CS #726 - The Games People Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Such a great start to this week's CS! That music is a real treasure but, WOW!, how about that violin and bow! Are you the expert violinist that deserves such a fine instrument? Have you ever made serious photos of it (though for a quick and dirty setup, this one is fine)?
As in photography, I'm an enthusiastic amateur of limited attainments. I had a long hiatus in my playing after my knee operations in 2011, but the pandemic brought me back, and I'm trying to recover some of my never more than modest abilities on the instrument.

I bought the violin sometime in the early 1980s. It's on the smallish side. (Gragnani was known to produce some slightly smaller instruments, of a type that used to be described as "ladies' violins," in addition to more robust instruments on the Stradivari model). It's not in tip-top condition, having undergone some serious repairs over the course of its life; it doesn't have a big sound; and questions have been raised as to whether the scroll is original to Gragnani. Those factors made it affordable to me at the time. That said, it has a very sweet, silvery, rounded sound -- the 18th century ideal -- and it's wonderfully, incredibly responsive to the slightest pressure from the bow, which makes it a pleasure to play. The purfling (the inlay around the edges) is of whalebone -- a rare and unusual material, which Gragnani, working in the port city of Livorno, is known to have used, and that's a guarantee of authenticity. (Ebony is the usual material for purfling.) It has a hand-written label, though labels in violins, maybe more often than not, are deceptive.

I acquired the bow more recently, probably around 2005, at auction. Voirin was one of the most outstanding French bowmakers (though not the most expensive). I certainly can't do justice to the capabilities of this bow, any more than I can do full justice to my Z6.

I believe that's a bass trombone. Right? Consider taking a closeup of the opposite side of the two triggers and explain them to the folks that might not have heard of a trigger on a trombone.

Don't explain the spit valve, as that might gross some people out, especially when you tell them that trombonists never use a spittoon. :ROFLMAO:
You are spot on. It's a Bb/F/Gb/D double independent trigger bass trombone from S.E.Shires. Will do the close up later if I get time. :)

Ronnie

I was terrible at playing Pick Up Sticks as a child and I would still be terrible today. That explains why we don't have the game in our household, which in turn explains why I had to use a proxy for the game.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is my friend's chess and checkers set designed by architect Michael Graves that gave me the idea of the theme for this week's Collective Shoot. Both photos will be used to advertise the set on eBay.

Mike 2020-12-04--0004-S.jpg

Mike 2020-12-04--0005-S.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
As much of a computer nerd as I am, I have never much liked computer games. Oh, I did "play" MS Flight Sim for many years off and on, but that's about it. Our son, on the other hand, is borderline obsessed. Enough so that he recently changed his degree program to earn a Comp Sci degree in Game Development!! Lately he's been playing a lot of Warhammer, which apparently has traditional online gaming, and a "live action" version that plays like a board game with dice. He's been buying troop models and painting them. Obviously he has much better eyes than I do as these guys are all less than 2 inches tall!!

Tried to use some natural sidelight from a window to be a bit more dramatic ... not sure if it worked or not!!

Ken

This is my friend's chess and checkers set designed by architect Michael Graves that gave me the idea of the theme for this week's Collective Shoot. Both photos will be used to advertise the set on eBay
Very smooth looking set. Your photos should jack up the price.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
As much of a computer nerd as I am, I have never much liked computer games. Oh, I did "play" MS Flight Sim for many years off and on, but that's about it. Our son, on the other hand, is borderline obsessed. Enough so that he recently changed his degree program to earn a Comp Sci degree in Game Development!! Lately he's been playing a lot of Warhammer, which apparently has traditional online gaming, and a "live action" version that plays like a board game with dice. He's been buying troop models and painting them. Obviously he has much better eyes than I do as these guys are all less than 2 inches tall!!
View attachment 1674957
View attachment 1674958
View attachment 1674959
Tried to use some natural sidelight from a window to be a bit more dramatic ... not sure if it worked or not!!

Ken
The lighting works well. Nice job!

View attachment 1674957
View attachment 1674958
View attachment 1674959

Ken
Those are so detailed. He has done such a good job painting them. Your photos of them are fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom