CS #725 - Free theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1674844

Old Dominion Boat Club
View attachment 1674845
This club used to occupy a rather shabby building right on the river. The City of Alexandria, as part of its plan to redevelop its waterfront, wanted an unimpeded walkway along the river. This is the result of the fiercely-negotiated bargain. I suspect more partying than boating goes on here.

Lower King Street on a cold weekday night, no longer teeming with people.
View attachment 1674846

That looks like a great place to wander around in the evening / at night.

Oh, come on. Sixty years from now he'll be showing these priceless photos taken by his grandfather to all of his friends and family. People post photos of their grandchildren all over the internet. Eating is very different from bathing naked.
That's my experience. We have had a photo of out kids and 3 friends mud-sliding (kids were 3-5 years old). One of them recently bought a house next to ours and as a house warming gift we gave him and his wife a large print of that event—al 5 kids were buck naked!, albeit covered in mud They love the shot.

Real Name
Paul
Sorry, Paul, Eric and anyone else, but I have to say this. I'm not laughing...... My reaction was quite different. To me, these photos are not amusing at all and actually are rather disturbing on various levels in a number of ways. Most important, of course, is what the child himself would think about someone posting such photos of him on a public site when he was very young and unable to express his own wishes about how he'd like to be represented on the internet? So what is this kid going to think, how is he going to feel, say, fifteen years from now when he somehow accidentally runs across these distinctly unflattering photos posted on a public site?

Even little children have a right to personal dignity. Would you or his parents take and publicly post photos of him naked in the bathtub?

Little kids are still learning about how to eat, they're still exploring new and interesting foods....that's perfectly natural and understandable. However....just a suggestion here for any parents/grandparents: maybe photos of them doing such explorations are best reserved for personal emails among family members who truly would be charmed by these images?
Wow... sorry that you feel offended by the image. I've always felt that it was common knowledge that a child under the age of two (and often older, to some degree), does not have the motor skills and coordination to do most things, and that such photos are not (to me) "unflattering", but instead a part of life.

The fact that a child doing something silly, is something to be cherished, and not scolded. Like the short video clip of him spinning in circles looking at the light from a flashlight he was holding, that I posted earlier.

I would think he would by amused to see photos of his childhood. I know I enjoy the few photos my parents took of me as a child.

Frankly, I'm offended that you would conflate a humorous photo with that of one exposing child nudity.

Of course I understand that the learning process for toddlers and young children, especially when it comes to eating, is going to be experimental and often messy..... I'm sure doting parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and others close to the child get a real kick out of this, if they're with the child at the time, and/or probably do enjoy photos and videos shared with them later if they weren't around when the kid first discovered the wonders of certain foods. Sharing this sort of image on Facebook with the far-flung family? Sure, why not go for it?

However..... it seems to me that things are a bit different when someone posts the same sort of family photos online on a public photography website which is seen by many others, most of whom are strangers to the family and to the child. There indeed, for various reasons, the reactions may not be the chuckles and the smiles. Some viewers may wonder why anyone, doting relative or not, would share a photo of a child which really IS unflattering.....regardless of why and how it happened, how funny it may have seemed to onlookers, or the age of the individual. IMHO food smeared all over someone's face, hands, clothing and the surrounding area is simply not attractive. I don't think I am alone in my thoughts about this.

It's certainly possible to post fun photos in which the child's dignity is preserved, showing him or her in a more flattering way. I've seen many delightful photos on here of people's children or grandchildren, photos which have been taken during some activity or during their wide-eyed exploration of the world....

Of course I understand that the learning process for toddlers and young children, especially when it comes to eating, is going to be experimental and often messy..... I'm sure doting parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and others close to the child get a real kick out of this, if they're with the child at the time, and/or probably do enjoy photos and videos shared with them later if they weren't around when the kid first discovered the wonders of certain foods. Sharing this sort of image on Facebook with the far-flung family? Sure, why not go for it?

However..... it seems to me that things are a bit different when someone posts the same sort of family photos online on a public photography website which is seen by many others, most of whom are strangers to the family and to the child. There indeed, for various reasons, the reactions may not be the chuckles and the smiles. Some viewers may wonder why anyone, doting relative or not, would share a photo of a child which really IS unflattering.....regardless of why and how it happened, how funny it may have seemed to onlookers, or the age of the individual. IMHO food smeared all over someone's face, hands, clothing and the surrounding area is simply not attractive. I don't think I am alone in my thoughts about this.

It's certainly possible to post fun photos in which the child's dignity is preserved, showing him or her in a more flattering way. I've seen many delightful photos on here of people's children or grandchildren, photos which have been taken during some activity or during their wide-eyed exploration of the world....
Surely don't want to prolong a dispute - especially in the Collective Shoot! - but I'm wondering whether the differing opinions arise from either being a parent or not? For me, Paul's evocative photo & video reminded me of similarly enjoyable episodes when my two children were at that age.

Just a terrible iphone photo. But, this is what we are spending our evenings doing. We have a granddaughter playing on her Jr. High 8th grade basketball team, and a grandson playing on his high school JV team. We can't go to their games, so they are being broadcast either through Facebook live or a national high school network. I feel bad for their parents. No parents can go to an away game and only one parent for each child can go to a home game. But at least the kids get to play and we have a way to participate. I'm grateful for that. We can airplay facebook from my phone or ipad onto our tv. We have 5 games to watch this week.
IMG_2016.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Surely don't want to prolong a dispute - especially in the Collective Shoot! - but I'm wondering whether the differing opinions arise from either being a parent or not? For me, Paul's evocative photo & video reminded me of similarly enjoyable episodes when my two children were at that age.
Absolutely. My kids, both in their 30's now, and their friends and their parents and families are always laughing their butts of at food-face pictures. I once dumped a bowl of milk and Cheerios on my son's head (he was 2 1/2 and was being a pill). To this day he asks me why I didn't take a picture of him like that! :D (film, that's why)

Just a terrible iphone photo. But, this is what we are spending our evenings doing. We have a granddaughter playing on her Jr. High 8th grade basketball team, and a grandson playing on his high school JV team. We can't go to their games, so they are being broadcast either through Facebook live or a national high school network. I feel bad for their parents. No parents can go to an away game and only one parent for each child can go to a home game. But at least the kids get to play and we have a way to participate. I'm grateful for that. We can airplay facebook from my phone or ipad onto our tv. We have 5 games to watch this week. View attachment 1674877
Cozy!
Sometimes it is the small simple pleasures that keep us going.

Real Name
Paul
Some viewers may wonder why anyone, doting relative or not, would share a photo of a child which really IS unflattering.....regardless of why and how it happened, how funny it may have seemed to onlookers, or the age of the individual. IMHO food smeared all over someone's face, hands, clothing and the surrounding area is simply not attractive. I don't think I am alone in my thoughts about this.

I was showing a story of a child exploring the pleasure of eating, which happens to be with his hands, as is common by all children of that age. I showed the before and after to give a sense of humor in how the plan (a nicely laid out plate of different foods), ended up.

It is showing real life, in all its messy grandeur. My intent is not to just show pictures of how "cute" he is, but to provide a perspective on what that stage of life is like, with warts and all. Some will be cute, some will be somber, some will be funny (to some folks), and some will be messy.

Photography is very subjective, and can, at times evoke emotions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom