CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Phil
Interesting history of the building. I'm glad it has a happier use now. This one was a good candidate for black and white. The street lights and interior lighting make it fun to look at. I love how you can see details inside the building. You did an excellent job keeping detail throughout the photo. Even on the dark right side you can still see some detail. I like that you didn't bring out more of the clouds. That would have competed with the center of interest. The people add a lot to the photo as well.
Thank you Terri. It was a very nice evening walk there and the fading nature light plus the interior light made a very good scene for me.

@Phil K -- Fascinating narrative about the building and nice photo. Are the lights on the guard rails yearround or just for the New Year?
Thank you Mike. I think it's for the Chinese New Year as I remember I didn't see the lights when I was there last time.

The human silhouettes make this not just a good image but an outstanding one with an enigmatic story to tell or to leave us guessing.
Thank you very much. I noted the 2 people outside the building and thought it would add to the image.

I've certainly been enjoying this thread, and these wonderful B&W images! I especially love seeing the photos of Alexandria -- I really need to get back down there some day! I love seeing photos from Hong Kong, too, an area I'll never see in person -- and Phil, you and that Leica Q2 Mono camera make a perfect combination! Fantastic camera and in the hands of someone who knows how to get the best from it!
Thank you Connie. This camera is a great street camera and I am carrying it with me almost every time I go out.

Beautiful photo, Phil, and an interesting history to go along with it.
Thank you very much Eric.

Wow! Beautiful photo of some high-end audiophile gear. I had to look it up.;)

Thank you..it’s been a fun journey that I’ve been chasing almost as long as photography.

Excellent B/W image of a very fine TT and cartridge.

Thanks...tried to bring out the wood grain with small led penlight.

I had to look up what this is. It's a beautiful photo. I'm certainly not an audiophile, but I would love to hear something played on this equipment.
Thanks Terri...it’s what I use if I really want to sit and listen to music rather than having it playing in the background.

K & E
cs_738__DSC8318.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

cs_738__DSC8323.jpg

WW II
cs_738__DSC8322.jpg

My mom gave me one of my dad's scrapbooks with photos and papers from the war. He served in the Pacific on an aircraft carrier. He's kneeling on the right of the photo.

I started up my laptop to do some editing, instead of just using in camera processing and snap brige. Which would not be all too bad, by the way, given Nikon allows to re-process the RAW with different adjustments and transfers then, via WiFi.

Anyway - this time, it is Capture One processing. I am not that happy with the experience on the laptop. Screen isn't big enough to judge all that detail, and brightness levels especially important in a B&W image. Way more pleasing to work at home on my Eizo 27...

When opening the RAW, it shows colored, as C1 ignores the Nijon picture profile. But it allows for advanced setting on how the color channels are processed to B&W.

All shot with B&W intention.

Three trees (these would stand out more in color. And during spring...)

2021-03-02_gw_02.jpg

Wetterhorn

2021-03-02_gw_03.jpg

Mayla

2021-03-02_gw_01.jpg

A big thanks to him and all who served. I lost two Uncles in that war...never even got to meet them.
Very inspirational photo, Paul!! You are really getting along well with Black and White photos!!
Yeah, it's been an interesting few days... we've been trying to "declutter" our house in preparations to go house hunting and then selling our house (looking for something more 'retirement' friendly).

So... I've been going through my old stuff, finding old letters and photos from friends, resumes and work records, High School memorabilia, previous home photos, and the like. Brings back lots of memories.

Today, I was helping my mom go through her stuff. Lots of records and things of my dad's from birth certificate (he didn't have one and needed one to go into service for the war and got a "delayed" one), school records, military service, family name change records, and funeral stuff.

I've been scanning some of the papers to preserve the history.

Yeah, it's been an interesting few days... we've been trying to "declutter" our house in preparations to go house hunting and then selling our house (looking for something more 'retirement' friendly).

So... I've been going through my old stuff, finding old letters and photos from friends, resumes and work records, High School memorabilia, previous home photos, and the like. Brings back lots of memories.

Today, I was helping my mom go through her stuff. Lots of records and things of my dad's from birth certificate (he didn't have one and needed one to go into service for the war and got a "delayed" one), school records, military service, family name change records, and funeral stuff.

I've been scanning some of the papers to preserve the history.

I have discharge papers for my Grandfather on my mothers side. He went into the 1st US Calvary as Lindstrom (fresh from Sweden) in 1903 and was honorably discharged in 1904 under the name of Raymond...he had his surname changed to fit in better. Raymond is also my middle name. Family history can be quite inspiring.

Hey, buddy - I once had one of those too! Wish I'd kept it!
Unfortunately, the pieces on the side are starting to crumble, after all these years (I’ve had it for overs 40 years). I actually used it in high school a bit... had an A.P. Calculus teacher that was fond of them and he showed me how to use it. Amazing to think they were used all the time, now that e we have calculators.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
_WJW0414-3.jpg

_WJW0428-5.jpg

_WJW0405-5.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom