CS #730 - Happy New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go!
cs_730__DSC8105.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In a prior CS about games, I had dug out my Go pieces and mentioned that game. Well, it got me thinking about how much fun and challenge there was in playing the game, so I decided that I'd commit some time this year to re-learning and playing the game.

I grabbed the only book I had on Go, read it, and have been starting to play (computer opponents so far). The book is really dense, and one way for me to better understand is to follow along with the example game they have (astute readers may notice that I have more pieces laid down than what is shown in the book - that's because I'm on the next page which has another twenty plus plays.

I've ordered a few more books on the game (they are hard to find and expensive - for paperbacks), but I think it is a worth a go.

My oldest brother, who has been playing forever and is a very good player, runs a club in Colorado. They meet weekly online, on a Go server to play, and I'm thinking of joining them (trying to get up the nerve and build my skills, so I'm not too embarrassed).

Go!
View attachment 1676830
In a prior CS about games, I had dug out my Go pieces and mentioned that game. Well, it got me thinking about how much fun and challenge there was in playing the game, so I decided that I'd commit some time this year to re-learning and playing the game.

I grabbed the only book I had on Go, read it, and have been starting to play (computer opponents so far). The book is really dense, and one way for me to better understand is to follow along with the example game they have (astute readers may notice that I have more pieces laid down than what is shown in the book - that's because I'm on the next page which has another twenty plus plays.

I've ordered a few more books on the game (they are hard to find and expensive - for paperbacks), but I think it is a worth a go.

My oldest brother, who has been playing forever and is a very good player, runs a club in Colorado. They meet weekly online, on a Go server to play, and I'm thinking of joining them (trying to get up the nerve and build my skills, so I'm not too embarrassed).
Great! I can't (really) play this game, but we often discussed it (and riddles about stones, lines on the board) in the office, as a former co-worker is a very good player.

• ... family ...
  • Objects you hope to enjoy ...
  • ...celebration

20210106_065744.jpg

Eating this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake

(these cakes are eaten everywhere, here, without people thinking of a religious background... We do the same and just eat the cake. Local (Swiss) variant: one little king in one of the pieces)

A big FAN
2021_01_04__DSC8096.jpg

Theo staring at the ceiling fan in in our bedroom.

Theo has a thing for lights and light switches. The first time he sees that a switch controls a light or fan, he instantly remembers it. Then, when he enters EVERY room, he points and says "up", so that we lift him up so he can turn on every known light/fan in the room.

My mom made the mistake of showing him that a switch he was pointing to, turns on a closet light, and now, when he enters her room, he wants that turned on, along with the ceiling light, desk lights, etc.:facepalm:

View attachment 1676832

Eating this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake

(these cakes are eaten everywhere, here, without people thinking of a religious background... We do the same and just eat the cake. Local (Swiss) variant: one little king in one of the pieces)
What a wonderful shot and a very interesting story. I'd never heard of King Cake, so it was cool to read about it. I also smiled about the crown. It brought back fond memories of when my daughter was little and for her birthday, she wanted to got to Burger King, where they would give you a paper crown on your birthday. She would skip around singing "I'm the birthday queen!". I don't think she even cared for hamburgers, and probably only ate the fries, but that is what he wanted...

I can enjoy views like this all year long...
2021_01_04__DSC8099.jpg

The hyacinths and tulips are fading, but the amaryllis is going out in a blaze of glory.

_JZ65017.jpg

_JZ65019.jpg

My handyman built the foundation for the shed today. I'll help him assemble the shed tomorrow.

Mike 2021-01-06--0001-S.jpg

Last edited:
NEW YEARS PROJECTS
This is my attempt to organize my living room a bit more.
Just got the cheapo equipment stand for the stereo. It was all just stacked up on each other.
(Just for background music...the systems in the Master Bedroom and even the Study put this to shame)

IMG_0137-edit.jpg

Not even a full res pic from my iPhone.
I promise not to post anymore of these this year...for now!

NEW YEARS PROJECTS
This is my attempt to organize my living room a bit more.
Just got the cheapo equipment stand for the stereo. It was all just stacked up on each other.
(Just for background music...the systems in the Master Bedroom and even the Study put this to shame)

View attachment 1676844

Not even a full res pic from my iPhone.
I promise not to post anymore of these this year...for now!

A very nice looking stand.

Wow! 50+1 CDs noted on the player. I'm jealous. My ancient Sony 5 disk carousel finally died. When I open the drawer, it would immediately try to close, made all sorts of ruckus when playing, and would skip from disk to disk, even when in continuous play mode. I guess 30+ years is too much to ask. :)

For now, I have to listen to ripped versions of the disks that I have. I did that years ago, with meg format using 384 kbps sampling rate. Now, there is FLAC and other formats, but I'm not going through all my disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom