CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Bill Walderman
_WJW0395-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

8. Cobblestones on lower Prince Street in Alexandria. Don't drive on them.
_WJW0392.jpg

_WJW0371-2.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems like I'm not the only one having fun playing with black and white photography. I've never been a huge fan of it on my own photos (although I love to view your black and white photography) but it is growing on me!! Your submissions to the CS have all been so much fun to view. I'm so impressed with the level of participation.

I feel a bit more confident in my ability to convert with all the practice I've had the past week. I hope you all have fun for the remaining three days of the challenge.

I'm sure I'll be back to 99% color shooting in a few days. But I'll be much more aware of the possibilities of black and white when I am out shooting.

We had a Ninja Basketball Player stop by our house tonight. He even wanted me to take some photos of him. Six year old boys are so cute!! The thing around his neck isn't a scarf, it's a mask. Silly, grandma, all Ninja's have masks!!

_DSC7688-Edit-Edit.jpg
_DSC7689-Edit-Edit.jpg

Real Name
Bill Walderman
It seems like I'm not the only one having fun playing with black and white photography. I've never been a huge fan of it on my own photos (although I love to view your black and white photography) but it is growing on me!! Your submissions to the CS have all been so much fun to view. I'm so impressed with the level of participation.

I feel a bit more confident in my ability to convert with all the practice I've had the past week. I hope you all have fun for the remaining three days of the challenge.

I'm sure I'll be back to 99% color shooting in a few days. But I'll be much more aware of the possibilities of black and white when I am out shooting.

We had a Ninja Basketball Player stop by our house tonight. He even wanted me to take some photos of him. Six year old boys are so cute!! The thing around his neck isn't a scarf, it's a mask. Silly, grandma, all Ninja's have masks!!

View attachment 1679627 View attachment 1679628

This kid and your grandkids show off your talent for B&W photos of children. Wonderful!

Real Name
Phil
Murray House was built in 1846 in Central as officers' quarter of the Murray Barrack. During WWII, it became the command centre of Japanese Military Police. After the war it became an office of the government. It was believed to be haunted because it was an execution site during the war, and tram drivers used to pass it at top speed at night. In the 80's, it was dismantled and the Bank of China Tower was built on that site. Each brick and stone was labelled and numbered and the whole house was rebuilt in the seaside town Stanley. The New Murray House was opened in 2002 and now is a commercial building with shops and restaurants.

I took an evening walk in Stanley today. It was quiet because of the pandemic.

M1000205.jpg

Murray House was built in 1846 in Central as officers' quarter of the Murray Barrack. During WWII, it became the command centre of Japanese Military Police. After the war it became an office of the government. It was believed to be haunted because it was an execution site during the war, and tram drivers used to pass it at top speed at night. In the 80's, it was dismantled and the Bank of China Tower was built on that site. Each brick and stone was labelled and numbered and the whole house was rebuilt in the seaside town Stanley. The New Murray House was opened in 2002 and now is a commercial building with shops and restaurants.

View attachment 1679636
Interesting history of the building. I'm glad it has a happier use now. This one was a good candidate for black and white. The street lights and interior lighting make it fun to look at. I love how you can see details inside the building. You did an excellent job keeping detail throughout the photo. Even on the dark right side you can still see some detail. I like that you didn't bring out more of the clouds. That would have competed with the center of interest. The people add a lot to the photo as well.

Real Name
Bill Walderman

View attachment 1679636
The human silhouettes make this not just a good image but an outstanding one with an enigmatic story to tell or to leave us guessing.

I've certainly been enjoying this thread, and these wonderful B&W images! I especially love seeing the photos of Alexandria -- I really need to get back down there some day! I love seeing photos from Hong Kong, too, an area I'll never see in person -- and Phil, you and that Leica Q2 Mono camera make a perfect combination! Fantastic camera and in the hands of someone who knows how to get the best from it!

Real Name
Bill
Water Spirit Woman.
One of the many fine petroglyphs in Torrey Valley over looking the Ramshorn.

WSW and Ramshorn BW.jpg

Real Name
Andy
This juvenile Ibis was grazing mostly in the shade. When he stepped into the sun which cast a long shadow, it looked like a good opportunity for a black and white image.
Lake_Lytal_21D_0850.jpg

Yes, mountains are 'traditional' B&W picture subjects, as many good examples in this thread have shown.

Z07_2573~01.jpg

BTW, this is the the skiing school's area, empty in the evening - but of course not crowded during the day, these times.

Evening light, twice

Z07_2598~01.jpg

Z07_2599~01.jpg

Real Name
Mike
Interesting foot wear additions in the first pic. What are they for? I don't envy the guys in the second pic.
If you've ever stepped into wet mud, cement, or plaster and walked away w/ 3 lbs of material stuck on your shoes you'll understand the need for elevated spikes so you don'e pick up material on your boots.

Portrait?

She was a bit afraid of this thing, after a year, but it went well ;) Very good first day at school, she's really looking forward to some more.

Z07_2574~01.jpg

The ramp - bad 'enemy' the last years - now literally child's play

Z07_2553~01.jpg

ROFL - coolio watchin'

Z07_2552~01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom