CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couch Safari

Elephant art.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Went out on the deck to see if any of our feathered friends would cooperate. Only had a couple that came buy...not sure that this is really the right subject for conversion. Hard to seperate the birds from the bark of the trees as they . May be a little on the crunchy side.Both with the Z7 and the 200-500.

JWZ_1589.jpg

JWZ_1631.jpg

Went out on the deck to see if any of our feathered friends would cooperate. Only had a couple that came buy...not sure that this is really the right subject for conversion. Hard to seperate the birds from the bark of the trees as they . May be a little on the crunchy side.Both with the Z7 and the 200-500.

View attachment 1679385

View attachment 1679386
You conversions are always so nice. The birds in front of the trees may not especially stand out but it shows how their markings camouflage them. Thank you so much for participating!!

I have shot black and white for so long, I have a very hard time working in color.
They are different.
BW is all about tones, lines, geometry. It is simple. Tonal separations are vital.
Color is hard for me. Too many variables and the different weights of different colors makes composition more complex.
For me, unless the picture is about color, my images are shot to be bw.
I tend to like them very slightly warm, but not much.
Nik silver efex is a very very good start. I personally use alien skin exposure if I want a quick and dirty preset.
If an image is going to print I do the conversion in capture one.
At least in my hands, with the little I know, capture one gives me more control. I can basically map colors and tones to any grey I want. The hardest part about capture one is you really need to know where you want to get to, or you can find yourself out in the weeds.
Thanks for starting this thread and talking about the best parts of photography.
gary

I have shot black and white for so long, I have a very hard time working in color.
They are different.
BW is all about tones, lines, geometry. It is simple. Tonal separations are vital.
Color is hard for me. Too many variables and the different weights of different colors makes composition more complex.
For me, unless the picture is about color, my images are shot to be bw.
I tend to like them very slightly warm, but not much.
Nik silver efex is a very very good start. I personally use alien skin exposure if I want a quick and dirty preset.
If an image is going to print I do the conversion in capture one.
At least in my hands, with the little I know, capture one gives me more control. I can basically map colors and tones to any grey I want. The hardest part about capture one is you really need to know where you want to get to, or you can find yourself out in the weeds.
Thanks for starting this thread and talking about the best parts of photography.
gary
Thank you for sharing your great insights. Some of us are just getting started In Black and White so your experience is invaluable. Just about everything I know about photography I have learned on the Cafe!!

OK, a couple:

Even though it looked as though the ice on the lake had melted for the most part, interestingly, there were some places where it apparently had not. This guy was just coming up from having submerged himself and I was surprised to see what looked to me like ice on his back:

View attachment 1679338

"Hi, I don't think we've met before....." (Notice how the circles of their respective water pathways have also interlinked.....). Is this a budding romance or what?!!! :D

View attachment 1679339
Love those Hooded Mergansers in your 2nd, Connie. We might know more about a budding romance had the male raised his crest!;)

View attachment 1679385

View attachment 1679386
I like these John, although I'm having a hard time to ID those in your 1st, without color! Finches maybe? Nice work on the Downy in your 2nd.

Love those Hooded Mergansers in your 2nd, Connie. We might know more about a budding romance had the male raised his crest!;)
A lot of times these guys do go around with their "hood" raised, but I didn't realize that this also could be a sign of courting behavior, too. I'll have to pay attention to that.....

Actually, today I did see some odd behavior on the part of one pair (don't know if it is the same pair or not): the female dunked her head in the water and the male did a lot of flicking around, somewhat agitated, and yes, his hood was raised...... Hm.....

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
An afternoon at Red Rocks Park provided some nice B&W conversion material:
1. Tunnel
Red_Rocks_21D_0715.jpg

2. Path
Red_Rocks_21D_0722.jpg

3. Sunset
Red_Rocks_21D_0727.jpg

I like these John, although I'm having a hard time to ID those in your 1st, without color! Finches maybe? Nice work on the Downy in your 2nd.

Not sure myself what they are. I thought they were finches, but didn’t have any of that rose color i associate with house finches. Same bird as in my post “one of the little guys”. Has a bit of yellow mid wings.

An afternoon at Red Rocks Park provided some nice B&W conversion material:
1. Tunnel
View attachment 1679394
2. Path
View attachment 1679392
3. Sunset
View attachment 1679393
Lucky you, getting out in such a pretty place!! Thank you for sharing such nice photos with us. I hope I get the chance to get out and shoot something. We are supposed to get a storm tomorrow. I don’t like driving in bad weather. Greg does....maybe I can get him to drive me somewhere.

Real Name
Andy
We are supposed to get a storm tomorrow.
After digging my car out from a foot of snow to go to work, I felt I should drive somewhere afterwards. In typical Colorado fashion, much of the accumulation was already gone. I think freshly fallen snow is fantastic for photography - I hope you can talk Greg into venturing out into the whiteness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom