1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CS #91 - Main street

Discussion in 'The Collective Shoot' started by waltny, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    This is the posting thread for "Main Street" .

To those that might participate outside of the US I apologize in advance for the homespun monoply on this weeks CS.

Well this week I have been allowed to host my first CS, "Main Street". I got the inspiration for this while I was out on the road traveling through MN to UT. Each town along the way when we devated from the highway had an intriguing Main Street that I wanted to shoot(on the road with a non shooter is no fun....). Each of these bustling or desolate streets had a story to tell, and they are all across America. So what better time to celebrate something as American as Main Street than over the celebration of our independence as a country? I figure most small town or larger town main streets to be huge places of activity; be it markets, festivals or parades. So get out there and show us your little slice of America know as main street.

We will do 3-5 photos per, and start the CS on Thursday morning(your time) and end Monday morning(your time).
    Id like to see one photo with the actual Main Street sign in the picture to challenge your composition skills.

Example:
    Main Street, Wall Drug, Wall, SD
    waldrugcopy.

2. My Main Street... Well sort of

Although I don't live in the city, this is Zanesville, Ohio, the county seat of Muskingum County.

Looking west on Main street, with the "Y" bridge in the distance. This was part of the old National Road, between Wheeling, WVA and Columbus, Ohio. Now US 40.
    2639232315_cf2a5581ee_o.

Many of the downtown businesses have disappeared over the years due to the trends toward shopping centers and malls. Now law offices, antique shops and art galleries have taken place of five and dime stores, furniture stores, dress shops, Sears, J.C.Penney, and others we used to find downtown. On a positive note, some of the old buildings are being restored, to the credit of their owners.

View attachment 220880

View attachment 220882

View attachment 220883

Main street is also home to the County court house and various banks.

2639232329_de68c05f11_o.

And last is a view of the "Y" Bridge, part of the old national road, as seen from Putnam Hill park. The Muskingum river (still muddy from recent storms) is the larger of the two rivers flowing under the bridge. The Licking river, flowing from Licking county (Newark, Ohio area) is the smaller stream on the left. On the right side of the frame, you can see a raised section of the railroad bridge raised to allow boat traffic through the canal (Lock 10 on the Muskingum).

View attachment 220886

Hope you enjoyed your mini tour.

3. Excellent series, Tom. My in laws are from Zanesville, and although I've never been, I've heard about the Y bridge many times.

4. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Super!

Just beautiful Tom:) 

What a wonderful place to live near... Very scenic. Great shots, my favorite is the statue of the firefighter.

I will try to get out to "main street" tonight, but there is nothing close to that nice around these parts:( 

Keith:) 

5. Thank you Dave. Very kind of you. You should visit sometime, and if so, PM me. I would love to meet you in person.

Thanks Keith. Of course I tried to show some of the better aspects of the area. I look forward to seeing your photos.

6. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV

You nailed it, dead on. I hope that others come pouring in behind in the same fashion. The one with the main street sign is just what I was hoping to see(for that one particular shot), AWESOME.
    I definately visited this little town through your eyes. The eastern seaboard to midddle America is loaded with good stuff like this.
    F8 and be there...........

7. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Ok, I know I need to get cracking with this topic, but I've been out hunting for the right shot three times already, and unless you wanna see trash on the sidewalks and run down pawn shops, I'm gonna have to make a trip out of town:( 

8. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    More history…

The original (ca. 1803) road from Wheeling W.Va. to Maysville Ky. was Zanes Trace. Now designated OH state road 22, it leads from Zanesville through Lancaster, where it forms Lancaster’s Main St. At the center of downtown Lancaster, the four corners of the intersection of Main St. with Broad St. are populated by the municipal building and three small parks. These are Zane Square, a war memorial with a statue of General William Tecumseh Sherman, and a bandstand. The paving bricks of the area are inscribed with the names of former area residents who have sacrificed their lives for their country.

I got there too late to avoid the extremely harsh light and deep shadows around Sherman’s statue:redface:, but I think the other three corners might be acceptable. [The Main St. sign is in front of the municipal building -- you get a prize if you can read it.:biggrin:]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I got downtown on July 4, mostly because I was taking part in some of the celebration. So here are a few snaps from Eureka, CA.

The first is looking east down 2nd Street in Old Town. Government buildings are a few blocks away on a very busy street that also acts as Hwy 101; not very photogenic. On the 4th they close down several blocks of 2nd Street for a gala celebration, hence the people and no cars.

326672890_3TyHJ-L.
    NIKON D200    ---    32mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 100

The one below is the very first Restoration Hardware store. It expanded out of Eureka into the national chain it is today.

326672936_zZcSD-L.
    NIKON D200    ---    18mm    f/11.0    1/100s    ISO 100

This is the corner of 2nd and F Street where there is a nice brick covered plaza and a gazebo. The building is an old commercial building with shops and offices.

326672839_RMBuE-L.
    NIKON D200    ---    18mm    f/9.0    1/320s    ISO 100

The building needs a bit of maintenance.....

326672792_Qr8oa-L.
    NIKON D200    ---    95mm    f/9.0    1/320s    ISO 100

Looking up F Street shows some of the Victorian architecture that Eureka is famous for...

326672726_rcTLC-L.
    NIKON D200    ---    42mm    f/9.0    1/125s    ISO 100

Some of the festivities on the plaza....

326672671_XSEbe-L.
    NIKON D200    ---    22mm    f/10.0    1/200s    ISO 100

10. Not much going on in our small town Main Street over the long weekend. Here are a few from this afternoon...

[​IMG]

Not much on Main Street aside from the county courthouse...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still adding names to this unfortunately...

[​IMG]

11. In keeping with the "small town Ohio" sub-theme, I present Main Street, Chillicothe, Ohio.

Chillicothe takes a lot of pride in the fact that it was the last capital of the Northwest Territory and the first capital of Ohio. The Ross County Court House is on the site of that first Ohio Statehouse. There was a nice patriotic concert this evening, accompanied by the ever-present "Taxes Due" sign.

[​IMG]

The Chillicothe Gazette is the 2nd oldest newspaper in continuous operations in the US and the oldest business in Ohio. It's housed in a replica of the first Ohio Statehouse. It's a Gannett paper, so not too ironic that there's a USA Today box out front.

[​IMG]

Like any good Main Street and seat of government, there needs to be a tavern nearby. (Maybe it's a replica of Ohio's first... :wink:) 

[​IMG]

And I guess a lot of Main Streets have at least one burned out building.

[​IMG]

But many buildings on Chillicothe's Main Street have had careful, and even fun restorations.

[​IMG]

And like any Main Street anywhere, it's easy to find kids who'll mug for a camera.

[​IMG]

12. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    And, Chillicothe is another town along Zane's Trace.

13. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Some great stuff so far

Well its getting late and IM falling asleep at the wheel so to speak, so Im going to throw up my shots and fill in the backstory tomorrow.

This is in the same area as #3 with similar story.
    main1.

Here is my Main Street sign in the shot. This is at the corner of Gentile(named so as back in the day it is where all the gentiles lived, in this area the gentiles are the non mormon folks such as myself) and Main. The building in the backdrop is an old farmers bank, building in 1898
    View attachment 220910

This shot I took as I layed on the ground and rested on the curb. This little section of main street is known as "old" Main street. There is a curb and is distincly seperated from the current Main street. It was the original and over time they just decided to move it over a few feet. Its a bit of a pain to navigate.
    View attachment 220911

This is part of south Main as it goes over top of the interstate and drops back into Layton. I dont know if this store is still in use or abondoned. I was surprised to see the light on. Honestly though I rarely ever go down in this section of town, so it will bear some further investigation on my part to satitisfy my curiousity.
    View attachment 220912

This is an old house on Main street, and to be honest I dont know if IM still in Layton or if I crossed over into Kaysville. Im assuming this is some old pioneer home or one of the weathly early church leaders of the mormon faith.
    View attachment 220913

Sill's diner. This little gem of a diner seats maybe 25-30 some people. Some of the best food Ive had in a while here in Utah. They have a thing called a scone(kinda like an elephant ear) that is really good amoung others. Ive been here in Utah for almost 2 years and never knew it was down there till a few weeks ago. This picture also illustrates the "double" main street I was explaining above.
    View attachment 220914

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  14. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Tim, your Main Street sure has some wonderful skies.

15. Boy, I'll say!

I've enjoyed all the submissions so far-all are very well done.

16. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Thanks gentlemen.
    I got lucky on the skies. I went out to the mountains Sat and Sunday morning was church and going out with friends afterwards. Then it was head home and get the house together as my wife has a friend coming in to visit tomorrow. So I was finding myself short on time to participate in the CS and managed to get time to run an erran in the golden hour. I took care of business and got down there just as the sky started to blaze. I was hitting and running so I wouldnt run out of that light and beautiful skies. I started to question which I was showcasing more....
    Anyhow we do get some amazing sunsets here. We are a high mountain valley(4500 el) and the moutains on each side of us are in the 9500 el range. The sun starts to reflect of them(front and back) and gives off some amazing colors. Also someof the polution and dust in the air helps too.

17. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    I see that you got Stockmans bar in the shot... Had I still been assigned at HAFB, you may very well have had a red celica in the foreground:)  I recommend stopping by the great harvest bread store, they have amazing baked goods there:) 

18. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Sills is one of the greats. Small town USA diner with friendly people and great atmosphere. I'm sorry you didn't know about it, I would have let you in on this little gem long ago.

The sky does look great... one humble observation, if I may... the trees look just slightly over "shadow-highlight tooled". Just in my opinion. (But the sky really does look good) Almost has a HDR quality/feel to it.

Oh yeah, and one more thing Soldier, there is no "u" in among:) 

19. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Here are some of the Main Street of my neighboring city. (My city does not have a main street)

Almost no PP done, I don't have time this evening. Just gonna throw them up here and see what you think.

_D317142Main1.
    NIKON D300    ---    18mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    ISO 200

_D317153Main5.
    NIKON D300    ---    31mm    f/8.0    1/640s    ISO 200

_D317166Main2.
    NIKON D300    ---    26mm    f/8.0    1/500s    ISO 200

_D317169Main3.
    NIKON D300    ---    31mm    f/8.0    1/400s    ISO 200

_D317190Main4.
    NIKON D300    ---    50mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    ISO 200

-Stupid cones-

Thanks for taking a look,

Keith:) 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  20. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Yes you caught me.... I exposed for the sky resulting in the trees and most of the street being darker than I would have liked. Its possible I over dodged it, guess it all depends on your screen. I think Im still saving off in adobe color space so that may be part of the problem when they upload to photobucket and get down resolutioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.