CS #759 - Macro and Closeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some really wonderful photos already! And that's despite that so few people have the new Nikon Z macro lenses in hand. :D

After realizing our home has at least one invader and after going to the store today to purchase this solution to the problem, I couldn't help but think of Andy's Collective Shoot. Fourteen focus-stacked images captured with a Tamron 90mm macro lens.

View attachment 1687151

Any captures yet?

Some really wonderful photos already! And that's despite that so few people have the new Nikon Z macro lenses in hand. :D

After realizing our home has at least one invader and after going to the store today to purchase this solution to the problem, I couldn't help but think of Andy's Collective Shoot. Fourteen focus-stacked images captured with a Tamron 90mm macro lens.

View attachment 1687151

Interesting-looking bait there Mike. Is it cake?

I found that the mice hereabouts are fast enough or careful enough to be able to snatch food from the traps without becoming victims so I had to change tactics. For some years now I've used slices of carrot (long-lasting) and both skewer them and tie them onto the presentation prong using sewing thread. My success rate improved a lot!

Coneflower
_JZ66986_Nik.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interesting-looking bait there Mike. Is it cake?

It's part of a bagel. I knew the mouse would go for it because discovering a missing chunk out of the same bagel made me realize we have at least one mouse in the house.

You're right that the mice can grab the bread without setting off the trap, as that's exactly what happened. So, I switched to soft cheese and inserted the bait holder into the cheese. Doing so caught a mouse in one trap but the other trap didn't trip even though the bait had been removed. Then I remembered that my family used peanut butter when I was a child. (I don't remember setting a mouse trap since then.) That made sense because it's sticky and seems that it would be tough to remove from the trap. The one and only article I read on the Internet about the ideal food indicates that, sure enough, peanut butter works best. Oddly, it mentioned that it's best only because it attracts the mice and didn't mention anything about it being difficult for the mouse to get away unscathed. I'll try using peanut butter tonight before I go to bed.

Last edited:
It's part of a bagel. I knew the mouse would go for it because it was when I discovered a missing chunk out of the same bagel that I realized we have at least one mouse in the house.

You're right that the mice can grab the bread without setting off the trap, as that's exactly what happened. So, I switched to soft cheese and inserted the bait holder into the cheese. Doing so caught a mouse in one trap but the other trap didn't trip even though the bait had been removed. Then I remembered that my family used peanut butter when I was a child. (I don't remember setting a mouse trap since then.) That made sense because it's sticky and seems that it would be tough to remove from the trap. The first article I read on the Internet about the ideal food indicates that, sure enough, peanut butter works best. Oddly, it mentioned that it's best only because it attracts the mice and didn't mention anything about it being difficult for the mouse to get away unscathed. I'll try using peanut butter tonight before I go to bed.
I have successfully trapped 1000's of little rodents using a mixture of crunchy peanut butter, raw oats and salt. For my master's in wildlife ecology I studied coyote food habits and predation on south Texas sheep ranches, and I used trapping to estimate rodent populations. Ever since, I am to go-to guy for rodent elimination! Empty sprung traps? Not in my world (y):blackalien:

Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro + Nikon 52.5 extension tube + the old Photoshop Pixel Bender plugin...

Zinia.jpg

Zinia_Panorama 5.jpg

Zinia_Panorama 4.jpg

Zinia_Panorama 3.jpg

Very interesting to see all the natural symmetry in a Zinnia blossom.
Here's the original (minus my photoshopery). :)

Zinia_1.jpg

Fun topic. I came home from Glacier with a nasty summer cold a week ago, but today I felt well enough to get outside. We had a big rainstorm this morning. It was the first one in months. I had to photograph some raindrops on my plants.

_DSC0978.jpg

_DSC0884.jpg

_DSC0904.jpg

Two more....Raindrops on Roses....
_DSC0941.jpg
_DSC0947.jpg

With the new house, I've been super busy with projects. A very important one, was to get power to the basement for a workshop, safe, reloading station, and rack for a future home theater (and to correct a 15A circuit that was run for an outlet over the fireplace).

Four new breakers...
cs_759_760__DSC8947.jpg

Involving working in the 200 amp electrical panel with...

Three dangerous wires...
cs_759_760__DSC8946.jpg

Using over 200 feet of...

12/2 Wire...
cs_759_760__DSC8954.jpg

To install eight quad boxes, and one duplex box of...

GFCI/AFCI 20A Outlets...
cs_759_760__DSC8952.jpg

Now I have MORE POWER!!!

Oh, and Harmony Energy Works installed a 11.9 Kwh photovoltaic solar panel system, roughed in for a propane generator, which won't be available until October January, and battery backup, which I hope will be in around September.

I'm hoping that Monday or Tuesday, the utility company will be here to switch over my meter to a net meter, so that I can turn this bad boy on...

cs_759_760__DSC8949.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom