CS #767 - Septemberfest

Status
Not open for further replies.
One if my favorite sayings of Benjamin Franklin, perhaps because it applies so well to me: “Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.”
By coincidence, I just read that quotation in the past couple of hours with reference to someone who has just lost a lot of money he'd invested in wind turbines. The directors of the turbine company didn't though. Maybe I should go for that Leica after all!

Real Name
Andy
By coincidence, I just read that quotation in the past couple of hours with reference to someone who has just lost a lot of money he'd invested in wind turbines. The directors of the turbine company didn't though. Maybe I should go for that Leica after all!
Definitely a luxury, but probably not the act of a fool. I'm pretty sure you can always count on Leica to invest in making top notch optics.

One of my favorite sayings of Benjamin Franklin, perhaps because it applies so well to me: “Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.”
We expected the dust given the prevailing wind but farmers don't generally give advance notice, which sometimes results in a mad dash to close things up. :)

End of September generally means a weekend in the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem.

Bull Elk on the Firehole River
View attachment 1689879

Ruffed Grouse
View attachment 1689880

Bull Elk in almost near darkness
View attachment 1689881

Colors in Island Park Idaho
View attachment 1689882

Flying Red Squirrel at our campsite
View attachment 1689883

Merganser on the Firehole River
View attachment 1689884

Cow Elk crossing the Firehole River
View attachment 1689885

Excellent set, Bill. Thanks for posting and reminding me of what I am missing.

My only gripe about the weekend was the sheer number of people in the park. Holy cow. If it wasn't for the color of the Aspens I would swear it was mid-summer.

...or maybe not. I hate crowded places.

Real Name
Andy
September in Florida means the beginning of the bigger swim meets. Today was the County Championship Prelims. My son Connor has been improving greatly as a competitive swimmer. Here he is on his way to a 2.5-second PR in the 100-yd breaststroke and a spot in the finals.
County_Prelims_21C_5542.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken St John
September in Florida means the beginning of the bigger swim meets. Today was the County Championship Prelims. My son Connor has been improving greatly as a competitive swimmer. Here he is on his way to a 2.5-second PR in the 100-yd breaststroke and a spot in the finals.
View attachment 1689896
Congrats to Connor ... and his swim parents!! As I recall, our son's PR was 58.6 or so in the 100 breast. Then he discovered water polo ... and his swim times went by the wayside!!

Ken

Real Name
Bill Walderman
We had spectacular weather yesterday: warm but not hot, low humidity, clear skies. So I took a walk with my dog on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Potomac MD, from Old Anglers Inn (about Mile 12.2) to Mile Marker 14, about 3 1/2 miles round trip (near my limit).

1. Widewater above Old Anglers Inn
_WJW3108.jpg

2. Back channel of the Potomac just below MM 14
_WJW3135-5.jpg

3. Water weir, MM13
_WJW3113-8.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
One more from the C&O Canal: goldenrod in bloom
_WJW3121-2.jpg

Like Bill, I was outdoors yesterday enjoying a truly delightful early Autumn afternoon at Green Spring Gardens in Annandale, VA. The flowers there yesterday were different, of course, than the ones in bloom the last time I went, which was about a month ago. It was a bit windy, not ideal for shooting macro, so I had to crank up the shutter speed significantly.

One thing which really surprised me -- I hadn't realized that they had fruit trees on the property, and one of them had these cute little fruits. They were too small and not the right shape to be apples, so I'm not sure what they are. So September isn't too late for growing fruit....

Still Plenty of Green in Early Autumn.jpeg

We had spectacular weather yesterday: warm but not hot, low humidity, clear skies. So I took a walk with my dog on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Potomac MD, from Old Anglers Inn (about Mile 12.2) to Mile Marker 14, about 3 1/2 miles round trip (near my limit).

1. Widewater above Old Anglers Inn
View attachment 1689903

2. Back channel of the Potomac just below MM 14
View attachment 1689908

3. Water weir, MM13
View attachment 1689906
Very scenic area. The third shot is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.