CS #754 - Differing perspectives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, sorry... :ROFLMAO:
I brought this to your attention because as your daughter grows older it is going to be even more important to be mindful when shooting photos of her and of her body, regardless of what she is doing....

I suspect, too, that there is somewhat of a cultural thing going on here as well, as I know Americans tend to be more sensitive to some types of images than Europeans seem to be, an issue which can crop up every now and then in photography forums and other online places.

I really appreciate your input on that matter. I was thinking about that specific point, regarding my daughter, before.

I decided to show this one, bit I am with you: I think I would not have shown it if was her picture. I don't want to show such already, even if she's only 7.

Good point you made.

Last edited:
There are quite a few parents in the US who don't share any photos of their children on social media sites or any internet web sites at all, while others may lean in the direction of sharing somewhat or possibly oversharing until they realize or someone suggests to them that maybe that's not such a good thing and that they need to be mindful of protecting their child and his/her identity in general and also aware of the need for keeping a firm handle on how their child is portrayed in general, especially with regard to their right to privacy / respect in terms of their own physical being, their own body. It's a tricky balancing act, isn't it, trying to enjoy celebrating one's children and their activities and at the same time being cautious about what exactly is shared or not shared on the internet in terms of textual information, photographic images, etc......

As if child-rearing were not already challenging enough, eh?!

The cake is a lot more special when there is a little girl blowing out candles at her swimming/birthday party.
_DSC0058.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC0066-Edit.jpg

After years of the nag and ourselves suffering bites I decided to try to hit back. This is a horse's backside!

51281004998_e38f06a6c0_b.jpg
Horsefly Trap by warth man, on Flickr

Or at least that is what it's supposed to simulate. Female horseflies, clegs etc apparently home in on their targets by sight, looking for large, dark-coloured mammals like horses, cattle, deer etc, but they are also heat-seekers. So, a large black shape and with the heat it absorbs from the sun, the big, black ball becomes a desirable-looking feast. However, when the fly alights on it it discovers it cannot penetrate the "skin" so takes off, usually vertically. That is where the cone comes in, guiding it up towards the cylinder trap at the top.

View up inside cone:

51281558279_f422066ac9_h.jpg
Horsefly Trap 2 by warth man, on Flickr

I erected the contraption last night. As of now there is at least one cleg already out of circulation:

51281560689_2564dcde9f_h.jpg
Horsefly Trap 3 by warth man, on Flickr

After years of the nag and ourselves suffering bites I decided to try to hit back. This is a horse's backside!

View attachment 1685782 Horsefly Trap by warth man, on Flickr

Or at least that is what it's supposed to simulate. Female horseflies, clegs etc apparently home in on their targets by sight, looking for large, dark-coloured mammals like horses, cattle, deer etc, but they are also heat-seekers. So, a large black shape and with the heat it absorbs from the sun, the big, black ball becomes a desirable-looking feast. However, when the fly alights on it it discovers it cannot penetrate the "skin" so takes off, usually vertically. That is where the cone comes in, guiding it up towards the cylinder trap at the top.

View up inside cone:

View attachment 1685783 Horsefly Trap 2 by warth man, on Flickr

I erected the contraption last night. As of now there is at least one cleg already out of circulation:

View attachment 1685784 Horsefly Trap 3 by warth man, on Flickr
That looks like a good device!!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Terri, it was a wonderful CS.

Thank you for hosting
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom