CS #738 - Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Andy
My submissions wouldn't matter if they were in color or black and white. They are just mostly white. I promised Andy I would get out and shoot today. But we didn't make it far. Most of roads in and out of town are closed. Mostly a ground blizzard, although it is snowing a little. But the heavy winds are blowing the existing snow like crazy. View attachment 1679451 View attachment 1679452 View attachment 1679453
Nice representation of the blustery conditions!

Real Name
Andy
Sunset in the review mirror.
52868E31-3F5A-42ED-997A-E4351892763A.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I hear this noise and pointed the flashlight which I keep near my bed to see what it was.

DSC_0009.jpg

And BEHOLD....SNAKES!!!...on the wall HISSING away :dead:

...or could it be just what I ate for dinner

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Belle Haven Marina, Alexandria VA
The sun came out from behind the clouds late in the afternoon, making for patterns of light and dark that were perfect for monochrome.

_WJW0334-2.jpg

_WJW0330.jpg

_WJW0321.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Bill suggested that I do some B&W drop art photography for this CS. I have to confess that, considering all the fun I've had joking with Terri in the past about cheating, I had hoped to cheat with my photos. I planned to photograph water with no coloring and present the full-color images as B&W. (That would probably have fooled everyone but only if no prismatic reflections were created. Sometimes they are; sometimes they aren't.) Unfortunately, I was too lazy to cheat. Cheating would have required removing one of the bottles from my drop art kit, cleaning it to remove the colored liquid, and returning it to the kit's frame. Instead, I photographed some liquid formations of water colored by green ink that was in one of the bottles and then converted the images to B&W using Silver Efex Pro 2.

I knew the simple formations would work well as monochromes because their lines are so strong. They actually look better to me eye as monochromes than in color.

View attachment 1679533

View attachment 1679534

View attachment 1679535
Yes! Glad you took up my suggestion. These work really well.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Here's the color shot, where you can see the acorn easily...
cs_738__DSC8312_1.jpg

Miscellaneous stuff...

1 more from the walk

View attachment 1679519

Playin'... living room gondula

View attachment 1679518

In the kitchen. In the mirror. In the other Z.

View attachment 1679517

I was snap bridging the images from the 2 cameras onto the phone. Switching on one camera, this scene appeared on the screen.The second one, sitting on the table and turned off, mirrored the kitchen scene in the holiday flat. My wife and my father in law's wife.
Very creative!!

Bill suggested that I do some B&W drop art photography for this CS. I have to confess that, considering all the fun I've had joking with Terri in the past about cheating, I had hoped to cheat with my photos. I planned to photograph water with no coloring and present the full-color images as B&W. (That would probably have fooled everyone but only if no prismatic reflections were created. Sometimes they are; sometimes they aren't.) Unfortunately, I was too lazy to cheat. Cheating would have required removing one of the bottles from my drop art kit, cleaning it to remove the colored liquid, and returning it to the kit's frame. Instead, I photographed some liquid formations of water colored by green ink that was in one of the bottles and then converted the images to B&W using Silver Efex Pro 2.

I knew the simple formations would work well as monochromes because their lines are so strong. They actually look better to me eye as monochromes than in color.

View attachment 1679533

View attachment 1679534

View attachment 1679535
I love your color drop images, but I love these, too. In the color ones my mind pays a lot of attention to the beautiful color combinations. In these black and white ones, the shapes are much more interesting and the mind can pay a lot more attention to them. Thank you for adding these to the CS.

Belle Haven Marina, Alexandria VA
The sun came out from behind the clouds late in the afternoon, making for patterns of light and dark that were perfect for monochrome.

View attachment 1679550

View attachment 1679552

View attachment 1679553
Great subject matter for Black and White. I especially love all the different items in the third shot. Black and white really ties them all together and makes a strong image. I bet that in color it would just seem like chaos. Thanks for sharing such nice examples of black and white photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom