CS #767 - Septemberfest

Status
Not open for further replies.
September in Florida means the beginning of the bigger swim meets. Today was the County Championship Prelims. My son Connor has been improving greatly as a competitive swimmer. Here he is on his way to a 2.5-second PR in the 100-yd breaststroke and a spot in the finals.
View attachment 1689896
Very exciting for your family!!

September has been particularly beautiful here this year. We decided to end up the month camping about 40 miles away from home in an area that has pretty fall colors.

Yesterday we went on a Razor ride to a pretty area. The light was terrible in the middle of the day for photography, but the ride was fun.
DSC_9549-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last evening we went on a walk leaving from our campground. There are a lot of cottonwood trees along the bank of a creek.

DSC_9580-Edit.jpg

September has been particularly beautiful here this year. We decided to end up the month camping about 40 miles away from home in an area that has pretty fall colors.

Yesterday we went on a Razor ride to a pretty area. The light was terrible in the middle of the day for photography, but the ride was fun.
View attachment 1689936

Last evening we went on a walk leaving from our campground. There are a lot of cottonwood trees along the bank of a creek.

View attachment 1689938
Looks like beautiful country. Well captured! What is a Razor ride?

Looks like beautiful country. Well captured! What is a Razor ride?
A Razor (RXR) is a side by side All Terrain Vehicle. There is so much public land in Idaho with many, many trails and dirt roads suitable for All Terrain Vehicles. They are very popular. Ours is getting older. We bought it in 2012.

https://rzr.polaris.com/en-us/

Lots of nice photos in this thread. I don't have time to comment on all of them, unfortunately. Andy has hit on an excellent idea for this week.

Around here in September we will often see one or two smaller maples don their Fall colors well before the surrounding forest, making for a colorful splash of red and gold in the green.

Found these two on my walk today.

_Z506376_020.JPG
_Z506374_021.JPG

Real Name
Andy
Our second September in South Florida has made us notice that certain orchids bloom in this month. I don't know anything about these beautiful flowers other than the fact that they do well here in the heat and humidity.

1. A white one from the front yard
Orchids_21D_7368.jpg

2. A purple one from the back
Orchids_21D_7360.jpg

Real Name
Bill Walderman

View attachment 1689936

View attachment 1689938
I like both, but for me the second is particularly enchanting, maybe because I like images with fences.

Real Name
Andy
The recent clearing of the lot next door eliminated an owl's nest and a hawk's, but now there are numerous wading birds. I continue to be surprised by how many relatively immature animals there are in South Florida's September. Up north, late development would really reduce an animal's chances of making it through the winter.

1. Ibis tend to like my neighborhood during the wetness of September
Yardbirds_21D_7376.jpg

2. A juvenile, starting to turn white
Yardbirds_21D_7402.jpg

3. Juvenile Whistling duck (I think)
Yardbirds_21D_7408.jpg

4. He is still learning to fly, making it pretty easy to keep him in frame!
Yardbirds_21D_7410.jpg

5. Snowy egret
Yardbirds_21D_7416.jpg

Took the grand dog up to the fabulous dog park in Park City, UT, complete with its dedicated, dogs-only pond and exercise track. This is Stanley, AKA the creature from the blue lagoon.

For a Lab, any month is a water month!

Color96.jpg

Color185.jpg

Color140.jpg

Yeah, missed focus a bit! Damn, lose nut behind the viewfinder!

The recent clearing of the lot next door eliminated an owl's nest and a hawk's, but now there are numerous wading birds. I continue to be surprised by how many relatively immature animals there are in South Florida's September. Up north, late development would really reduce an animal's chances of making it through the winter.

1. Ibis tend to like my neighborhood during the wetness of September
View attachment 1689994
2. A juvenile, starting to turn white
View attachment 1689995
3. Juvenile Whistling duck (I think)
View attachment 1689996
4. He is still learning to fly, making it pretty easy to keep him in frame!
View attachment 1689998
5. Snowy egret
View attachment 1689997

Excellent bird photos, Andy, especially #5.

September around here is the time of the acorn fall. This year they have been especially abundant, and it can get very noisy when the wind blows.

Acorn on moss
_Z506383.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.