CS #737 - DOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samples ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Will extremely large DOF be acceptable?
N.. n.. n.. n.. ... No, Jim. That's you cheaters again who want to extend DoF by software... Pfff pfff...get the expensive glass out and go for shallow! Finally we don't want to end up looking at yet another bunch of fungi!"

Joking aside: I'd understand it as "use of DoF" - so it's about how to decide consciously, creatively, on what DoF to finally use. All while trying out different settings for the same object and perspective, and playing around, and learning. Your macros are welcome. Fungi are too, if you can find some these days... ;)

N.. n.. n.. n.. ... No, Jim. That's you cheaters again who want to extend DoF by software... Pfff pfff...get the expensive glass out and go for shallow! Finally we don't want to end up looking at yet another bunch of fungi!"

Joking aside: I'd understand it as "use of DoF" - so it's about how to decide consciously, creatively, on what DoF to finally use. All while trying out different settings for the same object and perspective, and playing around, and learning. Your macros are welcome. Fungi are too, if you can find some these days... ;)
I'm so glad you added that the first part was joking!! I love Jim's fungi photos! But I take it you are saying no focus stacking to increase dof?

PS....this will give me a good excuse to use my new 85 f1.8 S lens!!

I'm so glad you added that the first part was joking!! I love Jim's fungi photos! But I take it you are saying no focus stacking to increase dof?

PS....this will give me a good excuse to use my new 85 f1.8 S lens!!
Of course I was making fun. I love his photos.

And I did not want to make a statement about stacking, it's just another way to get the DoF into the image. That was just part of the joke, nothing more.

It's up to West to decide on whether he wants to rule this point, at all. By no means I have the right to say anything pro or against!

But I take it you are saying no focus stacking to increase dof?
Nah, his post was too funny for me to believe that. I can't believe anyone would say that. It would be like carrying a bag of tools to the construction site and being told that one of them simply isn't allowed because it accomplishes the task at hand too easily.

It's up to West to decide on whether he wants to rule this point, at all.
The only rule is your interpretation of the rule, although I'm not aware of any personal rules while contemplating rules for this week's CS :borg: ... you rule
* It should be noted that if the rule is deliberately broken then we will enact a rule to deal with the rule breaker.

Last edited:
Playing with DOF, a particular lens of choice and one's subject is half the fun of photography! :). IMO getting into focus-stacking and whatnot is a whole different realm but yeah, in the end it does still involve DOF......

For me, it's simple -- no focus-stacking -- as I haven't learned how to do that yet and haven't put the time into really figuring out how it all works, anyway. As far as I'm concerned, there's still plenty of opportunity to explore DOF with the lenses I have, and to learn from the experience as I go along.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom