CS #717 - The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
EjLE0JSXcAA1UEb.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Times are tough ... hey I know, let's commission a 25 foot 4.8 Million dollar Chandelier and put it under a bridge :D

Chandelier granville bridge 25 feet.JPG

Yes indeed, the wonderful word of Zoom—love it or sleep through it, or drink through it . . . .

(I was well behaved, my first meeting as the new treasurer/finance chair).

Normal013_Nik.jpg

Kind of a new normal ... finding something new to do to keep busy at home. Teaching myself to make some wood projects, several of which are going to end up as Christmas gifts this year!! These are the first two that are nearing completion.
View attachment 1671073
This one is red oak (we think). Sure is plenty hard!! Not only did we plane and sand it, I also used some resin to fill in some imperfections (holes) and create a bit of a "river" effect. It's destined to be a chopping block/cutting board for my daughter and her family. I still need to fill some additional holes and do some touchup with the blue epoxy. Finally, I'll finish both sides with cutting board oil.
View attachment 1671071
This one was listed as "sequoia" ... which I believe is similar to redwood. Very soft wood ... way too soft for a cutting board. This one's better suited for use as a serving tray. I still have to finish this one but after sanding with some 3,000 grit sandpaper, it's developed a bit of a natural shine.
View attachment 1671070
View attachment 1671072
We've been getting the wood from a local company that makes those really large, fancy, tables and so on with reclaimed wood. (Prices well into 4 digits!!) These are all from their "bargain bin" of scrap lumber. I pay anywhere from $5 to $20 for the wood and have been learning how to finish them. I have several more to work on.

Ken
That's a great hobby to take up. Greg is an amazing woodworker and it has blessed our lives greatly.

You didn't even set the good example of having a glass of wine during your Zoom session. Next time I expect better of you.
I had to give the financial report and answer related questions—the first of my tenure. All that is a foreign language to me—and we have a financial advisor and 2 lawyers on the 14-person board. The glass afterwards tasted fabulous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom