CS #752 - Rural

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in the country so I guess a shot of the backyard will do until I get a chance to wander a bit.

_DSC0771.jpg

Last edited:
In my last post in this thread (#50) I included a photo I called "Valley View". If one looks on the other side of the mountain, the view is quite a bit different:

_Z505714.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The next ridge is Sinking Creek Mountain, and the one beyond that is Salt Pond Mountain, the location of Mountain Lake Lodge where the movie "Dirty Dancing" was filmed.

The highest point on Salt Pond Mountain is about 4300 feet, one of the highest points in SW Virginia. It's about 15 miles from where we live, and we love to go up there for our walks on hot summer days because it's much cooler there. Lots of nice trails.

In my last post in this thread (#50) I included a photo I called "Valley View". If one looks on the other side of the mountain, the view is quite a bit different:

The next ridge is Sinking Creek Mountain, and the one beyond that is Salt Pond Mountain, the location of Mountain Lake Lodge where the movie "Dirty Dancing" was filmed.

The highest point on Salt Pond Mountain is about 4300 feet, one of the highest points in SW Virginia. It's about 15 miles from where we live, and we love to go up there for our walks on hot summer days because it's much cooler there. Lots of nice trails.
You live in a beautiful part of the country Jim. (y) ?

Really like the composition and all of the curves here, Jim.

Another beauty. The elevation of the town I live in is 4700 feet. It certainly hasn't been cool this week....close to 100 degrees every day. That's the reason I haven't been out to take more rural shots.

If I want to go to my gun club:

DSC_0037.jpeg

I have to pass Dollywood

DSC_0043.jpeg

Turn on "Boogertown Road"

DSC_0039.jpeg

Then go up Gnatty Branch to Kings Branch Road

DSC_0016.jpeg

If I go too far will wind up here

DSC_0033.jpeg

Or here in actual Boogertown Hollow (on the way to Blossom Hollow).

DSC_0030 (1).jpeg

^A booming real estate and vacation spot^

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Three shots from Siggen Heights. Looking southwards to the Alps.

(1)
D3S_0001.JPG

(2)
D3S_0002.JPG

(3)
D3S_0003.JPG

I took the pictures around lunch time, so the colors turned out blueish...

Enjoy
Klaus

Last night I saw ducks, a scarecrow, and Shellie's Pumpkin Patch near my house. We already have wildfires about 70 miles away and there is smoke in the air. It's horrible that this is happening in June. Temperatures have been near 100 here this week.

DSC_7085-Edit.jpg

Another beauty. The elevation of the town I live in is 4700 feet. It certainly hasn't been cool this week....close to 100 degrees every day. That's the reason I haven't been out to take more rural shots.

Thanks, Terri. I sure don't envy you those torrid temperatures, but at least it's "dry" heat.

We're having an absolutely beautiful period here this week - it's 68ºF here at 2PM with a nice breeze and beautiful blue skies.

Rural view from my hike on the Appalachian Trail today
_Z505736.jpg

Some of the things I pass on my daily walk around the sod farm aren't too beautiful.

DSC_7099.jpg
DSC_7103.jpg
DSC_7098.jpg

Thanks, Terri. I sure don't envy you those torrid temperatures, but at least it's "dry" heat.

We're having an absolutely beautiful period here this week - it's 68ºF here at 2PM with a nice breeze and beautiful blue skies.

Rural view from my hike on the Appalachian Trail today
View attachment 1685240
How pretty!! I want to visit there one of these days. What is the best time of year to hike the Appalachian Trail? Right now we are tied fairly close to home taking care of our mothers. But, we can dream of future longer trips!

How pretty!! I want to visit there one of these days. What is the best time of year to hike the Appalachian Trail? Right now we are tied fairly close to home taking care of our mothers. But, we can dream of future longer trips!

May and October would be my choices for hiking the AT, but there is beauty at any time of the year.

Here's another view from the trail today:

_Z505744.jpg

These wide-open views are not that common. Most of the time you're in the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom