CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Bill Walderman
OK, a couple:

Even though it looked as though the ice on the lake had melted for the most part, interestingly, there were some places where it apparently had not. This guy was just coming up from having submerged himself and I was surprised to see what looked to me like ice on his back:

View attachment 1679338

"Hi, I don't think we've met before....." (Notice how the circles of their respective water pathways have also interlinked.....). Is this a budding romance or what?!!! :D

View attachment 1679339

The patterns of the birds' plumage lend themseves very well to B&W:

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I don't use Lightroom but I use Adobe Camera Raw, which has the same engine. I don't see any way to use the B&W Color Mixer to make a monochrome image that isn't toned. Does Lightroom's color mixer have a way of making it happen?
I don't use the B&W color mixer to perform the initial conversion: there's a drop-down "Profile" menu for that. But then I use the mixer to adjust the B&W tonalities of the original colors. And I use the new color wheels for highlights, shadows and midtones to add toning. The photo I posted above is slightly warm-toned.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
It would be fun if people would explain why they chose to convert to monochrome and whether they made that decision before or after releasing the shutter. Maybe I can even convince Terri to add that idea to the first post of the thread.

When I got to Great Falls yesterday afternoon, I decided that I would take some color photos and convert them to B&W specifically because time of year is less colorful and I like monochrome photography in general. The photo I posted above is one of a number I took and converted, before I saw the new CS topic. So I was looking for B&W opportunities on my walk. This was the only one that I thought was interesting enough to post here; I posted the others on Flickr but left them private.

I usually convert rather than shooting B&W because that offers more opportunities for processing with the color mixer.

Last edited:
I learned photography with B&W as one of two photographers for the college yearbook. I had access to all the film, paper, and chemicals I wanted - mostly tri-x, pan-x, and Ilford so I really learned to 'see' in B&W. Even when I shot slides (mostly when I traveled), when I look back at them now it is pretty obvious that I was still shooting B&W, just with color slide film.

I have Silver Efex as well and I think it works ok for some images, for others it just seems a bit heavy handed. I've been looking at Gavin Seim who has a series of B&W profiles available for both C1 and LR. It's an interesting approach because you can apply the profile but then tweak it right in the editor. If anyone has used some of his products, I'd be interested to hear some feedback.

I Googled and found some pieces on doing B&W conversions with CaptureOne. Interesting stuff, and I'll try to incorporate it into my shooting and give a whirl in this CS, if I can squeeze some time to shoot this week.

I Googled and found some pieces on doing B&W conversions with CaptureOne. Interesting stuff, and I'll try to incorporate it into my shooting and give a whirl in this CS, if I can squeeze some time to shoot this week.
Sounds great. I hope you aren't working too hard in your retirement. Only a few more weeks and Greg will be retiring. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I convert to B&W when an image has interesting lines, patterns, or intriguing contrasts in shadows and light that would really shine in B&W. I also convert to B&W when there are issues with the light -- I run into that sometimes when shooting birds on the lake, if there is a mixture of clouds and sun, shade and sun, etc., and my subject swims into an area where half the lighting is shady and the other half sunny. Also, as Bill mentions above, the pattens of the Hooded Mergansers in particular lend themselves nicely to B&W, although I usually edit them in color because I love the rich reddish-brown of the male Hooded Merganser along with the striking black-and-white of the "hood". This "courtship" image was one which benefits from B&W, too, because of the interlocking circular pattern in the water as well as the pattern of the birds' feathers.

I usually convert to B&W in Silver Efex and choose a preset, then adjust and tweak from there. I have also occasionally converted to B&W in DXO PhotoLab 4 (the program's own B&W, rather than using the plugin of Silver Efex) and the other day I also experimented with doing a B&W conversion in Luminar AI just to see what would happen there.

I took this photo earlier today(Thursday afternoon my time) before I saw the CS. With the 3 cross harbour tunnels and underground linking Hong Kong Island to the Kowloon Peninsula, we seldom take ferry to cross the harbour. Today I was quite free and after taking a walk along the harbour broad walk, I decided to take a ferry. It was right after rain and still quite cloudy. This is our cruise terminal, which sadly is not in use for almost a year.

View attachment 1679340

Nice shot Phil. I used to enjoy taking the ferries during business trips instead of the MTR because the latter had taken all the crowds.

Very nice, Ron. The rural scenes are so soothing. That is a lot of birds!! I've been more heavy handed with my conversions. These have a softer contrast and are really pretty!!

Thank you Terri. Sometimes I go heavy, or heavier, with the contrast but these felt better like this. There were more birds but I couldn't get them all in! They were starlings, incidentally.

Livingroom birding
_DSC1360.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom