CS #726 - The Games People Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I literally dusted off the box containing this Parcheesi board so I could make the photo. It has been so long since I last played Parcheesi that I only vaguely remember some of the concepts.

Mike 2020-12-09--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Closet Games...
cs_726__DSC7942.jpg

Some are likely very familiar, some maybe not for people in the U.S.

One unusual one is Mille Bornes. A game that I learned, when taking a French class in High School. My best friend and I started playing it and would have some VERY confrontational competitive games (it is based on a road trip, when players can give their opponent flat tires, red lights, and speed restrictions, for example). Here are some of the cards...

cs_726__DSC7944.jpg

Go...

I was really into Go, when I was young, following after my oldest brother, who taught it to me (and who still plays and is very good). I started a "Go" club in High School, but, after college, I stopped playing. Recently, I started looking at the books I had, and playing a few games on an app I have. I may pick it up again, now that I have some more time.
In the previous photo, there are two boards at the bottom left (home made, small) and right (full 19x19 board) of the pile. The grey box at the front center holds the stones used in the game...

cs_726__DSC7945.jpg

cs_726__DSC7950.jpg

The black ones are a bit dusty from lack of use.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I literally dusted off the box containing this Parcheesi board so I could make the photo. It has been so long since I last played Parcheesi that I only vaguely remember some of the concepts.

View attachment 1675169
Oh my goodness @Mike Buckley this brings back so many memories. We used to play this. I have zero recollection of the rules, but remember lots of fun playing it.

Closet Games...

Lots more games (including games I've never heard of ) and lots less dust in your closet than in mine!

I used to have a customer that emptied all of her closets every spring to clean them. All the hangars were even taken off the rods so they could be dusted. We moved into our house in 1985 and no closet has ever been emptied. I subscribe to the theory that if I can't see it, it doesn't exist. Fortunately, none of our closets have a light bulb. :eek:

I remember Mille Bornes, actually. My husband, who spoke and wrote French fluently, had the game as part of his collection when we met and eventually married, and we played it a few times. We both loved Monopoly and of course Scrabble was a huge favorite...... I vaguely recall hearing about Go, but we didn't have it and didn't play it.

Go is an ancient Chinese game. The rules are very simple - objective is to gain the most territory by placing stones on a board, at the intersection of lines (full board has 19x19 lines, but can use smaller boards for shorter games). No movements of stones during the game.

Stones can be connected into a chain, vertically or horizontally. If a stone or stones in a chain are "surrounded", such that they do not have two or more intersections (called liberties or eyes), internally or externally, then they are captured and removed from the board.

At the end of the game, these captured stones are added to the areas controlled by each player to reduce the number of eyes. The winner is the one with the most eyes in the regions they control.

There is a nice handicapping system as well, so a better player can have a challenging game, against a weaker player.

Needless to say, with a 19x19 board there are many combinations of plays. In fact, it wasn't until about five years ago, when computer based Go programs could beat professional players.

For the curious... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

Some quick and lousy shots to add our stash of games to the "on a dusty shelf" collection :rolleyes:

Games191_DxO.jpg

Games192_DxO.jpg

Games193_DxO.jpg

4. On a much lower shelf, and they occasionally get dusted, and used. Also, breaking a rule on Mike's watch!) :D
Games190_DxO.jpg

Baseball
_Z504409.jpg

Football
_Z504411.jpg

Basketball
_Z504413.jpg

Softball
_Z504414.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom