CS #731 - Negative Space

Certainly not the purest example of negative space
I disagree; for me, this photo is indeed a pure example of negative space. Well done!

there are two expanses of negative space: one being the smooth, darkened sky and the other is the textured and slightly darker water.
We all "see" photos differently and there are no right or wrong ways to "see" them. For me, the sky is a beautiful use of negative space and the water is a beautiful use of bright reflections. I don't "see" the dark areas of the water as negative spaces but my opinion about that has absolutely no impact on my thinking about the quality of your very nice photo.

I stopped by Jupiter Inlet after sunset this evening in hopes of creating an image worthy of this week's theme. Certainly not the purest example of negative space, but my thinking was that the subject was light sources with their reflections and that there are two expanses of negative space: one being the smooth, darkened sky and the other is the textured and slightly darker water.
View attachment 1677182
Well done Andy!

Bank Account shows negative space after paying bills this month....

DSC_0005.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
For me, the sky is a beautiful use of negative space and the water is a beautiful use of bright reflections. I don't "see" the dark areas of the water as negative spaces
Very instructive. This CS, and especially your comments on many of the photos, has really helped me understand negative space much better than I did last week!

I left the process of setting up a tabletop photo of a head of garlic to write this post. I stopped what I was doing because, while composing the scene in the frame, I realized that
perhaps some people think at least as demonstrated by most of the photos posted in this thread, that the negative space needs to be a relatively large portion of the scene.

Just the opposite, the size of the negative space can be much smaller than the size of the subject. As an example, return to the very first post in the thread and imagine Lyndee's wonderful photo with the subject as is but displayed within the context of a square format. If she had used a square format, the size of the negative space would have been about half of its current size. Yet the function of that smaller negative space would have been equally effective, albeit in a different (not better or worse) way.

Real Name
Andy
For me, the challenge in creating photographs with strong negative space has been to compose in a way where the eye does not get drawn out of the frame. I suppose there needs to be a balance between how the subject interacts/competes with the negative space. I should have paid more attention in art class!

For me, the challenge in creating photographs with strong negative space has been to compose in a way where the eye does not get drawn out of the frame.
One simple way to ensure that they eye isn't drawn out of the frame is to make the negative space at least a little darker than the subject. Our eye tends to gravitate to the brightest parts of an image, so even if the brightest parts are very small, consider making sure they are in the subject.

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Happy Birthday, Lyndee! How many times is this your 29th birthday? What shoes are you wearing to celebrate? :ROFLMAO: By the way, nice photo!
Thank you, and house slippers are on today, LOL!! :ROFLMAO:

And I'll have you know that it's my 39th birthday...

(...at least that's the story I'm sticking, to...) :D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom