CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all of you, I have a renewed interest in black and white photos. Many of you have been helping me learn how to convert my color photos to compelling black and white images. This week let’s share new black and white images. Shoot them in your camera in black and white or convert them later. I’m not going to share any personal examples because you all know what a black and white image is. Subject matter is up to you. There are several amazing examples on the home page of the cafe. The only rules are to shoot something new and have fun!

EDIT: Mike Buckley had a nice suggestion. “It would be fun if people would explain why they chose to convert to monochrome and whether they made that decision before or after releasing the shutter. Maybe I can even convince Terri to add that idea to the first post of the thread.”

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
I took this photo just this afternoon in Great Falls National Park and converted a few moments ago before I saw the new CS post. Is it within the time frame? If not, I'll delete. It's an example of covering up for poor light with B&W. I used LR CC to convert. I prefer the B&W color mixer to the color filters of SEP for B&W landscapes.

_WJW0307.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I shot a few images earlier today and converted them to B&W earlier this evening, probably missing the deadline.....but I'm sure that over the next few days of this week I will have more opportunities to do more shooting and more B&W conversions!

Bill, wasn't today's weather just wonderful?!!!!! I'm hoping that from here on we'll continue this trend towards milder temperatures rather than the cold/wet/snowy/icy stuff we've been experiencing throughout February. Although it was warmer this afternoon than we've had in a while, I'll admit that I wasn't quite ready to break out a tank top and shorts just yet! :D

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Bill, wasn't today's weather just wonderful?!!!!! I'm hoping that from here on we'll continue this trend towards milder temperatures rather than the cold/wet/snowy/icy stuff we've been experiencing throughout February. Although it was warmer this afternoon than we've had in a while, I'll admit that I wasn't quite ready to break out a tank top and shorts just yet! :D

Yes, it was wonderful after the Stygian gloom of the previous weeks.

I took this photo just this afternoon in Great Falls National Park and converted a few moments ago before I saw the new CS post. Is it within the time frame? If not, I'll delete.

View attachment 1679336
It's wonderful. I don't have a problem with you starting tonight if West doesn't mind. I'm glad you are getting things started. I've never heard of Great Falls National Park. I guess I better check it out.

I shot a few images earlier today and converted them to B&W earlier this evening, probably missing the deadline.....but I'm sure that over the next few days of this week I will have more opportunities to do more shooting and more B&W conversions!

If you want to share the ones you took today, I won't tell!!

It's amazing how gloomy, dreary, cold, wet, icky weather can affect one's mood.....Today was such a delight when I got out on the deck and watched and photographed my feathered friends (geese and Hooded Mergansers) enjoying the nice day, too. They were frolicking around in the water, with lots of wing flapping, head-submerging and re-emerging, ducking in-and-out of the water, excited honking, and....yes, even the curious gazes of a Male Hooded Merganser and a Female Hooded Merganser thoughtfully regarding each other as they briefly found themselves swimming alongside each other. I could almost hear their conversation: "Hi, have we met before?" LOL! Spring was sure as heck in the air today......!!!

I started in B&W in college and have started digitizing some of the slides and strips. This was actually from a slide taken in 1976 probably with the FE that I had at the time. Converting into B&W in LrC:

DSC_2625-Edit-2.jpg

I started in B&W in college and have started digitizing some of the slides and strips. This was actually from a slide taken in 1976 probably with the FE that I had at the time. Converting into B&W in LrC:

View attachment 1679337
The exif below the photo says it was take with a Z6. Do you use the Z6 to help you digitize the slide? It's a beautiful shot and perfect for B&W.

OK, a couple:

Even though it looked as though the ice on the lake had melted for the most part, interestingly, there were some places where it apparently had not. This guy was just coming up from having submerged himself and I was surprised to see what looked to me like ice on his back:

Ice On His Back?.jpeg

"Hi, I don't think we've met before....." (Notice how the circles of their respective water pathways have also interlinked.....). Is this a budding romance or what?!!! :D

Hello, I Don't Think We've Met Before.jpeg

The exif below the photo says it was take with a Z6. Do you use the Z6 to help you digitize the slide? It's a beautiful shot and perfect for B&W.
Yes. For years I've been thinking about getting the Nikon ES-2 slide/negative attachment. B&H had been out of stock for at least 6 months and when it showed up I just grabbed one. I have several hundred slides and probably a couple thousand negatives that I'm working though.

OK, a couple:

Even though it looked as though the ice on the lake had melted for the most part, interestingly, there were some places where it apparently had not. This guy was just coming up from having submerged himself and I was surprised to see what looked to me like ice on his back:

View attachment 1679338

"Hi, I don't think we've met before....." (Notice how the circles of their respective water pathways have also interlinked.....). Is this a budding romance or what?!!! :D

View attachment 1679339
That ice on the back is so interesting. These are fun shots, Connie!

Yes. For years I've been thinking about getting the Nikon ES-2 slide/negative attachment. B&H had been out of stock for at least 6 months and when it showed up I just grabbed one. I have several hundred slides and probably a couple thousand negatives that I'm working though.
Looks like it works really well. I can see why you wanted it!

Real Name
Phil
I took this photo earlier today(Thursday afternoon my time) before I saw the CS. With the 3 cross harbour tunnels and underground linking Hong Kong Island to the Kowloon Peninsula, we seldom take ferry to cross the harbour. Today I was quite free and after taking a walk along the harbour broad walk, I decided to take a ferry. It was right after rain and still quite cloudy. This is our cruise terminal, which sadly is not in use for almost a year.

M1000200a.jpg

I took this photo earlier today(Thursday afternoon my time) before I saw the CS. With the 3 cross harbour tunnels and underground linking Hong Kong Island to the Kowloon Peninsula, we seldom take ferry to cross the harbour. Today I was quite free and after taking a walk along the harbour broad walk, I decided to take a ferry. It was right after rain and still quite cloudy. This is our cruise terminal, which sadly is not in use for almost a year.

View attachment 1679340
I’m so glad you took the ferry so we could see this beautiful building. You did a good job of getting some detail out of those cloudy skies.

Thanks to all of you, I have a renewed interest in black and white photos. Many of you have been helping me learn how to convert my color photos to compelling black and white images. This week let’s share new black and white images. Shoot them in your camera in black and white or convert them later. I’m not going to share any personal examples because you all know what a black and white image is. Subject matter is up to you. There are several amazing examples on the home page of the cafe. The only rules are to shoot something new and have fun!
Looks like a fun theme. I do need to learn how to convert to B&W (other than clicking on the B&W checkbox in CaptureOne). I haven't tried any profile or specific tools to convert.

If anyone has pointers to articles on converting, please let me know. I really like B&W, so it would be nice to learn how to convert better.

Looks like a fun theme. I do need to learn how to convert to B&W (other than clicking on the B&W checkbox in CaptureOne). I haven't tried any profile or specific tools to convert.

If anyone has pointers to articles on converting, please let me know. I really like B&W, so it would be nice to learn how to convert better.
I am not familiar with capture one. Earlier when I was starting to experiment some of the cafe members suggested I try Silver Effex Pro which is part of the Nik collection. I downloaded a trial version, then watched some YouTube tutorials. I liked it so much that I purchased it! I hope you are able to find a way to give it a try. It’s fun. Maybe someone will have experience converting in Capture One and can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom