CS #730 - Happy New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness 2020 is coming to a close and we can reasonably hope for a much improved 2021 at least in the last half of the year! The theme for this week's Collective Shoot is simple: anything you expect to make you happy in the new year. That's whether or not you have been able to experience those things during the pandemic. Example subjects include the following, but don't limit yourself to these ideas:
  • Friends, family and pets;
  • Objects you hope to enjoy or at least use to your advantage whether it's clothing, sports equipment, a snow blower or other maintenance equipment, or photography equipment;
  • Subjects that represent experiences you hope to enjoy, such as a hiking trail or a scene captured from a hiking trail, a restaurant, a favorite or new food or beverage;
  • Subjects about enjoying your home such as kitchen equipment, a favorite wall hanging, your favorite lounge chair (selfies are encouraged!), or anything about an upcoming remodeling, maintenance or repair project;
  • Your New Year's Eve or New Year's Day celebration;
  • Subjects having to do with a New Year's resolution;
  • Anything such as an atlas or your car indicating travel you hope to take -- finally! -- or at least plan for the following year; or
  • Subjects and scenes indicating a return to a lifestyle that is at least closer to normality.
IMPORTANT: A primary objective of the Collective Shoot program here at the Cafe is to encourage everyone to make new photos. So, all photos must be captured Thursday, December 31 through Wednesday, January 6 your local time. Feel free to post photos two or three days later that don't get post-processed until after that period ends.

Collective Shoot rules allow up to three photos per post. However, there is no limit to the number of posts you make per day.

A few example photos:

My wife and I hope to safely travel using AirBnB lodging located in rural areas within driving distance of our home. We hope to experience scenes such as this one that are different from those we see daily in our suburban and urban neighborhoods.
Mike 2012-09-08--409-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I sure do hope we get to see a full season of Major League Baseball at least on television for the first time in two years and that our Washington Nationals baseball team has a far more successful season than last season.
Mike 2016-09-10--016-S.jpg

My wife (displayed in the photo taken six months ago) and I enjoyed safely hiking during the pandemic and we plan to do more hiking in 2021.
Mike 2020-06-20--127-S.jpg

My wife and I hope to see our family and friends more often and under more normal circumstances in 2021. This photo taken four years ago is of our youngest niece and nephews.
Mike 2016-11-26--532-S.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
A snowy stroll at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR reminded how much I enjoy wandering the outdoors, even if it was within earshot of an Interstate. Having narrowly succeeded in not losing my 500 a few days earlier, I put it to use for this environmental portrait of a bison. I have high hopes of pursuing more outdoor experiences like this in 2021. While large fauna are not always to be found, it is the quest itself that brings true enjoyment.
Denver_20201230_16_162348_20C_7829.jpg

Paul, I see you are using a selfie as your avatar😁
Ha! Ha! I made a ton of avatars, using different ones for different forums. I finally grouped them into seasonal ones and have a bunch for Winter. Switched to the Santa ceramic, but will probably switch out soon to another (I need to get a New Years themed one!)

A snowy stroll at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR reminded how much I enjoy wandering the outdoors, even if it was within earshot of an Interstate. Having narrowly succeeded in not losing my 500 a few days earlier, I put it to use for this environmental portrait of a bison. I have high hopes of pursuing more outdoor experiences like this in 2021. While large fauna are not always to be found, it is the quest itself that brings true enjoyment.
View attachment 1676505
Wonderful shot with great browns and contrast. Sounds like a super way to enjoy photography for the upcoming year. Looking forward to seeing more!

Real Name
Phil
Happy New Year everyone!

Every year for the past 20 years, group of friends would gather at The Peninsula on New Year's Eve for a countdown party. This year because of COVID dining restrictions, we had to end the dinner at 6pm. Yet we still had lots of fun and wishing everyone a better 2021, with lots of alcohol of course.
IMG_8433a.jpg

I woke up at 6 on New Year's Day and went biking, enjoying the early morning breeze(7ºC, 44ºF) and the warmth of the rising sun. It's a great start of a new year. Weather is fine, sky is bright, and we will have a better and brighter year.
IMG_8466a.jpg

Photos were taken with iPhone so please excuse me for the quality.

Last edited:
View attachment 1676505
The colors are gorgeous!

Happy New Year everyone!

Every year for the past 20 years, group of friends would gather at The Peninsula on New Year's Eve for a countdown party. This year because of COVID dining restrictions, we had to end the dinner at 6pm. Yet we still had lots of fun and wishing everyone a better 2021, with lots of alcohol of course.
View attachment 1676539

I woke up at 6 on New Year's Day and went biking, enjoying the early morning breeze(7ºC, 44ºF) and the warmth of the rising sun. It's a great start of a new year. Weather is fine, sky is bright, and we will have a better and brighter year.
View attachment 1676540

Photos were taken with iPhone so please excuse me for the quality.
Happy New Year, Phil!

When it comes to the category of "wants" (as opposed to needs), nothing makes me happier than playing classical music for solo piano. Nobody would ever pay to hear me play but a few people have been gracious enough to put up with listening to me.

My first activity of this New Year was playing Schumann's Traumerei, which is the music on the left page and is the only one of my three favorite, short pieces for solo piano that I'm able to play. The piano was tuned just last week, one of its keys was repaired, and I played the piece as well as I can play it. So, at least on this first morning of the New Year, all is well in my tiny corner of the world.

Mike 2021-01-01--0001-S.jpg

Last edited:
When it comes to the category of "wants" (as opposed to needs), nothing makes me happier than playing classical music for solo piano. Nobody would ever pay to hear me play but a few people have been gracious enough to put up with hearing me.

My first activity of this New Year was playing Schumann's Traumerei, which is the music on the left page and is the only one of my three favorite pieces for solo piano that I'm able to play. The piano was tuned just last week, one of its keys was repaired, and I played the piece as well as I can play it. So, at least on this first morning of the New Year, all is well in my tiny corner of the world.

View attachment 1676556
Wonderful shot and it looks like a pretty complicated piece. I'm only skilled at chop sticks. :)

Real Name
Bill Walderman
When it comes to the category of "wants" (as opposed to needs), nothing makes me happier than playing classical music for solo piano. Nobody would ever pay to hear me play but a few people have been gracious enough to put up with listening to me.

My first activity of this New Year was playing Schumann's Traumerei, which is the music on the left page and is the only one of my three favorite, short pieces for solo piano that I'm able to play. The piano was tuned just last week, one of its keys was repaired, and I played the piece as well as I can play it. So, at least on this first morning of the New Year, all is well in my tiny corner of the world.

View attachment 1676556
I know exactly what you mean, Mike. It's one thing to listen passively to music played by someone else; it's quite another to experience music by actively playing it yourself, even if, as in my case, you aren't up to doing the music full justice: a more intense and in many ways more fulfilling experience.

Perfect image for B&W! Shot with your usual meticulous care.

Last edited:

That's the great thing about music, you don't have to be good enough to perform, you just have to love what you are playing.

My wife and I have been doing Zoom sessions for six months because they add considerable happiness to our lives during the pandemic. My wife always sets them up. This time, for our annual New Year's lunch with friends, I made the mistake of jokingly asking if I should bring in some lights and stands from my makeshift studio. It doesn't take much imagination to realize what my contribution to future Zoom session setups will be from now on.

Mike 2021-01-01--0003-S.jpg

Last edited:
If I had my way, you wouldn't ever light those candles again.
Good idea. Here's to a Happy 2021
_DSC1024.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom