CS #758 - Going postal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
To honor our daily helpers and services...

Please show pictures of letters, parcels and packages, trucks, mailboxes and anything else related to this theme.

Examples will follow
Klaus

Busy place...
_JZ66689.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I sell books and photo stuff I don't need on Amazon, mostly books. I mailed this book "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee to someone in SC yesterday using media mail. On Amazon buyers choose the shipping method, media mail is usually the choice for books given it's inexpensive. I buy the shipping thru Amazon, the process is very painless on my end.

mailed.jpg

Reminder to be out of town that day.
_DSC3050.JPG

Real Name
Bill Walderman
The Old Post Office Building, Washington DC
_WJW2589-2_edit.jpeg

Built in the last decade of the 19th century to house the administration of the United States Post Office Department, this building has been something of a white elephant for most of its history, the Post Office having moved out after just 15 years. Several attempts to demolish the building were thwarted over the years. I've seen it go through several avatars during my working life -- from 1988 to 2012, my office was just across Pennsylvania Avenue. Now it houses a hotel. Although I'm partial to the Romanesque Revival style, I have to confess that this heavy pile isn't my favorite example, despite its status as a "beloved landmark" in DC. In fairness, it adds some variety to the sterile classicism of the government buildings surrounding it in the Federal Triangle, A statue of Benjamin Franklin, the first Postmaster General, stands in front.
_WJW2582-4.jpg

Last edited:
The Old Post Office Building, Washington DC
View attachment 1686811
Built in the last decade of the 19th century to house the administration of the United States Post Office Department, this building has been something of a white elephant for most of its history, the Post Office having moved out after just 15 years. Several attempts to demolish the building were thwarted over the years. I've seen it go through several avatars during my working life -- from 1988 to 2012, my office was just across Pennsylvania Avenue. Now it houses a hotel. Although I'm partial to the Romanesque Revival style, I have to confess that this heavy pile isn't my favorite example, despite its status as a "beloved landmark" in DC. In fairness, it adds some variety to the sterile classicism of the government buildings surrounding it in the Federal Triangle, A statue of Benjamin Franklin, the first Postmaster General, stands in front.
View attachment 1686813
That's certainly a grand old building, Bill.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
A typical German mailbox from the 80's...

D6_0002.JPG

D6_0003.JPG

Original condition btw.

Enjoy
Klaus

Well, the cost per ounce was correct when I bought the envelopes.

DSC_0001.jpeg

Not so much now though

Real Name
Andy
Well, the cost per ounce was correct when I bought the envelopes.
I have sheets of one cent stamps that (before Forever stamps became the norm) would come in handy to "top off" the postage when straddled with stamps after a rate change. If I send them to you, you could stick 22 of them on your prepaid 33 cent envelope and mail it, which could be entertaining for the recipient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom