CS #758 - Going postal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Old Post Office Building, Washington DC
View attachment 1686811
Built in the last decade of the 19th century to house the administration of the United States Post Office Department, this building has been something of a white elephant for most of its history, the Post Office having moved out after just 15 years. Several attempts to demolish the building were thwarted over the years. I've seen it go through several avatars during my working life -- from 1988 to 2012, my office was just across Pennsylvania Avenue. Now it houses a hotel. Although I'm partial to the Romanesque Revival style, I have to confess that this heavy pile isn't my favorite example, despite its status as a "beloved landmark" in DC. In fairness, it adds some variety to the sterile classicism of the government buildings surrounding it in the Federal Triangle, A statue of Benjamin Franklin, the first Postmaster General, stands in front.
View attachment 1686813

Impressive old building, and you photographed it in nice light.

Mail Delivery

_Z506045.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_Z506047.jpg

This was a substitute delivery person today, and the envelope she put in our box was addressed to someone down the street.

I wonder if she put our mail in someone else's box.

Mail Delivery

View attachment 1686912

View attachment 1686913

This was a substitute delivery person today, and the envelope she put in our box was addressed to someone down the street.

I wonder if she put our mail in someone else's box.
Happens on occasion here also, Jim. Given the huge volume of mail, all of the needed sorting, and delivery, I don't begrudge any errors.

Nice..Question: What happens when Elizabeth Rex is no longer the reigning monarch to those postboxes?

They stay in place until they need to be changed due to damage or no longer being fit for purpose. All new ones will carry the new monarch's initial. EIIR postboxes are not found in Scotland because Elizabeth 1st did not reign over Scotland. I believe some were installed in the early days of Elizabeth II's reign but they were fairly quickly vandalised and some were even blown up! You will find post boxes all around the UK with older monarch's initials on them. It takes a lot to damage them. Pretty hefty cast iron. Also, just for accuracy, it is actually Elizabeth II Regina. Rex is masculine - just ask lots of dogs, usually of the German Shepherd variety.

Last edited:
They stay in place until they need to be changed due to damage or no longer being fit for purpose. All new ones will carry the new monarch's initial. EIIR postboxes are not found in Scotland because Elizabeth 1st did not reign over Scotland. I believe some were installed in the early days of Elizabeth II's reign but they were fairly quickly vandalised and some were even blown up! You will find post boxes all around the UK with older monarch's initials on them. It takes a lot to damage them. Pretty hefty cast iron. Also, just for accuracy, it is actually Elizabeth II Regina. Rex is masculine - just ask lots of dogs, usually of the German Shepherd variety.
Good to know..and oops faux pas. re: monarch gender ...I hope she forgives me.

Real Name
Andy
Almost immediately after moving into our house last September, one of the delivery trucks bumped the mailbox, which was located opposite the end of our driveway. Over the next several weeks, it became obvious that this had happened many times before and the post was getting loose in the ground.

Then, one of my teenagers delivered the coup de grace to the invisible mailbox.

For a period of time afterwards, we guy wired the intrepid old mailbox by its battle-scarred post to the ground like a freshly planted sapling.

At last, I got around to digging a proper post hole and filled it with a bag of quick set concrete before inserting a pressure treated 4x4 post.

Here you can see the new assembly standing safely distant from people who are expert at mirrorless operation - of motor vehicles.
CS758_21D_5866.jpg

Almost immediately after moving into our house last September, one of the delivery trucks bumped the mailbox, which was located opposite the end of our driveway. Over the next several weeks, it became obvious that this had happened many times before and the post was getting loose in the ground.

For a period of time afterwards, we guy wired the intrepid old mailbox by its battle-scarred post to the ground like a freshly planted sapling.

At last, I got around to digging a proper post hole and filled it with a bag of quick set concrete before inserting a pressure treated 4x4 post.

Here you can see the new assembly standing safely distant from people who are expert at mirrorless operation - of motor vehicles.
View attachment 1686952
Andy - your tale reminds me of my son's driving test after he took Driver's Ed in High School. Near the end of the test, he was asked to parallel park in a quiet neighborhood. Yep - he backed into someone's mailbox! And, yep: he passed!:D

View attachment 1686952

Neat job Andy. I always wonder how much mail is stolen from those boxes. Lots, or little?

View attachment 1686952

Looks like a solid one.

After our house was built in 1987 I put up a 6 x 6 treated wood post for our mailbox. It's still going strong after 34 years.

Nothing too exciting here..... One of several kiosk-housed cluster mailbox groups in my condominium community. We have been told that the community will be getting new mailboxes soon, and that news is welcomed by everyone, since there have been issues with boxes failing for various reasons and keys lost and all other sorts of situations. Looking forward to the new boxes and I hope that they are also a bit larger than these small ones we have now......

Mailboxes.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom