CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Last edited:
The first is evocative; the crow is really outstanding. We've been seeing an explosion of the crow population here in Northern Virginia -- they seem to be where they were in the 1990s, before West Nile Virus struck and decimated them.

Thanks Bill. The crow and its mate are in or around that tree daily so their nest must be close. Never a shortage of crows around here at lambing time.

Last evening in this CS, and I haven't taken any good enough shots today to now sit down and process.

Enjoyable day, it was, with Luca's first real try on skis :)

Relaxing on the sofa, hmm... I'll take this:

Z07_2678~01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In camera raw processing, slightly altered compared to the first, original take (adjusted exposure and Active Lighting), snap bridge to mobile, very minor crop at the bottom (about 1/3 of the table's thickness, to cut it off at 1/3 instead of 2/3)

Oh, I'll try a special last entry:
Taken with, and transferred via, phone, by my wife. Edited from screenshot using my phone. No pre-defined filter, but de-saturated and played around with the sliders to taste.

First ascent ;)

Screenshot_20210303-211317_Signal.jpg

Real Name
Bill Walderman
One more set, and I'll shut up. Thank you, Terri, for hosting!
_WJW0465.jpg

2. Graveyards make good subjects for B&W.
_WJW0456.jpg

3. And this is the end.
_WJW0454.jpg

I spent some time this afternoon and early evening playing around at home with my gear. These aren't great, but will be my final submissions to this challenge. I really pushed the processing with these.....just experimenting. It's fun to play around and see all the different looks you can make.

Next time I photograph this dog I will be sure to stop my lens down more. This is my daughter's new puppy. He's such a funny little guy.

_DSC7708-Edit.jpg

Playing around with selective DOF and high key converting.
_DSC7857-Edit.jpg

Thank you everyone for all your contributions. I know that I learned a lot this week. I have gained a much greater appreciation for black and white photos and know that I will be thinking more about monochrome as I go out and shoot. It will be fun to look for new opportunities. Some of you really took advantage of the challenge to go out and get some great photos. Congratulations to those who took this as a new opportunity to learn. Now on to the next Collective Shoot. It sure is fun being friends with all of you!!

Real Name
Andy
Thank you everyone for all your contributions. I know that I learned a lot this week. I have gained a much greater appreciation for black and white photos and know that I will be thinking more about monochrome as I go out and shoot. It will be fun to look for new opportunities. Some of you really took advantage of the challenge to go out and get some great photos. Congratulations to those who took this as a new opportunity to learn. Now on to the next Collective Shoot. It sure is fun being friends with all of you!!
Great job conceiving and hosting this CS, Terri!

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Most books on photographic technique, in my experience, aren't very helpful. But I found Black and White Photography, by Michael Freeman (and a few others by the same author) very valuable. It's hard to find -- Amazon doesn't seem to carry it -- and quite expensive for a paperback. But if you are interested, I highly recommend it.

Black and White Photography

Most books on photographic technique, in my experience, aren't very helpful. But I found Black and White Photography, by Michael Freeman (and a few others by the same author) very valuable. It's hard to find -- Amazon doesn't seem to carry it -- and quite expensive for a paperback. But if you are interested, I highly recommend it.

Black and White Photography
Good to know. I've had that on my wish list of books to get someday. Sounds like it will be a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom