CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
What software did you settle on to convert your images? You've got some fun ones. I especially like the marbles. You spot different kinds of differences in them than you would if they were color. The different one is some sort of nut.
I'm using CaptureOne that I use for normal processing. I found some articles on how to do the conversion, some specific to C1, some general.

We had a most glorious day. The storm from yesterday cleared out and we took off to go snowshoeing in Grand Teton National Park. Before we got into the park we decided to see if we could find any bighorn sheep in the elk refuge. The sheep were there, but too far away for us to see well or photograph. As we headed back into town, I spotted this mountain that I thought might be a good candidate for black and white photography. The textures in the snow and sky were interesting. This conversion is definitely not reality, but I had fun trying to make it look dramatic. Below it are a couple from the hike up toward Taggart Lake. I like the color versions better from the hike, but am sharing the black and white in this shoot.

View attachment 1679571

View attachment 1679572 View attachment 1679573
Very nice set. I really like the first one the best.

Grado Refrence Series wood cartridge the Sonata 1 on the VPI ... Stylus brush below ...little fuzzy as there is some dust in the cabinet.

Z7 and the 60mm @1/100 f4.5 asnd Iso 2000

Z71_1633-BW.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It seems like I'm not the only one having fun playing with black and white photography. I've never been a huge fan of it on my own photos (although I love to view your black and white photography) but it is growing on me!! Your submissions to the CS have all been so much fun to view. I'm so impressed with the level of participation.

I feel a bit more confident in my ability to convert with all the practice I've had the past week. I hope you all have fun for the remaining three days of the challenge.

I'm sure I'll be back to 99% color shooting in a few days. But I'll be much more aware of the possibilities of black and white when I am out shooting.

We had a Ninja Basketball Player stop by our house tonight. He even wanted me to take some photos of him. Six year old boys are so cute!! The thing around his neck isn't a scarf, it's a mask. Silly, grandma, all Ninja's have masks!!

View attachment 1679627 View attachment 1679628
Lucky you, Terri, to have such a good-looking photo subject at hand! I hope to be visiting my 1st grandson - with my camera! - soon after my 2nd vaccine shot.

Murray House was built in 1846 in Central as officers' quarter of the Murray Barrack. During WWII, it became the command centre of Japanese Military Police. After the war it became an office of the government. It was believed to be haunted because it was an execution site during the war, and tram drivers used to pass it at top speed at night. In the 80's, it was dismantled and the Bank of China Tower was built on that site. Each brick and stone was labelled and numbered and the whole house was rebuilt in the seaside town Stanley. The New Murray House was opened in 2002 and now is a commercial building with shops and restaurants.

I took an evening walk in Stanley today. It was quiet because of the pandemic.

View attachment 1679636
Beautiful photo, Phil, and an interesting history to go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom