CS #750 - Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Andy
Let's try to make photographs that use reflections. Feel free to use a polarizer to reduce or increase the effect. I've provided a few relatively mundane and literal examples, but please feel free to interpret the idea of reflections as loosely (and creatively!) as you see fit.

1. A skyline reflected in water
Calgary_20190401_09472104_19C_0697.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Another one...
San Diego_20190323_07543140_19D_1516.jpg

3. A blurred reflection
Boston-3988.jpg

4. Blurred with the assistance of an imperfect lens
Jupiter-8_20191210_10_595231_19C_6933.jpg

5. And finally something a little different - reflection of light sources:
Chicago Auto Show_20190210_19014486_19A_8644.jpg

Strangely, I cannot seem to find any good examples of reflections in glass or polished metal, which should be the ubiquitous occurrence. Please help by adding yours.

We just returned from a few hours in the Old Faithful area of Yellowstone Park and I saw this CS. Here is a photo that shows the reflection of the trees in one of the hot pools we saw today. It's a very gloomy, overcast day here. But the only rain we had was during the middle of the night last night. Tomorrow calls for a 100% chance of rain, so we may be heading home a day early.
_DSC9511-Edit.jpg

Strangely, I cannot seem to find any good examples of reflections in glass or polished metal, which should be the ubiquitous occurrence. Please help by adding yours.

I made this photo in 1999.

Mike 1999-10-18--029BW2-S.jpg

Real Name
Andy
We just returned from a few hours in the Old Faithful area of Yellowstone Park and I saw this CS. Here is a photo that shows the reflection of the trees in one of the hot pools we saw today. It's a very gloomy, overcast day here. But the only rain we had was during the middle of the night last night. Tomorrow calls for a 100% chance of rain, so we may be heading home a day early. View attachment 1683990
Thanks for getting us started with such a great photo, Terri!

I really like the way the steam mimics the trees as well as you composition of fore- middle- and background here.

TSK, TSK, TSK—Mike, CS requires only current shots!

TSK, TSK, TSK--Except that Andy explicitly asked for an example, which I inferred didn't need to be a current example. Indeed, that explains why I mentioned that my example was taken in 1999. Now that you've made such a big deal of it, I promise to provide a reflection captured during the current CS, which saddens me to realize that you have gotten your way. :ROFLMAO:

Real Name
Andy
TSK, TSK, TSK--Except that Andy explicitly asked for an example, which I inferred didn't need to be a current example. Indeed, that explains why I mentioned that my example was taken in 1999. Now that you've made such a big deal of it, I promise to provide a reflection captured during the current CS, which saddens me to realize that you have gotten your way. :ROFLMAO:
Indeed. Thank you Mike, and I look forward to your more current example, which will, no doubt, be excellent!

Were you a lawyer in a previous life? :D

Regardless, we won't let this be a reflection of you! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Real Name
Andy
As I am stuck in a hotel room (as usual), I will offer this still life, which has two reflections...

Reflection_21D_4815.jpg

Real Name
Andy
A two-dollar bill? WOW!
Yes, I go to the bank specifically to get them - they are nice to use as tips to the various people I doing honest work that I encounter in my travels. There is something special about the Jefferson notes that says more than their face value.
That depends on how you count them. By my count, I see a minimum of five reflected objects. Moreover, everything in the scene is a photo of reflected light, and I have no idea how to count that.
I struggle to make the reflections appear, never mind count them! Apparently I need to continue my reading and study of "Light: Science & Magic."

Real Name
Andy
If you're serious about that (seriousness seems to have evaded this thread thanks to Nick and me :eek: ), consider starting a thread separate from this one so we can discuss your struggles and so others can join in with tips and questions.
I did mean it when I said that I was challenged in trying to get the reflections in the photo attached to post #10, but for now, that very challenge is the whole point of the exercise of this CS (I hope): striving to find and create reflections in day to day life. Please add your words of expertise to this effort as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom