CS #760 - On the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a 1970 Road Runner, even had a beep beep horn.
Road Runer Plymout.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Pan Mass Challenge, a fund raiser for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, is back this year. Two of the 16 routes run through my town. The first route is 111 miles and each rider must raise a minimum $4,000 to participate and the second route is 192 miles and each participant must raise $6,000 to participate. The ride starts at 5:30 a.m. and the first riders come through a few minutes after 6:00 a.m. Some riders take much longer due to the hills in the 12 mile ride to my town. There were only a couple thousand riders this year since some are riding virtually.

HAL_5268_DxO.jpg

HAL_5276_DxO.jpg

Oops! This street in my neighborhood was recently repainted. Notice the contradiction between the directional options painted on the street and displayed on the hanging signs.

Mike 2021-08-07--0001-S.jpg

The Pan Mass Challenge, a fund raiser for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, is back this year. Two of the 16 routes run through my town. The first route is 111 miles and each rider must raise a minimum $4,000 to participate and the second route is 192 miles and each participant must raise $6,000 to participate. The ride starts at 5:30 a.m. and the first riders come through a few minutes after 6:00 a.m. Some riders take much longer due to the hills in the 12 mile ride to my town. There were only a couple thousand riders this year since some are riding virtually.
Awesome, Dave!👍

I took my new ride out on the road for its first extended road trip yesterday in order to enjoy my 1st visit to Mesa Verde NP. It was a beautiful and scenic trek all the way on down on state highway CO 141 to nearby Cortez.

Today, at Mesa Verde, was, well . . .as a 1st time visitor, I can say that both the landscape and the Ancestral Pueblo ruins are surely spectacular. And I can only opine about those parts of the area that were visible to me, given the nasty wildfire smoke from Oregon that caused all of CO to be under an Air Quality Advisory today.:eek:

It wasn’t overly crowded, and folks were very much friendly and respectful. Cliff Palace Loop was closed for construction, but Mesa Top Loop was open. I doubt that I managed any “calendar worthy” photos in today’s haze, but I’ve worked up these two in Photoshop. I’ll attach those, plus a third (much farther in the distance with a long lens) that is SOOC (Straight Out Of the Camera) just to give an idea of the air quality.

I’m looking forward to coming back in the Fall with clear skies. I’m so impressed by what the Ancestral Pueblo people were able to do out there given the limited resources available. IMHO, even without a level playing field, these structures rival any of the European Gothic cathedrals of that same ca. 1100 - 1300 A.D. (?) time period.

Square Tower House low key.jpg

Oak Tree House low key.jpg

SOOC 1129.jpg

Not on topic or thread but, re CS #758, "Going Postal" - I just stumbled across another internet reference that says this is a US slang term for someone going or becoming overwhelmingly angry. Was I the only one that didn't know that?

"Going Postal" - I just stumbled across another internet reference that says this is a US slang term for someone going or becoming overwhelmingly angry. Was I the only one that didn't know that?

I can understand that only Americans may be familiar with that term. That's because, at least as I remember it, the term originated when a disgruntled employee or former employee of America's postal service went into a post office and shot people with a gun.

I took my new ride out on the road for its first extended road trip yesterday in order to enjoy my 1st visit to Mesa Verde NP. It was a beautiful and scenic trek all the way on down on state highway CO 141 to nearby Cortez.

Today, at Mesa Verde, was, well . . .as a 1st time visitor, I can say that both the landscape and the Ancestral Pueblo ruins are surely spectacular. And I can only opine about those parts of the area that were visible to me, given the nasty wildfire smoke from Oregon that caused all of CO to be under an Air Quality Advisory today.:eek:

It wasn’t overly crowded, and folks were very much friendly and respectful. Cliff Palace Loop was closed for construction, but Mesa Top Loop was open. I doubt that I managed any “calendar worthy” photos in today’s haze, but I’ve worked up these two in Photoshop. I’ll attach those, plus a third (much farther in the distance with a long lens) that is SOOC (Straight Out Of the Camera) just to give an idea of the air quality.

I’m looking forward to coming back in the Fall with clear skies. I’m so impressed by what the Ancestral Pueblo people were able to do out there given the limited resources available. IMHO, even without a level playing field, these structures rival any of the European Gothic cathedrals of that same ca. 1100 - 1300 A.D. (?) time period.

Thanks for taking me back to a place I've enjoyed in the past. You did well considering the conditions.

Next time, journey on down to New Mexico to Chaco Canyon. There is some very impressive stone work there, too, from the same era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom