. I pay anywhere from $5 to $20 for the wood and have been learning how to finish them. I have several more to work on.

Ken
Sounds like fun projects for you, and you can photograph the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom