CS #745 - The alphabet series continues with "J"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Jefferson II
_WJW1495-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Josekis
View attachment 1682469
I've been (re)learning the game of Go, which is very popular in Japan. Many books on the game use Japanese terminology, and one book I just finished had a chapter introducing Josekis. There are volumes of books on these "common" moves.

Unlike Chess, where there are a limited number of moves in the opening game, with a 19x19 Go board, the number of stone placements possible are astronomical, so over the years people have formed these Josekis as a framework for some of the early game stages (and even in middle game). There still is quite a variation that can arise, but learning some of these along with intuition can help in game play.
I played Go with college friends *way* back in the day also, Paul, but never came across Josekis.

I played Go with college friends *way* back in the day also, Paul, but never came across Josekis.
Yeah, me neither, when I played as a teen. I only knew the basic terms like atari and ko, but now I'm reading about all sorts of Japanese terms for things. Some are specific types of plays, like "hane" and "hasami", and others are more general, like "joseki", "fuseki", and "yose".

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you all my friends for participating in this CS.

May I ask?
Is there someone out there for CS #746?

I'll be in Munich until Sunday evening...

Kind regards
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom